Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windy (Gusts to 60MPH) + Heavy Rain & Flooding Thursday/Friday (June 7/8th)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jim_Kiy wrote: »
    Rain is getting heavier here..few hours of this will be plenty of local floods.

Where's 'here'?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

leahyl wrote: »
    Where's 'here'?;)

Apologies I know thats annoying ..its Clondalkin .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Speak Now

redsunset wrote: »
    Things not looking as severe I think. The east and south east not getting anything major .Bit of a let down so far. Head west for largest totals.

Heavy this morning in Waterford redsunset, 19mm so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Stopped raining in Cork for now...

That a good thing,or a bad thing I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sligo is dry and mild anyways..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

SexyGuy wrote: »
    Stopped raining in Cork for now...

That a good thing,or a bad thing I wonder?

Still raining in Blackrock. Eased off slightly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Its starting to take a nice shape on sat24.com also a strike off the wexford coast? by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

How reliable is the 3 hour forecast map on met.ie? Cos if it's any way reliable then all I have to say is :eek::eek:

Still raining in Blackrock. Eased off slightly though.

Yeah,,raining here now again...Togher/Lehenaghmore area.

Didn't last long. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

not much happening here in mayo. Barely a breath of wind, overcast and drizzle. Bit of a let down. I think these events get ramped up. Its been fairly dry here this summer, even water butt is half full, when normally its on overflow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Looking at the met.ie rainfall radar, there's a nice dry patch in the middle of the country, although I see some strong red echos approaching from the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Darwin wrote: »
    Looking at the met.ie rainfall radar, there's a nice dry patch in the middle of the country, although I see some strong red echos approaching from the south east.

Nenagh area in middle of that dry patch just now - but not for long methinks

snaps wrote: »
    not much happening here in mayo. Barely a breath of wind, overcast and drizzle. Bit of a let down. I think these events get ramped up. Its been fairly dry here this summer, even water butt is half full, when normally its on overflow.

Don't count your chickens and all that. Is it not early yet in this 2 day event to be calling 'squib'?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Tipping it down now in D3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

No rain worth speaking of TBH.

Cork Airport 14mm [as already posted] Roche's Point 9mm

Then there's me in between them. My 'live' gauge says we got 7mm but reading from my units' memory we got 24mm

No record rain rate no interrupted sleep :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Already the wettest day of the year in Waterford and it's only 10 A.M

The clearing has reached me now. The wind is increasing a little bit, I may regret removing the anchoring from the trampoline.

At 984 hPa my station must be reaching the lowest point,
    Meteorological situation at 0300: A depression of 988 hPa, about 300 miles west of Land's End, continues to deepen slowly while moving steadily northeastwards

I guess our rain period is over and the wind period is imminent.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Tipping it down...

Was just about to use the same term for here. :)

10.8mm here so far this morning. Current rain rate of 4.2mm/hr. Max rain rate so far of 9.4mm/hr.

Total rain here now for June is 75.0mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Ashford, Co. Wicklow
    Rain so far 30.5mm (10.7mm between 09.00 & 10.00)
    Wind picking up since 04.00 - currently 10.8kmh, gusting 19.5kmh
    Pressure 986hPa still falling

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    I was out macroom direction last night and the reservoir looked fairly full. Depends if they got an opportunity to bring the levels down over night outside of high tide times as to whether it'll cause problems.

It also must be remembered that 40% of the flow of the river is outside of flood control by the ESB. Hightide time tonight in the city could be very dodgy if this torrential rain continues.

Having a quick look online,,this is what I can make out of the Tide Times for today...

07 02 .... 0.3m
    08:11 .... 4.2m
    14:42 .... 0.3m
    20:37 .... 4.2m

So,for anyone that would know....The high tide at 20.37 tonight,,how long will that tide stay high for??

I have to collect My Mrs from the train station at 23.45 tonight,,and don't want to get caught out if the City floods.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Miserable enough in Dun Laoghaire, though nothing spectacular, if it were February....

Wind from the East 25-30kts and increasing, rain rate 3mm per hour, pressure around 990 falling slowly. I can understand the warnings of sea overtopping later, theres a high tide around 1430 so the usual places like Seapoint and Killiney might see the rail line flooded, maybe a bit of road flooding around Sandymount.

People in the office talking about last October's event, but I cant see it being remotely comparable, the hourly rain rate would need to spike in a big way to get close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A nice comparison between the 00z Hi Res Predicted rainfall rate for 10 am and the actual radar data for 10am. Id give that a 9/10 :)

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/207463/207969.png

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/207463/207970.png

gbee wrote: »
    At 984 hPa my station must be reaching the lowest point,

I guess our rain period is over and the wind period is imminent.

Rain finished already?? That's a bummer.

Thought there was a lot more forecast.

Has stopped again here now,and it's cloudy,but clear,and getting a bit brighter.

:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Already the wettest day of the year in Waterford and it's only 10 A.M

Correct Jerry, 23.2mm recorded so far. Radar shows maybe a bit of a clearance in the Waterford area in the next hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Rain finished already?? That's a bummer.

Thought there was a lot more forecast.

Has stopped again here now,and it's cloudy,but clear,and getting a bit brighter.

:(

As the low moves NE , the rain is gonna go on "round 2 " as it gets pulled back in. Not over yet by all means.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Rainfall rate currently 16.7mm/h - relentless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Iancar29 wrote: »
    A nice comparison between the 00z Hi Res Predicted rainfall rate for 10 am and the actual radar data for 10am. Id give that a 9/10 :)

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/207463/207969.png

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/207463/207970.png

God that is similar !

Iancar29 wrote: »
    As the low moves NE , the rain is gonna go on "round 2 " as it gets pulled back in. Not over yet by all means.

Thanks Iancar..

The advantage of knowing what your talking about. ;)

• Advertisement

Rain finished already?? That's a bummer. Thought there was a lot more forecast. .

The 'intense' rain period should be passed for us, sure we'll get heavy rain and high winds and storm force from Roche's Point through the rest of the day, we're more or less in the calm period, it'll start up soon and get stronger lasting all evening and into Friday morning ~ was worried about this phase following on from what should have been an impressive rain event ~ for us it just wasn't.

The windy period [coming] in now likely to be wetter than the 'wet' period.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement