Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mother anger at IRA medals given by GAA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

That's not politics is it though, Pompey are a British club.

And a pretty fucked up one, at that. The reason that you use the Union Jack as your avatar is your little Englander mentality and the triumphalist nature of your homeland. Remember Britain no longer rules the waves. And not being able to govern herself she seeks external targets to put in their place.
    More than likely, this woman doesn't exist. But the BBC, to pander to bigoted Unionists, include it as a news item. And there are enough manufactured bleeding hearts out there to stir up quisling-like trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Richard wrote: »
    When were hundreds of people indiscriminately killed by the British Army?

I shouldn't rise, but if you are indeed as blind as a bat, look up the ballymurphy massacre. Better yet, the killings that highlighted just how bad they where, Bloody Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Varied wrote: »
    I shouldn't rise, but if you are indeed as blind as a bat, look up the ballymurphy massacre. Better yet, the killings that highlighted just how bad they where, Bloody Sunday

sigh. You don't seem to have the same levels of hatred for organisations that detonated bombs in England and carried out massacres of their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Even so, you wouldn't expect a sporting organisation in Northern Ireland to hand out medals to children depicting a British soldier, so I can't see how an IRA terrorist deserves to be on such a medal either.

The problem with the GAA is that it is too political. I'm not saying other organisations aren't (the Irish Football Association, for example), but the GAA seems to be unique with its links to the recent armed conflict.

If a club in the Irish league had a player involved in the loyalist paramilitary groups would you paint the entire IFA as having links to the recent armed conflict?

bwatson wrote: »
    Do you have the same levels of hatred for organisations that bombed English pubs and shopping centres? And carried out massacres of its own against unarmed and defenceless protestants?

I will never defend the killing of Innocent people.

However I will defend brave men that fought against the oppressive force that rendered its native people 2nd class citizens, colluded with Loyalist death squads and believed in defending those citizens against said forces.

The majority of the PIRA where good men, they are heroes to the people that mattered and needed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

... but the GAA seems to be unique with its links to the recent armed conflict.
    FFS, the GAA recently invited the British monarch on a tour of their headquarters. Individuals have links to "the recent armed conflict", the GAA as an association does not.

I will never defend the killing of Innocent people.

However I will defend brave men that fought against the oppressive force that rendered its native people 2nd class citizens, colluded with Loyalist death squads and believed in defending those citizens against said forces.

The majority of the PIRA where good men, they are heroes to the people that mattered and needed them.

Nope, I didn't think so. Nowhere near the same levels of conpempt for the organisation that killed more innocents than any other. No mention of "just how bad they were" in the same vein as your comment about the British Army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

.....ahh jaysus. Narrow it down a bit ffs.

Nope, I didn't think so. Nowhere near the same levels of conpempt for the organisation that killed more innocents than any other. No mention of "just how bad they were" in the same vein as your comment about the British Army.

You aren't getting it, the PIRA nor any other Irish army for that matter invaded England or purposely oppressed the people there.

The PIRAs main objectives where to get the british out of Ireland by force and to defend catholics/Irish from them.

There was no anti protestant agenda, no purposely killing innocent people, no interning without trial, no colluding with any government with Death squads. etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

sigh. You don't seem to have the same levels of hatred for organisations that detonated bombs in England and carried out massacres of their own.

bwatson, I would be thoroughly surprised if you showed any sort of alarm at the actions of the British Security forces in Northern Ireland, let alone that you would condemn them.

The idea that you would then call out another poster for such a logical fallacy is a bit unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If it's a competition that has been run for years well I don't really see the problem. The GAA in Northern Ireland was intrinsically linked to the armed struggle, there was many a crossover between politics, Republicanism and the organisation.

Been to many an Ulster Championship match down the years, played in a few Northern grounds, unofficially! ;)

I wouldn't doubt the mothers veracity tbh. Some people don't share my outlook on it, hardly surprising and I don't see why people should be so dismissive of genuine concerns. Some people wouldn't be aware of Loughgall, educating them is more worthwhile than dismissing them.

Rugby, soccer and the GAA are all trying to move on. It's an issue the GAA will have to try and address and throwing mud at questions isn't going to make them go away! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

You aren't getting it, the PIRA nor any other Irish army for that matter invaded England or purposely oppressed the people there.

The PIRAs main objectives where to get the british out of Ireland by force and to defend catholics/Irish from them.

There was no anti protestant agenda, no purposely killing innocent people, no interning without trial, no colluding with any government with Death squads. etc etc etc

You are telling me that attacks like the Warrington bombings and the Kingsmill massacre weren't carried out by the PIRA? :confused: You are seriously suggesting the PIRA didnt kill innocent people on purpose?

bwatson, I would be thoroughly surprised if you showed any sort of alarm at the actions of the British Security forces in Northern Ireland, let alone that you would condemn them.

The idea that you would then call out another poster for such a logical fallacy is a bit unreasonable.

Well, you are wrong. I have done just that in the past in a thread about Bloody Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Spunk84 wrote: »
    People have short memories, the IRA made this country and should be kept alive for their sacrfices that they made for this so called free state . Ashamed she should be

lol, the IRA as it exists now had nothing to do with the making of our country.

Cop yourself on their slow poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

What is the difference between the IRA who fought a guerilla war during the WoI and the IRA who fought from 1969 until the GFA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

There were people who thought like you in the 30s and 40s that had full larders!
    Do you mean to say that today's point would have been reached without arms? Would the Brits have ceded power in any of their colonies without being fired upon.
    The only way that the encouragement has worked was at the point of a gun.
    Apologists for Empire were usually either those that profited from, were weak willed or were cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Spread wrote: »

True that.

See the Anglo Irish treaty of 1921 and the Good Friday Treaty of 1998 for proof.

Both were extremely bad deals, but the people wanted peace at any cost. And well the Brits knew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

FFS, the GAA recently invited the British monarch on a tour of their headquarters.
    Very generous of them, all things considered. What was that about offensive medals again? And from a head of state, not some ballygobackwards sports club, no less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

And a pretty fucked up one, at that. The reason that you use the Union Jack as your avatar is your little Englander mentality and the triumphalist nature of your homeland. Remember Britain no longer rules the waves. And not being able to govern herself she seeks external targets to put in their place.
    More than likely, this woman doesn't exist. But the BBC, to pander to bigoted Unionists, include it as a news item. And there are enough manufactured bleeding hearts out there to stir up quisling-like trouble.

You write that and then accuse someone of bigotry? Wow.

There were people who thought like you in the 30s and 40s that had full larders!
    Do you mean to say that today's point would have been reached without arms? Would the Brits have ceded power in any of their colonies without being fired upon.
    Apologists for Empire were usually either those that profited from, were weak willed or were cowards.

Apologists for terrorism are the lowest of the low tbh.

The only way NI moved forward was when the decent peaceful people from all sections of the community rejected violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

When this man was killed, he was wearing a balaclava and carring a Kalashnikov. It really beggars belief that some people here are advocating that such a person is suitable for commemoration in an Under 12s football tournament.

Ah yes, because the British always respected the peoples they encountered and never left their borders to colonize half the globe in their avaricious quest to control resources and trade routes.

Oh Lordy, the double standards that people display when it comes to northern Republicans/Nationalists are really quite astonishing.

I think the difference though Chuck, is that most people criticse those actions on the part of the British. Whereas, with the IRA, there's always a sixzeable contingent waiting to excuse and defend their actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Einhard wrote: »
    I think the difference though Chuck, is that most people criticse those actions on the part of the British. Whereas, with the IRA, there's always a sixzeable contingent waiting to excuse and defend their actions.

They do?

They do?

Yup. I can't say I've ever found many people, either on these boards, or in real life who celebrate colonialism.

Even if that were the case though, and there was a double standard, it wouldn't make celebrating at a kids' sports event an IRA man shot dead while toting a kalashnikov any less insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Einhard wrote: »
    Yup. I can't say I've ever found many people, either on these boards, or in real life who celebrate colonialism.

That would be days-gone-by colonialism of the boots on far-away lands kind you're talking about I presume. Neo-colonialism can be just as treacherous and lead to the loss of tens of thousands of lives. Would you be the type to condemn neo-colonialism yourself?
    Even if that were the case though, and there was a double standard, it wouldn't make celebrating at a kids' sports event an IRA man shot dead while toting a kalashnikov any less insane.

I've already said that remembering people who die in conflicts is probably best done discreetly. I'm not big on glorifying death by violent means and displays of overt militarism myself - something that state actors are extremely fond of - not least of all our British neighbours.

That would be days-gone-by colonialism of the boots on far-away lands kind you're talking about I presume. Neo-colonialism can be just as treacherous and lead to the loss of tens of thousands of lives. Would you be the type to condemn neo-colonialism yourself?

I condemn all forms of action whereby one group attempts to impose their views or their hegemony through force.
    I've already said that remembering people who die in conflicts is probably best done discreetly. I'm not big on glorifying death by violent means and displays of overt militarism myself - something that state actors are extremely fond of - not least of all our British neighbours.

Well, looks like we're in agreement then.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 FeckinUsername

I'm coming in late on this argument, and I apologise if this rather obvious point has been raised already, but - she is complaining that Republicans are being commemorated, but she had no problem sending her child to a club named after Patrick Pearse? Oh dear.

But that seems to be the excuse for everything "The Brits do this, the Brits did that".

When a sports club (and in my opinion sports is the best way to bring people together) is dishing out medals with a picture of a politically controversial person on them, it is only to reinforce further the divide. It is always going to alienate one part of the community just as people dressing up in bowlers hats and marching divides them.

As long as there is a divided community in NI, there will never be a united Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

But that seems to be the excuse for everything "The Brits do this, the Brits did that".

When a sports club (and in my opinion sports is the best way to bring people together) is dishing out medals with a picture of a politically controversial person on them, it is only to reinforce further the divide. It is always going to alienate one part of the community just as people dressing up in bowlers hats and marching divides them.

As long as there is a divided community in NI, there will never be a united Ireland.

What about when a sports organisation, say like the Football Association, invites thugs and murderers from the British Army to be paraded out and cheered by crowds before international matches.

I'm sure those slaughtered in Iraq and Afganistan by occupying British forces would be impressed.

Funny how the British lecture the Irish over "moving on" while still pretending it's an empire....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

PC CDROM wrote: »
    I don't think it was appropriate.

But the area is steeped in Republicanism. Worse than South Armagh.

One Hunger Striker. Martin Hurson.
    4 or 5 locals killed in Loughgall

There is a huge amount of information out there on it all. Those are only two snippets about the area. There are a lot of incidents in the general area during all the crap that went on.

Still think the medals were wrong though.

Worse?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What about when a sports organisation, say like the Football Association, invites thugs and murderers from the British Army to be paraded out and cheered by crowds before international matches.

I'm sure those slaughtered in Iraq and Afganistan by occupying British forces would be impressed.

Funny how the British lecture the Irish over "moving on" while still pretending it's an empire....

But but but but what about........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Where do you want me to start? :rolleyes:

With something to back up your statement, maybe?

Oh I don't doubt that there were some people killed by the British Army who shouldn't have been. And it was a tragedy and it was wrong. But there weren't hundreds of people killed indiscriminately by the British Army as was suggested.

FFS, the GAA recently invited the British monarch on a tour of their headquarters. Individuals have links to "the recent armed conflict", the GAA as an association does not.

That's what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

It would be appropriate for Tyrone County Board to have a word with the officers in that club. Putting such recent events on medals goes against the spirit the ethos of the GAA.

• Advertisement

IrishAm wrote: »
    What is the difference between the IRA who fought a guerilla war during the WoI and the IRA who fought from 1969 until the GFA?

Different organisations. The former, became the Irish Defence Forces and had public support (we're talking about the IRA, not the IRB or any of the 1916 crowd).

The latter never had widespread public support in Ireland and killed over 2000 people in a terrorist campaign. Most people in Ireland would call them terrorists.

Some people would call the WoI IRA terrorists, but most wouldn't.

That's the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He's probably a local hero up there, seems legit to me

Bambi wrote: »
    He's probably a local hero up there, seems legit to me

I'm sure Billy Wright was a hero to some Loyalists, but I wouldn't give a medal with his face on it to children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

With something to back up your statement, maybe?

Do you actually think Britain acquired a huge empire by being nice to people? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm sure Billy Wright was a hero to some Loyalists, but I wouldn't give a medal with his face on it to children.

I dunno, he was easy enough on the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭nua domhan

hondasam wrote: »
    Was he honoured for his beliefs or his GAA skills?

That's for the mother to tell the child when he asks who's the guy on the medal.

It's either a talented GAA player who died years ago, or an IRA terrorist gunman who i can call the papers about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

rn wrote: »
    It would be appropriate for Tyrone County Board to have a word with the officers in that club. Putting such recent events on medals goes against the spirit the ethos of the GAA.

But yet both championship cups are named after armed, unaccountable Republicans with no mandate. Not to mention clubs named after the likes of O'Donovan Rossa, Pádraig Pearse and other armed terrorists who didn't give two f*cks about democratic approval from anyone.

Richard,
    The former, became the Irish Defence Forces and had public support

Eh, the IRA rejected the Treaty in 1922, the Free State Army were formed out of a minority of the organisation. The rest remained constituted as the IRA.
    e're talking about the IRA, not the IRB or any of the 1916 crowd).

The 1916 crowd and the IRA of the Tan War were the same organisation led by the same people by and large, there was a mere two years between them like. Stop pretending there was a massive gulf in terms of tactics and politics between the two.

Do you actually think Britain acquired a huge empire by being nice to people? :rolleyes:

No I don't. But we're talking specifically about the troubles in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

But there weren't hundreds of people killed indiscriminately by the British Army as was suggested.

Yes there was, from kids to mothers to grannys and priests. Nice selection, look up Suttons list of deaths if you don't believe it. And they got away with it media style too.

Different organisations. The former, became the Irish Defence Forces and had public support (we're talking about the IRA, not the IRB or any of the 1916 crowd).

The latter never had widespread public support in Ireland and killed over 2000 people in a terrorist campaign. Most people in Ireland would call them terrorists.

Some people would call the WoI IRA terrorists, but most wouldn't.

That's the difference.

The other difference is that the old IRA were fighting to liberate a nation in which the majority wanted independence.

The PIRA were fighting for control of northern ireland - whose inhabitants (or at least the majority of them) DIDN'T want to join the Republic. They were, in effect, attempting to take the six counties by force.

This shouldn't really be confusing.

BTW the soccer analogy above is spot on. If the IFA set up a Billy Wright Cup and went on about he was "a hero to our community" we would be right in saying they are being complete c*nts. Just the same way we agree that soccer in the North is riddled with sectarianism and that they need to cop themselves on.

But when "we" do it somehow it's all ok. The GAA need to wise up on this one.

FTA69 wrote: »
    The 1916 crowd and the IRA of the Tan War were the same organisation led by the same people by and large, there was a mere two years between them like. Stop pretending there was a massive gulf in terms of tactics and politics between the two.

The actions of the early IRA were, by and large, supported by the Irish population (predominantly in what became the Free State, but also elsewhere). The election results of 1918 and the following years indicated that support.

The actions of the PIRA were not supported by most of the Irish population, including a democratically elected Irish government and by the outcomes of elections in NI.

Only when the troubles were over did Sinn Fein's popularity increase massively.

gurramok wrote: »
    Yes there was, from kids to mothers to grannys and priests. Nice selection, look up Suttons list of deaths if you don't believe it. And they got away with it media style too.

The number Sutton given is 297. Now, where does it say "hundreds indiscriminately"?

But I feel this is getting off-topic....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The actions of the early IRA were, by and large, supported by the Irish population (predominantly in what became the Free State, but also elsewhere). The election results of 1918 and the following years indicated that support.

People voting for Sinn Féin in 1918 does not correlate with support for an armed struggle. The IRA was a seperate organisation which sought no mandate from anyone, indeed its first action was to shoot two policemen. An operation that was done spontaneously by Dan Breen and his comrades because they felt "things needed moving on a bit." Prior to that those IRA leaders such as Collins etc had participated in an armed Rising which had no mandate or no approval from the Irish people and were spat upon for doing so.

Whether you like it or not the same factors motivated both the early IRA and the modern IRA; namely the principle that armed struggle in pursuit of Irish freedom is legitimate and no mandate is needed to resist occupation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The number Sutton given is 297. Now, where does it say "hundreds indiscriminately"?

But I feel this is getting off-topic....

Is 297 murders of a range of civilians not indiscriminate? Deliberate targeting perhaps to terrorise natonalists? And we're not counting collusion with Loyalists yet.

FTA69 wrote: »
    People voting for Sinn Féin in 1918 does not correlate with support for an armed struggle. The IRA was a seperate organisation which sought no mandate from anyone, indeed its first action was to shoot two policemen. An operation that was done spontaneously by Dan Breen and his comrades because they felt "things needed moving on a bit." Prior to that those IRA leaders such as Collins etc had participated in an armed Rising which had no mandate or no approval from the Irish people and were spat upon for doing so.

Whether you like it or not the same factors motivated both the early IRA and the modern IRA; namely the principle that armed struggle in pursuit of Irish freedom is legitimate and no mandate is needed to resist occupation.

There is a sizeable difference between an armed struggle and outright blatant terrorism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement