Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a safety statement

Options
  • 05-06-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Apparantely I need a safety statement for my business. I only heard of this recently and don't know what it is, why I need it or how to go about getting 1. does it differ for each business and whats the craic with getting one sorted? does it cost money, does it expire?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭billybunty

Apparantely I need a safety statement for my business. I only heard of this recently and don't know what it is, why I need it or how to go about getting 1. does it differ for each business and whats the craic with getting one sorted? does it cost money, does it expire?

cheers
    Hi, have h&s degree. What size /type business do you have? You may be ok with docs from hsa website if you are small
    You are obliged (by law!) to inform employees of your h&s policys & keep training records etc also. It can be a minefield dependant on business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

You need to assess the risks involved in your business as a first step. Here's the HSA's risk assessment tool for small businesses - it's fairly easy to use;

http://www.besmart.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭NeptunesMoon

billybunty wrote: »
    Hi, have h&s degree. What size /type business do you have? You may be ok with docs from hsa website if you are small
    You are obliged (by law!) to inform employees of your h&s policys & keep training records etc also. It can be a minefield dependant on business.

yes, small business, no employees, but sometimes sub contractors, its a service business, manual handling, driving etc i can see as risks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nedrey

Hi,
    I a recent graduate in Enviro H & S
    If you still need help PM me and I would be glad to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭NeptunesMoon

Thanks for the offer, is a health and safety statement something I need to call somebody out to the business to inspect etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nedrey

HSA guidelines recommend that you draft the safety statement yourself, or get someone from within the business to do it as they would be familiar with the workplace and the hazards and risks associated. If this isn't possible then you do need to get someone to call and do a walk around audit with you.
    It really depends on what business you're in, size of the workplace etc., but the safety statement needs to be site specific, therefore unique to your business.. You'd get some people who just copy and paste safety statements from similar businesses and just change the names. .If a HSA inspectors calls and he cops this GOD HELP YA!
    Have a look at my other thread Health and Safety Work Experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mel99

Hiya,

I've worked as a H&S Consultant for over eight years. The majority of my work would have involved helping businesses like yours come to grips with the requirements of H&S legislation, standards and codes of practices within their industry as well as preparing training analysis and organising training required for my clients and their employees. In addition, I have done safety statements for self-employed contractors who also require copies of same for application of tenders, etc. I would be more than happy to meet up with you to have a chat as to your requirements and how I can help. PM me for contact details. All the Best!

Advertisement