Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windy (Gusts to 60MPH) + Heavy Rain & Flooding Thursday/Friday (June 7/8th)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Had eased off for a bit this morning but it's absolutely lashing here at the moment in south laois:eek:...def won't have to worry about my well running dry this summer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭pauldry

1mm of rain in Sligo

take shelter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

After that brief clearing, it's pouring again in East Galway. Plenty of spot flooding already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

gbee wrote: »
    The 'intense' rain period should be passed for us, sure we'll get heavy rain and high winds and storm force from Roche's Point through the rest of the day, we're more or less in the calm period, it'll start up soon and get stronger lasting all evening and into Friday morning ~ was worried about this phase following on from what should have been an impressive rain event ~ for us it just wasn't.

The windy period [coming] in now likely to be wetter than the 'wet' period.

Fantastic...Looking forward to it.

Thanks gbee.

Just started lashing down here now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

The ME 3 hour forecasts doesn't seem the most realistic. The rain in Cork has been mostly light the last few hours and the radar shows nothing heavy or persistent on the way for a while, so the prediction of 8-12mm between 10am and 1pm seems a little exaggerated at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

11.0mm in lovely Kildare

High rain rate 12.8 not too long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Persistant rain in Castlebar in a light to moderate NE'LY wind.(Cloud base is quite high,can see jets going over the house on base turn for runway 09 at Knock @ 3,100ft.)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Persistant rain in Castlebar in a light to moderate NE'LY wind.

Finally, waiting in Newport for that band to arrive, seems painstakingly slow. Been dry here since 9.30, drizzle starting now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

Persistant rain in North Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Feck all rain here, bit of drizzle thats about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 mimsy

Persistant rain in Castlebar in a light to moderate NE'LY wind.

Finally, waiting in Newport for that band to arrive, seems painstakingly slow. Been dry here since 9.30, drizzle starting now.
    Sitting in Achill here and it's barely registering. Light drizzle and very light rain. Just another soft day here ;) thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

mimsy wrote: »
    Sitting in Achill here and it's barely registering. Light drizzle and very light rain. Just another soft day here ;) thankfully.

Well drizzle turned to moderate rain for 5 mins, but then stopped. Can't see 60mm happening up here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

45.4mm so far, eased off now to drizzle now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

This is not a major event, perhaps it had the potential to be, but the actuality of it is nowhere near 'level 3' as this thread has been tagged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

dopolahpec wrote: »
    This is not a major event, perhaps it had the potential to be, but the actuality of it is nowhere near 'level 3' as this thread has been tagged.

I'd agree. The level three is for the wind event that follows on from the rain. It will be gale force to strong gale force:

I disagree, the level 3 must have been pegged for potential flooding, that was the risk factor with this system.

Gale force winds in Ireland hardly constitute, a 'seek shelter' level 3 - high risk event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

dopolahpec wrote: »
    rain intensity really needs to increase if its going to be anything other than a normal June day. Wouldn't call it rain, more of a hard drizzle. Its just a normal day here in the west, infact below normal rainfall for a wet day in mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Mild drizzle and very slight breeze in Cork at the moment where I am

Were forecasters too quick to call this a major event, possibly based upon the front which stalled over the country on Saturday night, giving huge totals to places like Tipperary and Limerick? This all seems too fast moving to have the potential to do that. Very southwest Cork and Kerry seem the only risk areas. The bulk of this system is now moving northwest, the part of the country that has had the least rain in recent weeks, where there should be little threat of flooding.

I was honestly surprised to see this Level 3 warning today, along with the forecast weather being the number one headline on most news sites.

Back to lurking in the shadows for me...I see this has been downgraded now to Level 2...

Keep up the good work here.

I enjoy this board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Speak Now

26mm so far in Waterford up to noon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

just had a heavy downpour but the clearing not too far away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It has sorta rotated 'into place' now , ie the band will stretch from Donegal to Kerry, by and large, for the next 24 hours and will collapse northwards thereafter. The East Coast and South Coast east of Cork will be fringe events.

Finally Malin and the Mullet can catch up on their groundwater deficits as it has hardly rained anywhere north of Castlebar in weeks.

By 0z Shannon and Valentia will have exceeded their June averages and Mace will be close. ( there is no long term average for Mace so lets assume 70mm there.)

Belmullet and Malin will still be below their June average totals even after another 24 hours I reckon.

Certainly worth a level 2, soggy mess that it will be for the next 24 hours. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Serious rain in South UK atm.

Heavy rain continues in S.Kildare...looks like a clearance on radar soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

John.Icy wrote: »
    Serious rain in South UK atm.
    jaysus! that will lead to serious flooding on already saturated ground.
    I don't think it will head our way though........ or will it?
    These bands of rain are rotating around the low.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

meh, i've seen this rain before, was expecting big monster rain to be honest. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

would i be correct in saying at this stage it is the longevity of the rain rather than the intensity that will lead to flooding in the West ?

6mm so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Not too bad near Limerick city. Just outbreaks of light to moderate rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I get a feeling disruption will be kept to a minimum if we avoid thunderstorms

This is what I said last night.
    JS, your senior foecaster:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

It has been on and off drizzle in south Kerry since about 2am.
    If it continues like this it will not be of concern as its just a very typical day so far...
    I was expecting to see major rainfall given the charts....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement