Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkmore 409 Bus help!

Options
  • 05-06-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

I start work at 7.00am. The start time for the 409 bus leaving Eyre Square on the timetable is 6:30am and 6:44am at the GMIT. I was at GMIT from 6:20 to 6:49 this morning & no bus. Then when I got a taxi into Parkmore, there was the 409 inside the park.

What time does the first 409 leave GMIT in the mornings:confused:?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bad news for ya.

There's a little twitch that BE have declined to mention on their timetable, but that was showing on their journey planner a while ago (but seems to not be there now :-(

The 6:30am travels AFAIK via Wellpark, Monivea Rd, Boston Scientific.

Meaning that the first bus to go past GMIT-Dublin Rd would be there around 7:05/7:10am (the timetable says 7:14, but I don't believe it will take that long).

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

Thank you for clearing that up. I could never understand how that 409 always seemed to appear at Parkmore around the 6.45am mark whilst never passing GMIT.

Do Bus Eireann have more detailed timetables somewhere? Their newly designed timetable is really lacking detail for individual stops (I'm thinking the 402 Renmore)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

JustMary wrote: »

The 6:30am travels AFAIK via Wellpark, Monivea Rd, Boston Scientific.

So that would make it the 403 route?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Intermediate stop times are approximate and are designed with middle of the day traffic in mind. The only certain times are the start and terminus departures. So you need to guess how long the bus would take to travel from Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »
    Intermediate stop times are approximate and are designed with middle of the day traffic in mind. The only certain times are the start and terminus departures. So you need to guess how long the bus would take to travel from Eyre Square.

The Galway bus timetables only ever had start and terminus timetables, so the "approximate" expected times are a bit of an improvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 uscias

"So you need to guess how long the bus would take"

Only in Ireland do you have to guess hat time the bus comes. Absolutely rediculous! Sometimes buses just dont come... i missed an exam once after setting off 1 hour in advance... what should have been a 10 minute bus ride turned into no bus and running a couple of mile. The transport system in Ireland is thee sole reason why I now drive!

So that would make it the 403 route?

Almost: from what I understand, it actually goes right into the estate and turns around outside HP, where there is a bus-stop.

Whereas the 403 turns up its nose at going inside, and just circles the roundabout without stopping anywhere.

I discovered that you can see details in the journey planner: http://194.106.151.94/jplan/bin/query.exe/en?seqnr=2&ident=86.04076187.1338985178&guiVCtrl_connection_detailsOut_setStatus_C1-1_allHalts=yes&OK#cis_C1-1
    (not sure if that link will work or not).

The trick is to look up buses that go to Ballybrit Industrial, rather than Parkmore.

(Of course the planner doesn't get it right: it doesn't show the official "factory run" bus at 8am, and it doesn't show the 6:30am going from HP/Boston on to Parkmore.)

But apart from that, it does now show the intermediate stops and stop times, down to individual stop level. However as someone said, take them with a large pinch of average-traffic-conditions salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I'm starting work out in Parkmore on Wednesday and will be getting the bus out there in the mornings from Eyre Square.

I got the timetable here but was wondering what the travel time is like with traffic.

The bus leaves Eyre Square every 15 minutes, so would I need to get the bus at 8.00, or would 8.30 be cutting it too close to get into work for 9?

Thanks for any help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Go on a trial run tomorrow and let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

get the 8.15 out, it will give you plenty of time. first day, its good to be in early. always good to give yourself time as this is galway and traffic can get bad.

as the first reply said, try it tomorrow and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

snubbleste wrote: »
    Go on a trial run tomorrow and let us know

Yeah, the problem with that is that if (when) I try it tomorrow its a one-time experiment with no chance to repeat.

Its well and good to give that answer with regards to googling something, however, basing how I get to my first day of work on a single experiment isn't the best way to go about doing so since traffic conditions can be different on different days of the week (its the middle of the week so traffic patterns shouldn't be too different monday-friday, but the principle stands).

I'm looking for amalgamated experiences, how other people successfully plan their commutes.

Thanks swiftman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

swiftman wrote: »
    get the 8.15 out, it will give you plenty of time. first day, its good to be in early. always good to give yourself time as this is galway and traffic can get bad.

as the first reply said, try it tomorrow and see
    Definitely the 815 for 9, i get it to gmit through the year and found at times the 830 never showed!! Takes anywhere from 15-30+ depending on traffic, but that time of the morning shouldnt be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Yea, get the 8:15 to allow for traffic. If it's a bit later in the day the bus only takes 20-25mins, but at that time it will be 35-40.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with recent Parkmore bus thread.
    According to JustMay's link above the 8.15 will arrive 8.44

8:15 should be fine ...

Except -how far from the bus stop is your job? Some of the places down the end of Parkmore West are solid 10+ minute walk from the bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stop Lad!

hi folks,
    I get the 409 each morning in Doughiska up to work in Parkmore. Usually it comes around 25 past/half 7. For the last week or so it has not shown up in this time and i've had to wait until quarter to 8 until the next one shows up. Is it the case that it is coming out that bit quicker recently and im simply missing it or has it been showing up at all??

Advertisement