Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signing on for at least the summer....

• 05-06-2012 5:43pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Went to the Welfare office today to sign back on given its Summer. I was given a form to be signed by my employer and asked to get a P45 as well. So two questions...

1. Who signs the form as my employer? They said get it done by the VEC so do I post it off to the local Vec office with a cover letter and ask them to send it back? Or do I need to get my principal to do it?

2. What way does the P45 affect me next September if I do get back into the school? I dont know if the school is taking me back cause they dont know what allocations they have with regards my position yet. I dont want to look as if I am definitly not going back with the VEC. I worry getting a P45 could screw me around next term. Can I ask for a letter saying they dont know whats happening yet but I am not getting paid till at least Sept? What way do I handle that?

Sorry for what might seem to be n00b questions. Never had this scenario before and dont want to mess up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If I remember rightly Teamshadowclan you've been subbing in a school for the last few months so you're not getting paid for the summer?

VEC is your employer so the form will need to go to the VEC.

VEC won't think anything of you needing a P45. You're not getting paid by them for the summer, you need to claim the dole. That has no reflection on next year. They couldn't expect you to live on nothing all summer because you are hopeful of hours in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Just be aware that when you work as a sub, holiday pay is included so you mightn't be entitled to full dole for quite a while.

2/3 years ago, I signed on on June 1st and got 4 days of dole towards the end of August as I had been getting 56% holiday pay while subbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Just be aware that when you work as a sub, holiday pay is included so you mightn't be entitled to full dole for quite a while.

2/3 years ago, I signed on on June 1st and got 4 days of dole towards the end of August as I had been getting 56% holiday pay while subbing.

That's an interesting one. My situation is slightly different. I was let go from a non-teaching job in January. Went on the dole and then got a bit of subbing work and then went onto casual signing. So essentially I get the dole for any day I'm not working which will be the entire summer I suppose. Although I think my contributions might be different as I worked outside of teaching for most of last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It might depend on your area, but in my area you send the form to the VEC and they send it back to the Social Welfare.

Don't worry about the P45, etc, everyone involved from the VEC and the Welfare is well used to the system. Just say you hope to get hours in September but you don't know yet, and remember to tell the SW as soon as you know one way or the other.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If I remember rightly Teamshadowclan you've been subbing in a school for the last few months so you're not getting paid for the summer?

Not subbing. Was teaching extra English classes to International students. Down as part timw teacher iirc. Was on 12 hours a week. Would that still get holiday pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Not subbing. Was teaching extra English classes to International students. Down as part timw teacher iirc. Was on 12 hours a week. Would that still get holiday pay?

were you getting paid at the normal rate? If so, there wouldn't be any holiday pa y in it

Advertisement