Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mother anger at IRA medals given by GAA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

PC CDROM wrote: »
    Locally he is remembered as a hero who gave his life for a belief.

He also took out two SAS soldiers.

Not really a lot you can do about that on a local level.
    I think judging by the medals it wasn't really a hidden agenda.

Just a tribute to a local person by a local GAA club for a former member and player.

For the record again.... I don't agree with it.

But I don't see a hidden agenda.

Sorry but your other post kinda says it's a hidden agenda and he was honoured for his beliefs and not his GAA skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Joko wrote: »
    Why would you use the term "murdered"? Even if you agree with Provos, you'd say he was KIA not murdered in action.

'Ra heads can pick and choose terms like that and apply them when it suits.

Irish provos and Irish civilians: Murdered.

British soldiers and British civilians: Killed in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Joko wrote: »
    Why would you use the term "murdered"? Even if you agree with Provos, you'd say he was KIA not murdered in action.

It's a technical "thing"

I could explain but would I be wasting my breath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

If I'm not mistaken the tournament is named after him, hence his face on the medal..

He was a well known man, well loved by his community. If it was as I suspect, in the tournament named after him which is an annual event, then the mother has no right to moan.
    Bit like describing Adolf Hitler as being "well loved by all Germans" and then putting his face on sporting medals while claiming you support integration through sport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If go to a club called Galbally-Pearses you can't realy come back and complain if an IRA man is put on a medal

There are clubs in every county named after leaders and gunmen

But we're picking and choosing and deciding some are acceptable and others are heinous terrorists

hondasam wrote: »
    Sorry but your other post kinda says it's a hidden agenda and he was honoured for his beliefs and not his GAA skills.

Did you actually read my posts?

How is it "hidden"? It seems very obvious to me?

Did you actually read my posts?

How is it "hidden"? It seems very obvious to me?

Was he honoured for his beliefs or his GAA skills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

So "hidden" its called the annual Martin McCaughey memorial tournament.

Tournament named after a very popular member who was killed, I suggest people just get over it, the "Mother" (who I suspect doesnt exist) must be a right plank
    ""I think we should have at least been told what the medals would have on them and given a chance to decide whether we wanted our children to take part or not."

The name of the tournament might be a bit of a clue love!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I think the point is that if his face was going to be on a sports medal - then it should be there for sporting achievements?
    Was the givers of the medal trying to popularise/make infamous the man for other reasons?
    If I'm not mistaken the tournament is named after him, hence his face on the medal..

He was a well known man, well loved by his community. If it was as I suspect, in the tournament named after him which is an annual event, then the mother has no right to moan.

That don't answer the question though.
    As hondasam asks, was he honoured for his beliefs or his GAA skills?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The man was a member of the GAA club who was murdered.

It was a way to remember a former (very talented I'm told) member.

He was an elected councilor as well.

So he wasn't a soldier in a war then?

So "hidden" its called the annual Martin McCaughey memorial tournament.

Tournament named after a very popular member who was killed, I suggest people just get over it, the "Mother" (who I suspect doesnt exist) must be a right plank

The name of the tournament might be a bit of a clue love!
    Typical sneering psuedo-republican attitude, the same attitude they still show to the family of Jean McConville and other innocent victims of their criminality.

Was he honoured for his beliefs or his GAA skills?

For neither really... I think.

Just for being "local" and "Giving his life" for a cause that history will not be kind to.

It was a memorial contest in his name?

Defo not GAA playing skilz

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Typical sneering psuedo-republican attitude, the same attitude they still show to the family of Jean McConville and other innocent victims of their criminality.
    That would be the family members who were in the IRA?

What jean mcconville has to do with this I have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

BattleCorp wrote: »
    This thread is not about having a pop at the GAA in general. I'm a member of the GAA.

What this thread is about is the inappropriate (in my opinion) use of a deceased IRA activist's image being displayed on children's GAA medals.

I agree. A lot of GAA supporters do not like being linked to the IRA because of their sporting choices DB10. You think it's cringe-worthy to link Ronan Kerr's death to the GAA. I agree. Is it not also cringe-worthy to link IRA activities in general to the GAA? It's a sport after all.

Another factor that should be taken into consideration it the upset this would cause anybody who has had a relative die at the hands of the IRA. You could be a supporter of Irish Republicanism and still have enough empathy for another human being to disagree with these medals. Sure so many Catholics had family members killed by the IRA; the GAA should certainly have consulted parents first.

...The name of the tournament might be a bit of a clue love!

With the greatest of respect, that tail-end of your answer ("...love!") above is somewhat condescending.
    Any org/party you might support and hope to see gain prominence, does not do well with replies like that.
    I would politely suggest you phrase your answers in better tone if only that they advocate your position and opinions better with out the slights?

• Advertisement

'Ra heads can pick and choose terms like that and apply them when it suits.

Irish provos and Irish civilians: Murdered.

British soldiers and British civilians: Killed in action.

ah here....the opposite also applies.

:(

You'd be surprised how many people were "killed" with rubber bullets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

IRA medals?

Are you Willie Frazer OP?

Biggins wrote: »
    That don't answer the question though.
    As hondasam asks, was he honoured for his beliefs or his GAA skills?
    Its a very republican area as has been said. The man was a talented member as well as being very popular, both within the GAA in the area as well as the general population (hence he was elected). He was killed in very disputed circumstances.

Local GAA club in which he was a member has a memorial tournament. If he was killed in a car crash, or even if he was not a republican Im sure there would have been memorial events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Willie Frazer will have a fit when he hears about this.

Hopefully a fatal one.

Just for being "local" and "Giving his life" for a cause that history will not be kind to.

This says it all really, nothing to do with GAA or the club he played for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

So he wasn't a soldier in a war then?

Was wondering when you would show up... Where's Keith AFC?

I know the workings of GAA clubs, being an active member of one myself. The prizes would have been agreed upon at committee level,the same as the decision to run the tournament. Nothing is done within the GAA without a meeting and it being agreed upon. Just ask Seanie Johnston.

A lot of members both at committee level and non committee level within the club would have known prior to the competition that the winners were receiving these medals and what was on them. Any objections would have been dealt with swiftly before the tournament.

I would very much doubt that anyone approached any paper. He was a member of the club previously and To be fair the picture on the medal doesn't depict him in IRA paraphernalia.

Nelson Mandella was a member of a recognised terrorist organisation.

Biggins wrote: »
    With the greatest of respect, that tail-end of your answer ("...love!") above is somewhat condescending.
    Any org/party you might support and hope to see gain prominence, does not do well with replies like that.
    I would politely suggest you phrase your answers in better tone if only that they advocate your position and opinions better with out the slights?
    As I said I suspect the mother doesn't exist and is someone who has an axe to grind. Hence the massive misrepresentation, youd think they were just given the medals out of the blue rather than having entered a memorial tournament named in the mans honor.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BFDCH.

Ms.M wrote: »
    I agree. A lot of GAA supporters do not like being linked to the IRA because of their sporting choices DB10. You think it's cringe-worthy to link Ronan Kerr's death to the GAA. I agree. Is it not also cringe-worthy to link IRA activities in general to the GAA? It's a sport after all.

Another factor that should be taken into consideration it the upset this would cause anybody who has had a relative die at the hands of the IRA. You could be a supporter of Irish Republicanism and still have enough empathy for another human being to disagree with these medals. Sure so many Catholics had family members killed by the IRA; the GAA should certainly have consulted parents first.

Hear hear, next stop- renaming the Sam maguire, how dare they have the main cup named after an IRB, IRA and GAA man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I know the workings of GAA clubs, being an active member of one myself. The prizes would have been agreed upon at committee level,the same as the decision to run the tournament. Nothing is done within the GAA without a meeting and it being agreed upon. Just ask Seanie Johnston.

A lot of members both at committee level and non committee level within the club would have known prior to the competition that the winners were receiving these medals and what was on them. Any objections would have been dealt with swiftly before the tournament.

I would very much doubt that anyone approached any paper.

Just highlighting the usual hypocrisy (as another poster has already done).

Its a very republican area as has been said. The man was a talented member as well as being very popular, both within the GAA in the area as well as the general population (hence he was elected). He was killed in very disputed circumstances.

Local GAA club in which he was a member has a memorial tournament. If he was killed in a car crash, or even if he was not a republican Im sure there would have been memorial events

He was killed in questionable circumstance.
    I DO think myself that there was an unofficial "Shoot to kill" attitude.
    HOWEVER if there was/is memorial events for his achievements as such beyond a playing field, its at those events that a persons other part of life is best put forth to the public.

If he is being remembered just for sport reasons, and done appropriately without avocation for or against a war/struggle, etc then I would say there might be a better time and place to publicise the other latter aspects of the mans life.
    I think (suspect) this is what concerns the mother?

This says it all really, nothing to do with GAA or the club he played for.

Notes lack of phrase "Hidden agenda" in reply. :)

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

whats the big deal? these men are classed as heros in some parts. should we rename all our roads/parks/barracks because some people are ashamed of people who fought for their country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

"Terrorists"

That is a word all too bandied about these days. It is amazing the power the media have over peoples tiny minds on this Island.

Anybody research anything? No?

Grand, this man is a hero to those he fought for. The same people that laud Michael Collins would condemn a young lad like Martin McCaughey for the same reasons.

Yet, the jubilee is something to be celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I am only after realising that recently I played in a tournament in memory of a former IRA member (who done time in prison) and a former club member of my club who died a number of years back. He was also an member of Sinn Fein and the local town council.

He was a fantastic footballer and represented the county also.

Should I instruct the club to call off future tournaments for fear of offending?

whats the big deal? these men are classed as heros in some parts. should we rename all our roads/parks/barracks because some people are ashamed of people who fought for their country?

I think the big deal is that people are right in saying it is wrong that an IRA man is on a medal given to kids but looking beyond the simplistic nature of the "news" story there is a history and sort of a reason behind it.

Not that it still makes it right.

But some people are just entrenched in their views either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I would very much doubt that anyone approached any paper. He was a member of the club previously and To be fair the picture on the medal doesn't depict him in IRA paraphernalia.

Nelson Mandella was a member of a recognised terrorist organisation.

Exactly - I doubt the alleged woman exists. The history of the tournament and the type of medals would not be a surprise to anyone in the club.
    If the BBC want to do a serious article on whether it is appropriate to honour the memory of IRA members in GAA clubs, thats fine. This sensationalist crap is stupid. Also I don't think those of us lucky enough to have lived our lives in the peaceful 26 counties should be quick to judge life up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Thought I would throw in a KeithAFC quote!
    KeithAFC wrote:
    Yes. People remember their war dead. Same with Bobby Sands on here and other IRA combatants. But the guns are gone.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78082400&postcount=527

BFDCH. wrote: »
    Hear hear, next stop- renaming the Sam maguire, how dare they have the main cup named after an IRB, IRA and GAA man.

I don't think there is anyone directly related to somebody killed by Sam Maguire still alive. People who are directly related to Sam Maguire mightn't actually appreciate you likening him to the more recent IRA.
    You're always going to piss off somebody if you go down the politicised route. Political affiliations only damage the sport and there's enough room for them in... well... politics...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I agree with all of what you have said. It isn't right, but I believe someone else mentioned the club is named after an IRA man (?) I'm not sure if that's true but again I would have thought it may have posed the parents a problem in joining it.

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Yes, murdering Jean McConville was the salvation of Ireland, thank god we had such brave souls!

Is this about medals or is it a general hatred you have for all things Republican?

You're just axe-grinding aren't you?

Notes lack of phrase "Hidden agenda" in reply. :)

Thanks.

I noted the lack of logic in her response to your post, which s/he seems to have taken as fact.
    You've both obviously read the thread, yet you've ignored the post which state that the kids were playing in an annual tournament named after the man, hosted in the club where the dead man was a member and player.

Why did you ignore this? Were you being wilfully ignorant or are you a little bit slow?
    My guess is that you aren't exceptionally slow. I think you've made the choice to ignore the obvious reason why club members have seen the link between the man and the club, but I don't know why any normal person would do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You were there and saw this happening then? Nah, didn't think so.

You didn't give him a chance to reply.

Is this about medals or is it a general hatred you have for all things Republican?

You're just axe-grinding aren't you?
    I was responding to a poster who was claiming we owe the IRA, all I owe them is my utter contemp, similarly the UVF,SAS,and all the other murdering gangs who have plagued this Island for too long.

I noted the lack of logic in her response to your post, which s/he seems to have taken as fact.
    You've both obviously read the thread, yet you've ignored the post which state that the kids were playing in an annual tournament named after the man, hosted in the club where the dead man was a member and player.

Why did you ignore this? Were you being wilfully ignorant or are you a little bit slow?
    My guess is that you aren't exceptionally slow. I think you've made the choice to ignore the obvious reason why club members have seen the link between the man and the club, but I don't know why any normal person would do that.

Bait? Chew? nomnomnomnomn!

Obviously I am slow.

By "obvious reason" I can only suggest you mean "non hidden agenda"?

Obviously

• Advertisement

I don't think there is anyone directly related to somebody killed by Sam Maguire still alive. People who are directly related to Sam Maguire mightn't actually appreciate you likening him to the more recent IRA.
    You're always going to piss off somebody if you go down the politicised route. Political affiliations only damage the sport and there's enough room for them in... well... politics...

How is that relevant and Who did Martin mccaughy murder anyway?

There are plenty of people up the north who'll get offended at anything,the colour green for example, so not doing something just because it may offend someone is not really a reason to not do it.

DB10 wrote: »
    I agree with all of what you have said. It isn't right, but I believe someone else mentioned the club is named after an IRA man (?) I'm not sure if that's true but again I would have thought it may have posed the parents a problem in joining it.

I think someone said it's named after Pearse and that the tournament was after the man who was on the medals.
    Perhaps she was not so quick on the uptake. :rolleyes:
    She mightn't have known who he was until her son started asking questions about him. The GAA caters for people with a wide-range of political beliefs and rather than reflecting that, I think they should stay the hell away from it all. No point in upsetting people and giving yourself bad press.

How is that relevant and Who did Martin mccaughy murder anyway?

There are plenty of people up the north who'll get offended at anything,the colour green for example, so not doing something just because it may offend someone is not really a reason to not do it.

I disagree.
    And I think people who've had relatives die have more of a right to be offended than people who are offended at people wearing green. The latter are angry for illogical reasons, the former are genuinely in pain.
    Why inflict it on them?
    It's a sport.
    I'm not making any statement on Martin McCaughy whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

Not sure what the fuss is about here.

The man was shot in the course of his struggle against an occupational force which opressed the minority community.

The same is happening all over North Africa and the Middle East today and the media are tripping over themselves to support these causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The man died for his country so he is a hero. Can't see what the problem is about.

I see OP that you've cited 'The Duke of Wellington' as your favourite Irish person.

So it's not violence you're against per sé.

Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Jesus christ if half of you lot on hear ranting about the disgrace at these medals got out off your holes and protested at our disgraceful governments actions this country would actually be alot better today!!

To everyone outside that area this can be seen as inappropriate, but to this mans club and his community it is obviously an accepted tournament and occasion! They havent glorified his actions off the field, they are honoring a former memer, leave them to it.

Some of the posts on here has me cracking up laughing, personally i admire Micheal Collins more than any other Irish person, but if people are trying to compare his day to the republicans during the troubles ad actually believe that collins and his fellow volunteers would not have employed the same tactics if they were around during the troubles they are wrong.

Its so easy for us Irish people living in the 26 counties largely unaffected by the conflixct to label republicans the aggressors and sole armed wing of that conflict, there was alot wrong with ulster then involving state sponsored terrorism of irish catholics for simply being catholic, alot of wrong was done on both sides, but to simply disregard people who lived under that horrible rule and who stood up to fight for their people as terrorists and glorify the british as being the poor innocent victims is actially shocking

Scratch that it isnt im a member on this site along time now and the level of anti republicanism and general self hate for all things irish doesnt shock me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

I see OP that you've cited 'The Duke of Wellington' as your favourite Irish person.

So it's not violence you're against per sé.

Interesting.

Oh jesus, my sides. :D:D:D

• Administrators Posts: 54,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Imagine soccer in the north introduced medals depicting the likes of Billy Wright or Jonny Adair or Michael Stone.

I wonder how many of the "he's a hero" brigade would be falling over themselves to try and excuse, deflect and spin that.

awec wrote: »
    Imagine soccer in the north introduced medals depicting the likes of Billy Wright or Jonny Adair or Michael Stone.

I wonder how many of the "he's a hero" brigade would be falling over themselves to try and excuse, deflect and spin that.

Troll much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I have no problem with the local community commemorating their martyrs... Easter Monday or their anniversary seem like more appropriate days?

I just think the GAA should not be used as a platform for these commemorations. The GAA has the potential to be a community relations building association in Northern Ireland. If we could get unionist and nationalist communities participating together perhaps a lasting peace could be secured...

Dont give the sensational elements in unionism a stick to beat the GAA by allowing clubs politicise the entire association by the actions of a few local clubs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement