Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mother anger at IRA medals given by GAA

• 05-06-2012 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

Just read this story on the BBC, I couldn't believe that even the GAA would be so insensitive as to give kids medals with the picture of an IRA terrorist on them to 12 year old kids!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18322046

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Just because one small club done it doesnt represent the whole of the GAA. At the end of the day who really cares no harm done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sounds kinda dodgy alright.. and why are those tournaments called blitzes? The poor young folk are too exposed to militarism these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

GAA in IRA support shock.

and this made the NEWS?

to be fair, I'm amazed that this happened now.

15 years ago it would be expected.

I thought that the GAA had moved on, especially with the rugby in Croke park etc.

very sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Play in Pearse Park
    P H Pearse as their logo
    Pearse in their name

Maybe the decision maker views Martin McCaughey as much the same and from the same tradition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

and this made the NEWS?

I thought that the GAA had moved on, especially with the rugby in Croke park etc.

very sad
    I thought they would have moved on after the Ronan Kerr murder, but they seem determined to be a source of sectarian strife to match the Orange Order in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...The poor young folk are too exposed to militarism these days.

Some of our young folk can't win.
    They seemed to have gotten or still be getting exposed to one thing or another in this country!

Hey! Teacher! Leave them kids alone!
    All in all it's just another brick in the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I really didn't like the comments from the GAA press people.
    A press officer for Tyrone Gaelic Athletic Association said: "If the mother has a comment, she should make it to Tyrone County offices, they would obviously look at it."
    A spokesman for the GAA's Ulster Council said: "The Ulster Council has no comment to make until we receive official notification from the individual involved."

Jayzus. No wonder why she went to the press.
    A wee bit threatening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

News just in.

Queen disgusted at plane landing at airfield named 'Casement'.

Irish martyrdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I think that sounds a bit dodge. Have to say I agree with the mother's reservations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I'd be more insulted at getting such a sh1tty medal tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Haha. They probably had a giggle at the time when deciding on the medals format. All about to blow up in their faces now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I agree with the mother here, it's not appropriate. What is the idea behind it.

foxyboxer wrote: »
    I'd be more insulted at getting such a sh1tty medal tbh.

True.
    Kids today, I suspect they prefer a packet of fags and a can of larger to wash the hashcake down!

A ruddy daft medal? Stuff tha! :D

and this made the NEWS?

very sad

unionist hates the gaa shocker, also hates irish names

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78994207

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I would have my kids out of the club in a light. That's pretty disgraceful although I'm sure not all clubs would do something like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Biggins wrote: »
    True.
    Kids today, I suspect they prefer a packet of fags and a can of larger to wash the hashcake down!

A ruddy daft medal? Stuff tha! :D

What?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yeah, maybe this wasn't such a clever move by the GAA club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Fair play to that woman for complaining, Croke Park should intervene here and penalise the clubs/organisers of that tournament. It gives the entire association a bad name. People from the unionist community dont see a difference between individual clubs and the entire association. There needs to be some rules brought in about what is and what is not appropriate for clubs to be "celebrating/honouring" in relation to sensitivities to both communities in Northern Ireland.

It might not encourage one person from the unionist community to take up Gaelic Games, however i think its the right thing to do. The GAA needs to be clear to clubs throughout Ulster, that it thrives to be an apolitical association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Wow, big deal.

"Terrorist" my arse. The "terrorists" were the scum who executed him as he lay wounded on the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

hondasam wrote: »
    I agree with the mother here, it's not appropriate. What is the idea behind it.

Bigoted ignorance. Simple

• Advertisement

SocSocPol wrote: »
    I thought they would have moved on after the Ronan Kerr murder, but they seem determined to be a source of sectarian strife to match the Orange Order in NI.
    how were the GAA involved in the Ronan Kerr murder?

Scratch that, he played GAA thats the only link there.

The not so subtle attempts at linking the IRA to the GAA are pathetic. Not to mention that I suspect the medal is of a PIRA member who was shot dead, and not a RIRA member who were supposed to have been involved with the Kerr murder.

But sure RIRA,PIRA, GAA, Celtic FC , its all the same to some.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Wow, big deal.

"Terrorist" my arse. The "terrorists" were the scum who executed him as he lay wounded on the ground

Two sets of dirtbirds to be fair. One official, one not.

The "idea behind it" was the fact it was a memorial thing for a former member of the GAA club in question.

Wow, big deal.

He was a terrorist, even his family admit that he was armed and on "active service" with PIRA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

People have short memories, the IRA made this country and should be kept alive for their sacrfices that they made for this so called free state . Ashamed she should be

Sergeant wrote: »
    What?? :confused:

I jest (not very well though!). :o

In seriousness though, it seems someone has sought to seek out their own agenda/publicity on something at a low local level?
    Not the first time I have come across that myself.

The mother does have a point in raising the issue I feel.
    Now if its appropriate to give to kids that really, in all honestly would probably be scratching heir heads in puzzlement - now thats another question!

Wow, big deal.

You were there and saw this happening then? Nah, didn't think so.

Whatever your views on the Brits are, there's no need to be ramming propaganda down the throats of little kids who have grown up in "different times".

I'd like a United Ireland too, but I'd hate to be lumped into the same category as yourself.

There's ways and means of doing stuff, and our thinking behind this couldn't be further apart.

Spunk84 wrote: »
    People have short memories, the IRA made this country and should be kept alive for their sacrfices that they made for this so called free state . Ashamed she should be
    Yes, murdering Jean McConville was the salvation of Ireland, thank god we had such brave souls!

Agreed I would be ashamed if I was her.

She didnt report it to the GAA just the local papers. And no name given either, all for a few hundred quid I bet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

SocSocPol wrote: »
    even his family admit that he was armed and on "active service"

So was the man they named the club after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

I don't think it was appropriate.

But the area is steeped in Republicanism. Worse than South Armagh.

One Hunger Striker. Martin Hurson.
    4 or 5 locals killed in Loughgall

There is a huge amount of information out there on it all. Those are only two snippets about the area. There are a lot of incidents in the general area during all the crap that went on.

Still think the medals were wrong though.

I jest (not very well though!). :o

In seriousness though, it seems someone has sought to seek out their own agenda/publicity on something at a low local level?
    Not the first time I have come across that myself.

The mother does have a point in raising the issue I feel.
    Now if its appropriate to give to kids that really, in all honestly would probably be scratching heir heads in puzzlement - now thats another question!
    The man was a member of the GAA club who was murdered.

It was a way to remember a former (very talented I'm told) member.

He was an elected councilor as well.

Bit of a difference in the IRA that helped establish this country and the IRA that was around in the 70's 80's and 90's.

I had thought we had moved on from this sort of thinking but obviously some people are stuck in the past.

The "idea behind it" was the fact it was a memorial thing for a former member of the GAA club in question.

It's still not appropriate, it's not what he is remembered for really is it.

This thread is going in circles once again. No surprise people crawling from under their rock to have a pop at the GAA.

Trying to link the murder of Ronan Kerr to the GAA, I've heard it all. Cringeworthy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Now that's funny, was he a star player? Was he heavily involved in promoting the game among young people. Did he promote peace and harmony for all sections of the community?

None of the above, he became a gunman and he was killed while going about his business. Somehow in the twisted minds of the people who run that club. It makes him a hero and and example for children to follow.

Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

You obviously know nothing of the GAA.

Do you believe GAA people in places like Waterford, Roscommon or Offaly support the IRA?

You probably couldn't point out those places on a map.

Thats fair enough I suppose.
    It seems that (as usual) some opinions such as the mothers, differs from those that gave out the medals.
    It will be up to parents then either to agree with the sentiment or educate their offspring as to what they think is right or wrong.

The club (and I and NOT defending them - just guessing) I assume is doing what they think is appropriate in their eyes according to their opinion.

The mother should still have the right to question, thats all ...as should any person.

It's still not appropriate, it's not what he is remembered for really is it.

Locally he is remembered as a hero who gave his life for a belief.

He also took out two SAS soldiers.

Not really a lot you can do about that on a local level.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Bit of a difference in the IRA that helped establish this country and the IRA that was around in the 70's 80's and 90's.

I had thought we had moved on from this sort of thinking but obviously some people are stuck in the past.
    Silly me, I forgot, the old IRA fought the Brits with hugs and tickles

• Advertisement

PC CDROM wrote: »
    Locally he is remembered as a hero who gave his life for a belief.

He also took out two SAS soldiers.

Not really a lot you can do about that on a local level.

Nothing to do with being a GAA player then is it so it's not appropriate, hidden agenda there I think.

Nothing to do with being a GAA player then is it so it's not appropriate, hidden agenda there I think.
    He was a player for the club and represented the country at numerous levels

I think judging by the medals it wasn't really a hidden agenda.

Just a tribute to a local person by a local GAA club for a former member and player.

For the record again.... I don't agree with it.

But I don't see a hidden agenda.

• Administrators Posts: 54,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do us a favour, stop taking us for fools.

He is not on that medal for any sporting reason.

I think the point is that if his face was going to be on a sports medal - then it should be there for sporting achievements?
    Was the givers of the medal trying to popularise/make infamous the man for other reasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Willie Frazer will have a fit when he hears about this.

He was a talented player I'm not denying that or taking it from him but it's not the reason people remember him.
    Perhaps the club see nothing wrong with it but I still don't think it's appropriate considering how he died and what he stood for.

DB10 wrote: »
    This thread is going in circles once again. No surprise people crawling from under their rock to have a pop at the GAA.

Trying to link the murder of Ronan Kerr to the GAA, I've heard it all. Cringeworthy stuff.

This thread is not about having a pop at the GAA in general. I'm a member of the GAA.

What this thread is about is the inappropriate (in my opinion) use of a deceased IRA activist's image being displayed on children's GAA medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

Why would you use the term "murdered"? Even if you agree with Provos, you'd say he was KIA not murdered in action.

I think the point is that if his face was going to be on a sports medal - then it should be there for sporting achievements?
    Was the givers of the medal trying to popularise/make infamous the man for other reasons?
    If I'm not mistaken the tournament is named after him, hence his face on the medal..

He was a well known man, well loved by his community. If it was as I suspect, in the tournament named after him which is an annual event, then the mother has no right to moan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement