Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orthodontist to take over braces treatment

Options
  • 05-06-2012 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm on holidays in Belarus where I'm from and am seriously considering braces. In Belarus the latest self-adjusting ceramic braces for both jaws cost under e900. The self-adjusting bit means they are more comfortable and reduce the frequency of adjustment appointments to every 10-12 weeks, and therefore are better for patients living abroad, unless of course you can't get appointments at all.
    I know it is not recommended to continue the treatment with another orthodontist, and most of them wouldn't even consider it, but I can't afford braces in Ireland, and I can't travel to Belarus every 10 weeks. So I'm wondering if anyone in similar situation has found an orthodontist in Ireland to do the adjustments? (I can provide the treatment details, x-ray, the screw for my braces and even spare parts if I was to do that here.)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Dianthus

OP, you can have braces at any stage of your life; there is no upper age limit. What's the rush; why complicate things by having two orthodontists in two different countries now?
    All orthodontists have their own way of approaching a clinical situation, and favour different appliances/techniques, based on their training& experience.

Providing treatment details....there's no guarantee your orthodontists will agree with each other, or that they will work together. This stands even if you were to have two orthodontists of the same nationality, in the same country/county. Also, more importantly, all treatment carries risks, who takes responsibility if something goes wrong? (root resorption, temporomandibular disorder, tooth devitalisation, tooth/periodontal damage, failure of achieving an adequate result, ect ect)- it's a logistical& legal minefield.

Providing an xray....cost of this is minor& often included in consultation fee.

Providing screw/spare parts.....these are often the least costly things you pay for. Most of the cost relates to running costs/overheads (rent, electricity, council rates, auxillary staff wages, ect), and the corresponding time you spend in the dental chair(which remains unaltered no matter what country you're in)

Maybe someone will PM you with a solution, just be careful it's the right one, and that you weigh up all the pros and cons beforehand. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

webirina wrote: »
    I'm on holidays in Belarus where I'm from and am seriously considering braces. In Belarus the latest self-adjusting ceramic braces for both jaws cost under e900. The self-adjusting bit means they are more comfortable and reduce the frequency of adjustment appointments to every 10-12 weeks, and therefore are better for patients living abroad, unless of course you can't get appointments at all.
    I know it is not recommended to continue the treatment with another orthodontist, and most of them wouldn't even consider it, but I can't afford braces in Ireland, and I can't travel to Belarus every 10 weeks. So I'm wondering if anyone in similar situation has found an orthodontist in Ireland to do the adjustments? (I can provide the treatment details, x-ray, the screw for my braces and even spare parts if I was to do that here.)
    Thanks!

This will never work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Its not going to to happen OP, no orthodontist will do this and rightly so. THe cost of the brackets, wires and bits and bobs that have been so successfully sold to you is relatively small. The costs is in orthodontists time and skill. People get caught up in treatment items, how much is a crown how much is a exam etc. You don't actually buy items of treatment, you buy a service from a skilled professional or rent their time and equipment. Dentists are not parts fitters, and while the quality materials and medical devices are important, its the time you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

The above posters are right, OP!

A Polish girl I know got her braces in Poland for about €1000, planning to go over and back every few months to get adjustments. But she then got pregnant and was then unable to go over and back to Poland so switched to an orthodontist here for her final year of treatment.

It cost her about €3000 (which in the end made her total cost the same...if not more than orthos over here) and she still has the braces a year after the date she was proposed to get them off!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 webirina

Thanks for responses everyone! Might have to put the whole thing off until it doesn't create so many complications!

• Advertisement
Advertisement