Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting learner permit

• 05-06-2012 5:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im finding the RSA website confusing as to what documentation is needed to get a licence permit.

"What your application or renewal should include

A completed application form ( D201), which can be obtained from your local Motor tax office, Library or Garda station.
    Two passport-type photographs (signed on back)
    Your current or most recent driving licence (if you hold a driving licence or held one within the previous 10 years) and/or:
    your current/most recent learner permit (if you hold a current learner permit or held one within the previous five years – unless your most recent learner permit has been superseded by the issue of a driving licence)
    The appropriate fee

The following may also be required:

An original birth certificate/passport
    An original certificate of registration
    An medical report D501 form (if your are downloading the Medical Report form you must print it back to back)
    An eyesight D502 form
    Evidence that you underwent a driving test in the last two years if applying for a third or subsequent learner permit
    Evidence of a forthcoming driving test if applying for a third or subsequent learner permit and you havr not sat a driving set in the last two years
    Lost licence declaration
    Theory test certificate"

Also it says an eyesight report is required if applying for first learner permit. I hold a driver's licence (and held the old provisional licence before that). Do I still need to get an eyesight report done ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Sure give the RSA a ring and that way you can get a direct and positive answer

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

Motorist wrote: »
    Hi all,

Im finding the RSA website confusing as to what documentation is needed to get a licence permit.

"What your application or renewal should include

A completed application form ( D201), which can be obtained from your local Motor tax office, Library or Garda station.
    Two passport-type photographs (signed on back)
    Your current or most recent driving licence (if you hold a driving licence or held one within the previous 10 years) and/or:
    your current/most recent learner permit (if you hold a current learner permit or held one within the previous five years – unless your most recent learner permit has been superseded by the issue of a driving licence)
    The appropriate fee

The following may also be required:

An original birth certificate/passport
    An original certificate of registration
    An medical report D501 form (if your are downloading the Medical Report form you must print it back to back)
    An eyesight D502 form
    Evidence that you underwent a driving test in the last two years if applying for a third or subsequent learner permit
    Evidence of a forthcoming driving test if applying for a third or subsequent learner permit and you havr not sat a driving set in the last two years
    Lost licence declaration
    Theory test certificate"

Also it says an eyesight report is required if applying for first learner permit. I hold a driver's licence (and held the old provisional licence before that). Do I still need to get an eyesight report done ?

Ok, so you definitely need two passport photo's (signed on the back), the form that you get of the guards, the driving licence you have at the moment, and a postal order for the fee.

Apart from the above, you should bring some form of id (passport or birth cert).

You need a medical cert if you are on medication, have an additional need, heart problem, or are over a certain age etc. All of that will be outlined on the form you get from the guards, so give that a read and it will tell you if you need one or not, I didnt.

If it's your first bike permit, you do still need to do an eyesight test, even if you hold a licence in another category. Stupid I know, but thats the way it is. (checked that up myself 2 months ago when applying for my own).

Bring your theory test cert just in case.

Ignore the rest, it doesnt apply if you're going for your first bike permit

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Pipz wrote: »
    still need to do an eyesight test, even if you hold a licence in another category. Stupid I know, but thats the way it is. (checked that up myself 2 months ago when applying for my own).

You don't in ballymun, i rang and said i had a car permit and i wanted to add cat A and would I need another eye test. she said no on the phone just the cert. I was still a bit skeptical when i went down but all was good, got the permit no bother without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

juice1304 wrote: »
    You don't in ballymun, i rang and said i had a car permit and i wanted to add cat A and would I need another eye test. she said no on the phone just the cert. I was still a bit skeptical when i went down but all was good, got the permit no bother without it.

I can't imagine it would differ from place to place, but that's a little irritating considering it cost me 30 quid to get it done. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

The logical thing would be that if I am able to renew my car drivers licence next year without doing another eye-sight test, surely I should be able to get a motorcycle learner licence also without having to do an eye-sight test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Ring the RSA, give them your licence number and ask them. They will tell you exactly what you need.

I rang the motor tax office and was told the wrong thing. I rang the RSA and was told the right information.

How long have you had your full car licence? If you only obtained this in the past 4/5 years you may still have a provisional A/A1 that has not expired by more than 5 years. If that is the case all you need to do is apply for a second provisional (learner permit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

Pipz wrote:

If it's your first bike permit, you do still need to do an eyesight test, even if you hold a licence in another category. Stupid I know, but thats the way it is. (checked that up myself 2 months ago when applying for my own).

Bring your theory test cert just in case.

last year in ennis i did not need the eyesight, my car licence had been issued 6 years before that and i had never held a motorbike licence/permit before..read into that what you will, but i think its whoever is on the counter in some places...
    you will need the theory cert, without it you may not be able to get the permit, if you have the old provisional bring it along with you,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I passed the theory test today and done an eye test in specsavers. Turns out i didnt need an eye test for the learner permit. I hold a full license for last 3 years. Mullingar centre.

Advertisement