Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windy (Gusts to 60MPH) + Heavy Rain & Flooding Thursday/Friday (June 7/8th)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Siobhan "Relentless" Ryan gave a very satisfactory forecast there and there should be no complaints about insufficient warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its comeing up to Five to midnight so lets head over to Met Eireann on RTE Radio 1/Sky 0160 for the latest.

Wow.Some forecast there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Wow.Some forecast there!!

Missed it, has the relentlessness been upgraded?

It was David Rogers "and during this spell of severe weather we will issue regular updates on our website www.met.ie" "winds could touch storm force in the SW,W later tomorrow".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Was on a friends boat tonight and valentia coast guard issued a storm warning for the west coast tomorrow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

120mm predicted for parts of the midlands according to maps on previous page, that sounds like alot of rain, imagine if it was winter we had all that in snowfall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Amazing the difference between HIRLAM and NAE for this event at such short range.

HIRLAM has the worst of it up along the west coast but with totals generally around 60mm at most away from west Cork and Kerry

NAE has everything 100 miles further east with up to 120mm in the Midlands and very heavy rain all along the Shannon basin which could lead to serious flooding

Its going to be a miserable day but an interesting one to watch at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Heavy rain just pushing in over Cork, its gonna be a wet one!:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

Harps wrote: »
    Amazing the difference between HIRLAM and NAE for this event at such short range.

HIRLAM has the worst of it up along the west coast but with totals generally around 60mm at most away from west Cork and Kerry

NAE has everything 100 miles further east with up to 120mm in the Midlands and very heavy rain all along the Shannon basin which could lead to serious flooding

Its going to be a miserable day but an interesting one to watch at the same time!

Harps how will Donegal fair in your opinion?
    It's been a while by the way,hope your well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Met Eireann just updated their Gale warning at 0500

Weather Warning

Issued at 07 June 2012 - 01:47
    Weather Warning
    Today, Thursday, rainfall accumulations of 25 to 45mm will occur widely in Leinster and Ulster. In Connaught and Munster higher accumulations of 35 to 60mm will occur, and some mountainous regions in these provinces are likely to record 60 to 90mm.

Strong winds will be a feature of today's weather also. East to northeast winds will reach gale force for a time in parts of Leinster and Ulster. In many parts of Connaught and Munster, north to northwest gales will occur by afternoon and gusts as high as 110 km/hr may be experienced locally, especially coastal locations.

Additionally, any coastal areas experiencing onshore winds around times of high tide will be prone to overtopping by the sea.

Issued 0200/07-06-2012

Updates will follow as necessary.

Gale Warning

Easterly gales or strong gales developing this morning on all coasts and on the Irish Sea; northerly gales or strong gales developing on western and southern coasts this afternoon, with winds possibly reaching storm force later between Roche's Point and Slyne Head.
    Issued at 05:00 on 7-Jun-2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

I have taking my dog out for a long walk just in case it buckets down later but in south Dublin there is no sign of blue in the sky and it is raining lightly.
    I got flooded last time so I am keeping an eye on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Has the rain stopped already in Cork??! Am in bed and can't hear anything?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

leahyl wrote: »
    Has the rain stopped already in Cork??! Am in bed and can't hear anything?!

I just looked out my window and it's still raining a little but I live in south Dublin and cant see from here what it's like outside your window.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

in north kerry here and very very heavy rain...already forming major pools on road outside....such a day for bloody moving house:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

14 mm of rain overnight at Cork Airport, 11 mm at Sherkin island, 9 mm at Roches point, 2 mm at Shannon Airport.

I think the NAE is gone a bit bonkers with this one's storm totals, and anyway it has shifted its peak totals slightly further west and in line with the hirlam overnight. Certainly mountain slopes may reach the 100 mm mark, but I'd be surprised if any of the synoptic stations see more than 60-70 mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Only few drops this morning over here ... Dry ATM with light winds

Things not looking as severe I think. The east and south east not getting anything major .Bit of a let down so far. Head west for largest totals.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Rain getting heavier in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

level 3?? really? it's still raining, but i was expecting to wake up to a torrential downpour

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Level 3????? :eek: Eh????? :eek:

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    level 3?? really? it's still raining, but i was expecting to wake up to a torrential downpour

Just drove into work there and it's pretty nasty now alright - a lot of surface water already so if it continues all day.....plus river was extremely high but don't think it's something to be concerned about

Look at Met.ie 3 hour forecast :-O

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Level 3????? :eek: Eh????? :eek:

Another mod stuck that up. I suppose it's for the high risk of flooding and high rainfall totals .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The last time the rain was this constant there were floods in Dublin.

Confab wrote: »
    The last time the rain was this constant there were floods in Dublin.

Yes I think the fact that it's "relentless" as Siobhan said (:D) means it could cause a lot of problems this evening for rush hour traffic in the main cities and a lot of flooding too:(

Ah here, the NAE needs a drink or two to calm it's nerves. Shows over 6 inches (152mm) as top total over the two days. As Su says It certainly looks bonkers .

12060900_0700.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

leahyl wrote: »
    ...plus river was extremely high but don't think it's something to be concerned about...

I was out macroom direction last night and the reservoir looked fairly full. Depends if they got an opportunity to bring the levels down over night outside of high tide times as to whether it'll cause problems.

It also must be remembered that 40% of the flow of the river is outside of flood control by the ESB. Hightide time tonight in the city could be very dodgy if this torrential rain continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Rain is getting heavier here..few hours of this will be plenty of local floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    me too. a mere 3mm in my gauge relentless-ometer
    The west will get the worst of it.

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    It also must be remembered that 40% of the flow of the river is outside of flood control by the ESB. Hightide time tonight in the city could be very dodgy if this torrential rain continues.

True....:(:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement