Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Hotel and Holiday at Home places prices increasing?Value myth

• 05-06-2012 6:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Anyone noticed this?

Was looking up dates in Dublin for gigs etc and even hotels that last summer i stayed in om nights of gigs or big events the prcies are deffo up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There's an increase in the number of people holidaying in Ireland rather than going abroad so it's only natural that prices would increase too. But yeah, many hotels have retained their rip-off status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

bigpink wrote: »
    Anyone noticed this?

Was looking up dates in Dublin for gigs etc and even hotels that last summer i stayed in om nights of gigs or big events the prcies are deffo up

Well they're going to charge more if there's a big event on anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

B&B maybe?
    Is Gardiner St not full of them?

All of them are open to haggling.
    If you have a budget just state it and haggle. They expect you to do it.

Sure if it's 5pm or so and getting on they are delighted to sell the room rather then leave it empty

I did this for a place across from Heuston Station
    You can't do this with a computer screen

And I know Galway better and College Rd or even out in Renmore is full of them. Never a problem for a bit of face to face haggling.
    Not going to work in raceweek though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Oh yes i know they charge more around big events but im talking late bookings even the prices are up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

This country would want to get a grip when it comes to the hospitality industry.

From the price of a Hotel rooms to eating and drinking out, its a total rip off.

Im surprised we have the tourism we currently have, although I think that is based mostly on Irish scenery and people, there are some beautiful places here, however when most tourists get the bill at the end of their stay, its usually their lasting impression of this country of ours and id say they think twice about coming back.

Am looking at weekends away here myself at the moment, and to be honest, its far cheaper to go abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

rabble rabble rabble

hotels in Dublin are cheap these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

tempura wrote: »

From the price of a Hotel rooms to eating and drinking out, its a total rip off.

I think it's a lot cheaper to eat out now than it was a few years ago. There is some good offers on in most restaurants now.
    Am looking at weekends away here myself at the moment, and to be honest, its far cheaper to go abroad.

I don't think it's cheaper in the long run when you factor in everything, flights, accommodation, travel while there and expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I have got to say that prices in Ireland for hotels and holiday homes compare very favourably with other European countries. If you are not happy with the price you are being offered look around. There are loads of options out there.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Advertisement