Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dodgy modem ?

Options
  • 05-06-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My modem seems to reboot at least once a day, could it be dodgy or something wrong with my dsl line causing it to reboot ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

syboit wrote: »
    Hi,

My modem seems to reboot at least once a day, could it be dodgy or something wrong with my dsl line causing it to reboot ?

Hi syboit,

I have tested this for you this morning (have your account info from a previous case) and can confirm a few things. Firstly, the actual phoneline is testing perfect, no faults indicated on that side of things. I have tested the broadband signal and that seems to be where the issue is. One of our support agents checked the connection history over the last few weeks for me and I can see that you have had an intermittent connection with the loss of signal occurring every few days. I can however see that it has been solidly connected for at least 6 hours now.

What I recommend from here is to allow me to drop the speed from the current profile of around 7mb down to 6mb. This would normally improve the line stats (attenuation and noise margin) and should improve the stability. I would imagine with the current line stats your speed is around 4-5mb so this change should not affect the speed too much on your end. The reason I need to ask you first is that the changes I make will knock of you connection for about 5 minutes so I need to make sure you're not in the middle of something. Drop a note here if you'd like me to try that for you.

Thanks

James

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Hi syboit,

I have tested this for you this morning (have your account info from a previous case) and can confirm a few things. Firstly, the actual phoneline is testing perfect, no faults indicated on that side of things. I have tested the broadband signal and that seems to be where the issue is. One of our support agents checked the connection history over the last few weeks for me and I can see that you have had an intermittent connection with the loss of signal occurring every few days. I can however see that it has been solidly connected for at least 6 hours now.

What I recommend from here is to allow me to drop the speed from the current profile of around 7mb down to 6mb. This would normally improve the line stats (attenuation and noise margin) and should improve the stability. I would imagine with the current line stats your speed is around 4-5mb so this change should not affect the speed too much on your end. The reason I need to ask you first is that the changes I make will knock of you connection for about 5 minutes so I need to make sure you're not in the middle of something. Drop a note here if you'd like me to try that for you.

Thanks

James

thanks for the reply, let me get back to you about when to drop the signal. I've had 2 more drops outs in the past 2 hours, but each time I login the the zyxel to check, I've noticed it has rebooted. Why does the modem reboot though ?

thanks

Advertisement