Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance companies

• 05-06-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

https://quickquotes.libertyinsurance.ie/qinx.php?ID=110236_2ka9b5u8d849m6g1qvhmp3v8loofip08&l=Y

As you look through the application form from Liberty Insurance you will find that every thing is normal. This is until you are asked as part as your car insurance quote "Have you any non-motoring convictions"?.. This caught me by surprise as i believe they have over stepped the mark regarding peoples private lives..:confused:

Has anyone got an opinion on this?

Ps. I have no Convictions!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I think it is going too far asking questions like this. But there is probably a correlation between criminal convictions and risk taking behaviour in general.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It gives the insurance company an indication of how likely you are to break the law.

Basis of insurance premiums = risk assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Its to see are you an honest individual or the kind that steals things from other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't see the harm in asking tbh. I mean they sometimes ask far less pertinent questions than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The liberty insurance media blitz is doing my head in. Nothing to do with the OP but worthy of a mention I feel. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Id say they would be interested to know if you have any convictions for fraud or arson. This is fair considering it's for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭glenkeeran

Yet as the saying go`s, if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about.. but what about your so called civil liberties?.. anyway insurance companies are looking more and more to renege from policies and its uncomfortable. I am 38 and my dad died young and Insurance brokers prayed on my insecurities and immaturity over the years and have found myself spending about 15k over the last 10yrs on hot air when i didn't need it... i know this is off the car subject but is there any morals?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There is a simple solution to the form filling part of that section.

You state:
    "I have not been convicted of anything as the chasing Gardi have not been able to catch and convict me of the many armed robberies I have done before racing away as a driver in a getaway car.

So please don't penalise me - I am still legally innocent!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

how care too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

Biggins wrote: »
    There is a simple solution to the form filling part of that section.

You state:

You're probably a good driver anyway if you got away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I used to work for an insurance broker's, it's a standard question, all insurance companies ask it as far as I know. We used to take it into consideration if the client was looking for credit, ie they wanted to go on our direct debit plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jester252 wrote: »
    how care too expensive

Care too expensive because person who take advantage of care more likely to be in care accident.

Your care too much for care to be covered by other cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Care too expensive because person who take advantage of care more likely to be in care accident.

Exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Who cares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

glenkeeran wrote: »
    i believe they have over stepped the mark regarding peoples private lives...

Ps. I have no Convictions!! :)

Your convictions seem fairly strong :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I used to work for an insurance broker's, it's a standard question, all insurance companies ask it as far as I know. We used to take it into consideration if the client was looking for credit, ie they wanted to go on our direct debit plan.

Having been driving for 20+ years and changed companies nearly every year since day one along with pricing insurance with other companies coming up to the renewal date i can safely say i have never been asked or seen that question on any application/renewal form.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

I've been shopping around as my insuance is up soon and every single online insurer ask that question. If you answer 'yes' they immediatly stop proceedings and say they are unable to quote you at this time. I got one lovely quote because I said No. ( I have a driving offence from years ago). But if i were to accept I wouldn't be insured. In the event of a accident they would check my driving records and find I had made a false statement and therefore the insurance cert would be null and void.

Advertisement