Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headliner repairs / Dublin

Options
  • 05-06-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi internets,

Google has not been my friend here - I am trying to find someone in the Dublin area who can re-glue the headliner in my '96 Jaguar X300.

The recent 12 minutes of summer sun have been enough to dry out the glue, I guess, and the liner is now drooping over the back seats, and a bit at the front. The actual cloth is immaculate, but I think I might end up driving with it over my eyes if it gets much worse!

Does anyone know anywhere/anyone that could help?

Cheers in advance,
    Jonathan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Derek Nolan, Nolan Autocare in Bluebell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 vonsteck

Thanks for the recomendation, Colm - I spoke to him a little earlier, as the only place I could find that seemed to offer this service, but he wanted the headliner removed in advance and I'm not sure I could manage that without damaging it! I was hoping to find someone that would remove, repair and replace it for me.

Any other places spring to mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any garage would be able to remove a headliner. There also may be an online guide for doing it.

An offchance, but Cartronics in Santry may be able to do the whole thing for you.

OK, cool - thanks for that. Probably will end up getting one party to remove it and another to mend...

If only I had the time/space/skill I'd give it a go myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

vonsteck wrote: »
    Hi internets,

Google has not been my friend here - I am trying to find someone in the Dublin area who can re-glue the headliner in my '96 Jaguar X300.

The recent 12 minutes of summer sun have been enough to dry out the glue, I guess, and the liner is now drooping over the back seats, and a bit at the front. The actual cloth is immaculate, but I think I might end up driving with it over my eyes if it gets much worse!

Does anyone know anywhere/anyone that could help?

Cheers in advance,
    Jonathan

As you probably know, this is a common fault with the x300 and the only real remedy is removal and respray the adhesive and refit. It does seem to be a bit of an art in getting the headliner out without doing serious damage to it and involves (from what I've read) removal of the passenger seat to allow enough wriggle room. It is a job I will be tackling at some stage during the summer and am also considering the possibility of using a different base material, as opposed to the existing foam which tends to dry out and go a little brittle. Something like "Etha Foam" which comes in huge sheets of varying thickness and is flexible and impossible to break or tear. I have used it before for different jobs and I think it might well do the job, covered in a very light soft foam 3mm or thereabouts. The foam in question is available, or was, from Vita Cortex.

• Advertisement

Yup, that's why I am not keen to attempt it myself. I have also read that rear window removal is often a shortcut, but either-which-way I was hoping to find someone who would just be able to take the car in and do it all in one go :)

Advertisement