Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancellation Charge - changing service providers

Options
  • 05-06-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I just recieved my last bill after moving to Vodafone for Phone and fixed Broadband services. I have noticed there is a cancellation fee on my final bill of €20.96 due to the fact that I have cancelled without give 28days. Neither Vodafone or Eircom has informed me of this cancellation fee at any point, Vodafone cancelled on my behalf. I believe the consumer should have been informed of this fee. otherwise I would have stayed with Eircom can someone please advice...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

thesphinx wrote: »
    I just recieved my last bill after moving to Vodafone for Phone and fixed Broadband services. I have noticed there is a cancellation fee on my final bill of €20.96 due to the fact that I have cancelled without give 28days. Neither Vodafone or Eircom has informed me of this cancellation fee at any point, Vodafone cancelled on my behalf. I believe the consumer should have been informed of this fee. otherwise I would have stayed with Eircom can someone please advice...

Hi thesphinx,

When switching from eircom to another provider the process is that you advise us of your intention to leave one month in advance. This is the same as the standard cancellations process. The problem here is that by contacting the other company first and not eircom, the order doesn't show on our system until it is already in process and at that point we can't cancel the order of another company. I can't accuse Vodafone of anything here as it's not up to them to advise of our policy, even if they knew the situation. Unfortunately if you intend to stay with Vodafone that charge will have to stand however if you take the account back to eircom our sales team would write it off. This would then leave you to sort out the contract with Vodafone as I imagine you would have come to some agreement with them already. Apologies that you weren't aware of the process but unfortunately I have to stand by this process.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lac007

Get on to Vodafone and ask them to pay the cancellation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

lac007 wrote: »
    Get on to Vodafone and ask them to pay the cancellation fee.

Why should VF pay because the OP did not stick to the terms and conditions of the service? People need to start taking responsibility for contracts that they enter into.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesphinx

Hi thesphinx,
    When switching from eircom to another provider the process is that you advise us of your intention to leave one month in advance. This is the same as the standard cancellations process. The problem here is that by contacting the other company first and not eircom, the order doesn't show on our system until it is already in process and at that point we can't cancel the order of another company. I can't accuse Vodafone of anything here as it's not up to them to advise of our policy, even if they knew the situation. Unfortunately if you intend to stay with Vodafone that charge will have to stand however if you take the account back to eircom our sales team would write it off. This would then leave you to sort out the contract with Vodafone as I imagine you would have come to some agreement with them already. Apologies that you weren't aware of the process but unfortunately I have to stand by this process.
    Regards

HI James

I was told that if i cancelled through the process you mentioned that there would be a good chance that I was going to lose my number I didn't want that to happen, thats why I had to go through the channel that I did. I would like to have been informed of this before taking the decision to move.
    Why should VF pay because the OP did not stick to the terms and conditions of the service? People need to start taking responsibility for contracts that they enter into.

I did not enter any contract with Eircom, Eircom imposesd these terms and conditions through the contract which I still haven't see what they are. You are indicating I am not taking responsibility for contracts they enter. I very much take care but until you know the full picture don't make a non-informed comment thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hi thesphinx,

Regards

James

Is that procedure in accordance with Comreg's protocol for changing networks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

HI James

I was told that if i cancelled through the process you mentioned that there would be a good chance that I was going to lose my number I didn't want that to happen, thats why I had to go through the channel that I did. I would like to have been informed of this before taking the decision to move.

I did not enter any contract with Eircom, Eircom imposesd these terms and conditions through the contract which I still haven't see what they are. You are indicating I am not taking responsibility for contracts they enter. I very much take care but until you know the full picture don't make a non-informed comment thanks

Unless the whole number assignment system has changed recently the person who told you that you could lose your number is mistaken. I believe that the telephone number remains assigned to the line for some time (12 months possibly) after the cessation of service.

I am unaware of any circumstances that Eircom would provide a service without a contract. It may have been a verbal contract but it was a contract none the less. An element of the contract will have been the acceptance of the terms and conditions. No one is expected to know these terms and conditions off-by-heart but they should be your first port of call should you be contemplating cancelling your service. The next place for information on cancelling information should have been Eircom themselves in advance of any switching request. One can see here on boards.ie that there has been an amount of people who have been 'caught' by this charge as they didn't give the required notice.

The 30 day notification requirement has been a part of the terms and conditions of Eircom since early 2011. I don't personally agree with it but it's there. I am in the middle of switching myself and it is not a clear, straight forward process. There are still some elements that I need clarified by Eircom in my mission to avoid unnecessary charges by them.

It was not my intention to cause offence but I am informed about the cancellation process through spending a considerable amount of time in communication with Eircom representatives in relation to it.

HI James

Hi

In this situation you're not calling to cancel the account though, you are switching the line (with the same telephone number) to another company. You would only have to give notice of your intention to leave. As mentioned, once it's stated in the T&C's we have to stand by it. You can view them on our website here (section 4.1 relates to the cancellations policy)

Regards

James

Unless the whole number assignment system has changed recently the person who told you that you could lose your number is mistaken. I believe that the telephone number remains assigned to the line for some time (12 months possibly) after the cessation of service.
    I am unaware of any circumstances that Eircom would provide a service without a contract. It may have been a verbal contract but it was a contract none the less. An element of the contract will have been the acceptance of the terms and conditions. No one is expected to know these terms and conditions off-by-heart but they should be your first port of call should you be contemplating cancelling your service. The next place for information on cancelling information should have been Eircom themselves in advance of any switching request. One can see here on boards.ie that there has been an amount of people who have been 'caught' by this charge as they didn't give the required notice.
    The 30 day notification requirement has been a part of the terms and conditions of Eircom since early 2011. I don't personally agree with it but it's there. I am in the middle of switching myself and it is not a clear, straight forward process. There are still some elements that I need clarified by Eircom in my mission to avoid unnecessary charges by them.
    It was not my intention to cause offence but I am informed about the cancellation process through spending a considerable amount of time in communication with Eircom representatives in relation to it.

Thanks Gunner I guess i don't have time to be go through reams of T&C life is short enough
    Hi
    In this situation you're not calling to cancel the account though, you are switching the line (with the same telephone number) to another company. You would only have to give notice of your intention to leave. As mentioned, once it's stated in the T&C's we have to stand by it. You can view them on our website here (section 4.1 relates to the cancellations policy)
    Regards
    James

The broadband didn't work out for as I am not going to get the speed as invisaged,what would be the process of moving back to Eircom, you mention the initial cancellation fee would be waived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Thanks Gunner I guess i don't have time to be go through reams of T&C life is short enough

The broadband didn't work out for as I am not going to get the speed as invisaged,what would be the process of moving back to Eircom, you mention the initial cancellation fee would be waived.

Hi thesphinx,

Yes if you decide to return to eircom the initial cancellation fee would be waived. However that is on the basis that you agree to a new 12 month contract from the date you transferred back to eircom (With all applicable terms and conditions)

To arrange the transfer if you call our winback department on 1800 566 366 with the Universal account number (Account number you were given by that provider)

There is a lead time of 5 working days for the line to return and a subsequent 5 working days for the broadband to transfer back in full.

* I would advise to check if the other provider may have a similar cancellation charge prior to issuing the request?

Thanks, Mark

Thanks for that Mark and James

I have called already initially I was told that the cancellation fee woudln't be waived so had to go to the complaints department where and incident had to be setup. I have to wait until I recieve my new account number until I can get this credited on my next help... Have to say it would help if everyone in Eircom could sing of the one hymn sheet as the first lady I was speaking to was having none of it, also it seems a lot of hassle to get the credit anyway the ball is in motion of going back to Eircom.

I have been informed from the other vendor that I won't be charged, but I have to wait until my line has been ported to cancel the bradband as I am only getting phone services of eircom.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Mark and James

I have called already initially I was told that the cancellation fee woudln't be waived so had to go to the complaints department where and incident had to be setup. I have to wait until I recieve my new account number until I can get this credited on my next help... Have to say it would help if everyone in Eircom could sing of the one hymn sheet as the first lady I was speaking to was having none of it, also it seems a lot of hassle to get the credit anyway the ball is in motion of going back to Eircom.

I have been informed from the other vendor that I won't be charged, but I have to wait until my line has been ported to cancel the bradband as I am only getting phone services of eircom.

Hi again,

Has the transfer completed yet? If you would like us to deal with this for you drop one of us a PM and we'll get on it for you.

James

Hi James

No this tranfer hasn't taken place yet an I am getting very frustrated. I rang Eircom Customer care on Friday and I was told I would get a phone call during the week in relation to this, I hadn't recieved a call, so I rang this evening.

After I gave my new Account number I was told by the representative that this account was closed even though it was my new account number. After putting me on hold she came back and said that no the account wasn't closed but infact confidential and couldn't open the account. I explained the situation and was told there was no complaint on my account, after i gave my old account number I was told there was a complaint on it.
    To cut a long story short I was told that their department couldn't facilitate my issue, as my account was loaked by credit control, I asked why I was told they couldn't answer me, my previosu bill was paid in time. I told them that a Eircom representative on boards.ie said there should be no issue in getting this credited, I was told that ye are not eircom staff members and they don't support anything you guys say here. Have to say I am very frustrated and now wondering why the hell I ever decided to return to Eircom in the first place. I will sent you a PM with my old account number and my new account number to see if you can shed some light on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi James

No this tranfer hasn't taken place yet an I am getting very frustrated. I rang Eircom Customer care on Friday and I was told I would get a phone call during the week in relation to this, I hadn't recieved a call, so I rang this evening.

After I gave my new Account number I was told by the representative that this account was closed even though it was my new account number. After putting me on hold she came back and said that no the account wasn't closed but infact confidential and couldn't open the account. I explained the situation and was told there was no complaint on my account, after i gave my old account number I was told there was a complaint on it.
    To cut a long story short I was told that their department couldn't facilitate my issue, as my account was loaked by credit control, I asked why I was told they couldn't answer me, my previosu bill was paid in time. I told them that a Eircom representative on boards.ie said there should be no issue in getting this credited, I was told that ye are not eircom staff members and they don't support anything you guys say here. Have to say I am very frustrated and now wondering why the hell I ever decided to return to Eircom in the first place. I will sent you a PM with my old account number and my new account number to see if you can shed some light on the subject.

Hi thesphinx,

I am looking into your this and will update you by PM shortly.

Best regards,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi James

Hi thesphinx

I Have found and PM the details of your new account and the credit has already been applied on the new account and will be on the first bill.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I switched back in eircom at the beginning of July last year and intend to switch back to the previous provider once the year of the contract is up.
    Am I right in assuming I must give 28 days notice and then I can switch to the other provider?
    How do I provide notice? Is a phone call sufficient or can I do it via PM with one of the eircom people here?

Bizarre charge and something that is unique in the networked utility business in Ireland as far as I am aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Heroditas wrote: »
    I switched back in eircom at the beginning of July last year and intend to switch back to the previous provider once the year of the contract is up.
    Am I right in assuming I must give 28 days notice and then I can switch to the other provider?
    How do I provide notice? Is a phone call sufficient or can I do it via PM with one of the eircom people here?

Bizarre charge and something that is unique in the networked utility business in Ireland as far as I am aware.

Hi Heroditas,

Thanks for your post. eircom now require a 30 day notification to cancel the broadband service and phone service. If you contact our service team on 1800 242 633 they will take a record of the call and then transfer you to the cancellation department. eircom cancellations will take a record of your intention to cease and give the e-mail address or postal address to send the written request.

They will follow up 30 days later to insure the cancellation order has been processed, assuming eircom have received a letter or e-mail 30 days prior.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Advertisement