Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof by Induction: Paper 1 Q3

• 05-06-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Am I wrong, or could Proof by induction come up under Q3 and combine be with DMT? If so could someone explain it to me or post a link please.

Thanks, any help is much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Induction is so hard to explain. I typed out three responses and none of them made any sense so I'll show you the procedure I do:

1. Show that the statement is true when you substitute the lowest possible n I.e. 0, 1
    2. Assume that the statement is true when n is equal to k (a variable, any possible number)
    3. Prove that the statement is true when n is equal to k + 1. This usually involves substituting in your assumption and sometimes when n = 1.

Show true n=1, assume true n=k, prove true n=k+1

Check out the dominos explanation on Wikipedia for a more visual approach http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_Induction

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

For LC do natural numbers start at 0 or 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Yes. You can be asked to prove de moivre's theorem by induction. It last came up in 2008, you could have a look at the marking scheme for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

Can you be asked to prove DMT by inudction in Q5 too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Can you be asked to prove DMT by inudction in Q5 too?

You could be asked anything in Q5, integration came up in Q3 before actually.

So yes, it could come up in Q5. But unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

It'd be great if it came up in 3 and 5 <3

Advertisement