Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NPPR - Outstanding Charges

Options
  • 05-06-2012 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I own an investment property for which I am up to date with the NPPR charges. I rented out my own house in 2008 as I lost my job... I now realise that I am liable for NPPR back dated to 2009 including penalties. I realise that this is my fault and I will have to pay the arrears......I am wondering does anyone know if you can pay penalties in installments ? I dont have €2,300 and the penalties are racking up every month. its a difficult situation which I am sure is being faced by plenty of people.

there is nothing on the NPPR website re installments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Would you not call them and explain. See what they say. Maybe they can do a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

They won't reduce the amount due and interest will accrue until the charge is paid in full but they will accept the payment over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Limerk67

Did you have any joy with contacting the Council about the NPPR? Am in a situation myself but can't plead ignorance unfortunately. Living abroad a lot for last couple years so wasn't really on my mind. Anyway, just wondering if anyone managed to made a deal to pay in stages with any of the councils? Without having to keep incurring penalties???

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JohnnyNoxville

Hi sorry about the late reply. I spoke to the finance department in Fingal Co Co ...the only option is to pay this years NPPR (€200) by 30th June and then pay off the arrears in lump sum's as the arrears are costing me €60 a month now . They won't make an allowance for genuine ingnorance...you owe what you owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Hi sorry about the late reply. I spoke to the finance department in Fingal Co Co ...the only option is to pay this years NPPR (€200) by 30th June and then pay off the arrears in lump sum's as the arrears are costing me €60 a month now . They won't make an allowance for genuine ingnorance...you owe what you owe.

60 a month? Wow that's a lot. Considering penalties for the household charge are a lot smaller:
    Households paying the charge after the March 31 deadline face charges of 1 per cent interest each month, as well as flat fees of €10 for paying it within three months of the deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

on a side issue, whats the story with 3 siblings who own their deceased parents home but none live in it. Do they each have to pay 200 or is it split amongst them?

cookie1977 wrote: »
    60 a month? Wow that's a lot. Considering penalties for the household charge are a lot smaller:

Yes it's €20 per month for every year of unpaid NPPR...so 2009, 2010 & 2011 accrues at €60 per month...very very penal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

TheDriver wrote: »
    on a side issue, whats the story with 3 siblings who own their deceased parents home but none live in it. Do they each have to pay 200 or is it split amongst them?

From the website: "Liability falls on all co-owners but payment by any one co-owner discharges the liability of all co-owners."

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Yes it's €20 per month for every year of unpaid NPPR...so 2009, 2010 & 2011 accrues at €60 per month...very very penal

I was talking to a guy at an airport a while back and he said that he would rather "pay the €20 fine" if he got caught than register his "rentals". When I told him that it was €20 per month per outstanding year, and it was a legal charge on the property he went as white as a ghost.

SSE

I was talking to a guy at an airport a while back and he said that he would rather "pay the €20 fine" if he got caught than register his "rentals". When I told him that it was €20 per month per outstanding year, and it was a legal charge on the property he went as white as a ghost.

SSE

its a horrible situation to be in but there is no getting around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

You can pay for each individual year, you DO NOT have to pay the lump sum. Ring them tomorrow and tell them you wish to pay for 2009, and they will except payment, then next month or whenever funds allow, pay for 2010, and so on.

I would ring sooner rather than later though, the amount is only going to go up and not down.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Kopy

I bought a second property in Wexford and never paid the NPPR until they wrote to me last november looking for payment and stated they would bring me to court if it was not paid !
    Wanted the full amount owed and would not accept staged payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Kopy wrote: »
    I bought a second property in Wexford and never paid the NPPR until they wrote to me last november looking for payment and stated they would bring me to court if it was not paid !
    Wanted the full amount owed and would not accept staged payment.

Really, highly doubt that, unless it was the County Council writing to you.

NPPR dont know who owns what properties, unless you tell them, because it's self declaration.

Also, I bet my miserable salary that you CAN pay for each year. Anyone who tells you otherwise is telling porky pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Indeed ignorance is not a defence. I too have lived abroad for years and payed little attention to the introduction of the NPPR charge back home. Came home to find I owed 1300 euro. Contacted them to see if I could work out some arrangement. They would not budge. I eventually had to borrow money from a brother to pay it off to stop the arrears building up. I was sick as a parrot but in retrospect it was entirely my fault. Not a mistake I will repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Kopy

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Really, highly doubt that, unless it was the County Council writing to you.

NPPR dont know who owns what properties, unless you tell them, because it's self declaration.

Also, I bet my miserable salary that you CAN pay for each year. Anyone who tells you otherwise is telling porky pies.

It was from the NPPR section within the County Council !
    Regarding payment ? I rang them and was told I had to pay the amount in full as it was self declaration and the onus was on me to pay when it was first introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i got one of these letters today, the thing is the nppr is paid, by my partner! in their infinite wisdom of creating a system which doesnt allow 2 names on the registration i now have to prove to them that i dont owe money, one of the reasons i wont register for the household charge, the people that created this are idiots. (i am writing to my TD's first actually)
    From the website: "Liability falls on all co-owners but payment by any one co-owner discharges the liability of all co-owners."

wouldnt it have been better to register joint ownership , got same issue with the household charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

ive always paid my NPPR charges on time each year until this year.

this year, due to a terminal illness in my family, the NPPR charge along with other things got put on the back burner so to speak. ie: I completely forgot about it. as a result, being 40 days late meant I had to pay an extra €80.

I contacted the relevant county council and explained my situation, but they really couldnt care less. i know that the onus is on me to pay, and under normal circumstances I would have and I have done in the past, but I thought that there may have been some sympathy.

really just wanted to let off a little bit of steam here. its a shame that the people in the council either claim to not have, or simply dont have any leeway for situations like this.

i was recounting this story to a few friends of mine the other day and was told by two of them that since the charge came in, they underdeclare rental income too offset this tax. i completely do not agree with this at all, however I can only assume many people are doing this since this tax was introduced.

i personally have to increase rent this year, having not done so for 5 years as I simply cannot afford the property

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Unfortunately it would mean that everyone would be pleading lateness due to some excuse, were there to be exceptions made. Same goes to pleading to a Garage not to take your car off because you didn't tax it in time. They don't have the time to validate each time an excuse is given regardless of its authenticity.

Advertisement