Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mother anger at IRA medals given by GAA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

FTA69 wrote: »
    People voting for Sinn Féin in 1918 does not correlate with support for an armed struggle. The IRA was a seperate organisation which sought no mandate from anyone, indeed its first action was to shoot two policemen. An operation that was done spontaneously by Dan Breen and his comrades because they felt "things needed moving on a bit." Prior to that those IRA leaders such as Collins etc had participated in an armed Rising which had no mandate or no approval from the Irish people and were spat upon for doing so.

Read the Sinn Fein election manifesto of 1918 or newspaper articles printed during that election. People knew exactly what they were voting for, a war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

People voting for Sinn Féin in 1918 does not correlate with support for an armed struggle. The IRA was a seperate organisation which sought no mandate from anyone, indeed its first action was to shoot two policemen. An operation that was done spontaneously by Dan Breen and his comrades because they felt "things needed moving on a bit." Prior to that those IRA leaders such as Collins etc had participated in an armed Rising which had no mandate or no approval from the Irish people and were spat upon for doing so.

Whether you like it or not the same factors motivated both the early IRA and the modern IRA; namely the principle that armed struggle in pursuit of Irish freedom is legitimate and no mandate is needed to resist occupation.
    people were voting for sinn fein in english elections,in fact a sinn fein MP took his seat for liverpool,unlike the sinn fein of today,who are only the political wing of the IRA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

As a GAA head, I'm not ok with this. Leaving aside the guys death, this obviously alienates a certain segment of the community and was sure to cause hassle where none need be. It's a kids blitz ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

not the first time a mother over reacted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

c_man wrote: »
    As a GAA head, I'm not ok with this. Leaving aside the guys death, this obviously alienates a certain segment of the community and was sure to cause hassle where none need be. It's a kids blitz ffs.
    Not in the local area anyway.

I bet this mother doesnt exist. If she does she has no right to complain, entering her kid in a memorial tournament at a GAA club named after Pearse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

If she does she has no right to complain,

First of all, she has every right to complain.

Secondly, considering that more than a few people on this forum can see the problem with commemorating gun-toting terrorists on kids' medals, it's not unlikely that some people in the local community feel the same.
    entering her kid in a memorial tournament at a GAA club named after Pearse

Ridiculous analogy. The club has been named after Pearse for decades; as with many strrets and stations around Ireland, the naming happened in a different era. There is a major difference between attending a local club named 60 years ago after a particular personage, and that club handing out medals commemorating kalashnikov-toting terrorists in 2012.

And I'd be of exactly the same opinion were some Loyalist soccer club to hand out medals celebrating Gusty Spence or some other "reformed" murderer. Unlike too many people here though, I hold the Loyalist thugs, the Republican thugs, and the British thugs in equal contempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

He played football himself with Galbally Pearses, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Einhard wrote: »

Secondly, considering that more than a few people on this forum can see the problem with commemorating gun-toting terrorists on kids' medals, it's not unlikely that some people in the local community feel the same.
    The club and it's board are just being honest maybe and don't have a problem.
    It's YOU who doesn't think that McCaughey has anything to do with the aspirations of Pearse, not the club or the board. The elusive, probably fictional mother needs a similar reality check.

Ridiculous analogy. The club has been named after Pearse for decades; as with many strrets and stations around Ireland, the naming happened in a different era. There is a major difference between attending a local club named 60 years ago after a particular personage, and that club handing out medals commemorating kalashnikov-toting terrorists in 2012.

And I'd be of exactly the same opinion were some Loyalist soccer club to hand out medals celebrating Gusty Spence or some other "reformed" murderer. Unlike too many people here though, I hold the Loyalist thugs, the Republican thugs, and the British thugs in equal contempt.
    You do realize that the tournament was an annual memorial one named in honour of the man on the medal?

If she had a problem, don't enter the kid. The article (a lazy one) clearly suggests that the medals were just sprung on the kid, they weren't.

Ah yes, the cowardly fence sitter, who sits back, condemns everyone, solves nothing, helps no one except themselves, by basking in the perceived moral superiority.

Well done!

• Advertisement

Not in the local area anyway.

I bet this mother doesnt exist. If she does she has no right to complain, entering her kid in a memorial tournament at a GAA club named after Pearse
    if she is a local rate payer she has a right to have a say on how any of her money is granted and her child should be able to play sport without any political motives

He played football himself with Galbally Pearses, apparently.
    Yes and represented the county, people seem dead set on ignoring the fact that he has a massive connection to the local community, was well loved and is very much missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I don't know enough about it to say that but one anonymous tipster does not speak for everyone in the area and neither this club or the mother speaks for the whole of the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

getz wrote: »
    if she is a local rate payer she has a right to have a say on how any of her money is granted and her child should be able to play sport without any political motives

And she has a duty to her child and what he/she is getting invovled in. It's a fact of life in the North. Galbally Pearse's was a bit of a give away akin to King Billy's Tiddlywinks Assoc. ;)

You do realize that the tournament was an annual memorial one named in honour of the man on the medal?

That makes it even worse IMO. I can't really believe that people don't actually have a problem with children's sports' tournaments commemorating a man who was killed collecting kalashnikovs for an organisation responsible for the murder of 800 civilians during their bloody campaign.
    If she had a problem, don't enter the kid. The article (a lazy one) clearly suggests that the medals were just sprung on the kid, they weren't.

Ah right. So if a local Muslim group decides to have a tournament in aid of, say, one of the London bombers, all of those disagreeing should just keep schtum and simply not enter their kids. Brilliant logic there Fenian.
    Ah yes, the cowardly fence sitter, who sits back, condemns everyone, solves nothing, helps no one except themselves, by basking in the perceived moral superiority.

LOL speaking of lazy writing.

Anyway, I'd rather be a cowardly fence sitter than a coward who murders children and sundry innocent civilians, or one of their cowardly, hypocritical defenders who sit back and excuse and whitewash their murderous actions while simultaneously condemning every Loyalist and British one.

By the way Fenian, the fact that I have never pariticapted in the murder of another, celebrated that murder, or defended that murder means that, yes, I am morally superioir to those who engage in such actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

But yet both championship cups are named after armed, unaccountable Republicans with no mandate. Not to mention clubs named after the likes of O'Donovan Rossa, Pádraig Pearse and other armed terrorists who didn't give two f*cks about democratic approval from anyone.

Richard,
    Those clubs and cups were named at a time in GAA history when it was acceptable to name them as such, ie pre peace process. That doesn't mean we go on a renaming spree. Its not appropriate to have anyone connected with violence or politics commemorated with any GAA competition in the 21st Century, particularly so for youngesters who are changed with being the first generation who have a chance to overcome the hatred and bigotism in life in Ireland.

BTW this is not representative of the GAA. This is a group of individuals in a club who are running a local competition. Its not often the higher powers of Tyrone Co. Board or Ulster council need to get involved in the running of a club, but on this occasion they do. Its not acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

... was well loved and is very much missed.

Not by everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fianna saor

if from what i understand to be true that the competition was named after this man the medals were sure to have some connection with the man/ name of the tournament. so any parent who had a problem with this just dont enter the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Conguill

The PIRA heads here seem to be forgetting that the PIRA killed Irish guards and soldiers as well.

Sinn Féin didn't even have majority support amongst nationalists in NI until well after the Peace Process began.

The Irish government should not give a penny to the GAA while it allows this kind of nonsense to go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Yes and represented the county, people seem dead set on ignoring the fact that he has a massive connection to the local community, was well loved and is very much missed.

Aah shure he joined a terrorist organisation and murdered a few innocent people, but shure didn't Pearse himself do the same thing.

Aah shure he joined a terrorist organisation and murdered a few innocent people, but shure didn't Pearse himself do the same thing.
    What innocent people did he murder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

There is a sizeable difference between an armed struggle and outright blatant terrorism.
    Terrorism generally arises when a population is itself being terrorised without any means to strike back. For example when a large and powerful army invades and occupies weaker countries.

Persecution is a great cause of terrorism. Look at the Americans scratching their heads over Middle Eastern terrorism, they don't realise this simple fact: if you attack, bomb, and keep your boot on the neck of a nation for generations, someone is going to return the favour in a way that you are unable to defend against. Brothers, sisters, children and parents killed as "collateral" or as part of machinations are going to be avenged.

I'm not apologising for terrorists, merely pointing out why it happens. If the US hadn't stepped in during WW2 and Germany had conquered the UK, setting up concentration camps and death squads, would you be so quick to call british people who acted like the IRA terrorists? I think not.

Its all a matter of perspective. One thing is for sure though, this stuff doesn't emerge whole from a vacuum. Nobody sits down and says, well what will I do today, oh I know I'll gather up a group of likewise bored individuals and start a terrorist organisation.

Sitting here in Ireland I feel no fear at all of terrorism. I find the idea laughable. The worst thing that happens around here is a bit of petty crime, and less of that than many places. Why am I so blasé about this monstrous threat which has brought the USA to a quivering pile of jelly and the UK to a society with cameras on every lamp post?

I'm not worried because my country isn't dickish enough to go messing around with other countries. Leave them alone and behold! You too can live like a normal human being.

What innocent people did he murder?

Who knows.

Guilty by association though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Conguill

@Fenian Army, your best argument seems to be that he was too incompetent at being a terrorist to actually do anything before getting killed himself.

Either way, they shouldn't be putting his mug on GAA medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

There is a sizeable difference between an armed struggle and outright blatant terrorism.

So, in your mind, it was OK to take things by force years ago but not right for the rightful owners to claim it back by force. I guess you also blow about British Justice being the best in the world. This is the kind of pathetic nonsense printed in the Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail, Express and Sun. You should seek a bit of balance to your poisoned logic
    Why do you use the Union Jack as an avatar?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭nua domhan

Who knows.

The same way every unionist was guilty of gerrymandering, all paras's are guilty of bloody sunday? The irish government is guilty and implicit in special extradition's through shannon?

Guilty by association? The most idiotic thing i've ever heard. Thankfully many of us in the north are a lot more forward thinking than you and your backward negative unfounded slander and vitriol.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Terrorism generally arises when a population is itself being terrorised without any means to strike back. For example when a large and powerful army invades and occupies weaker countries.

Persecution is a great cause of terrorism. Look at the Americans scratching their heads over Middle Eastern terrorism, they don't realise this simple fact: if you attack, bomb, and keep your boot on the neck of a nation for generations, someone is going to return the favour in a way that you are unable to defend against. Brothers, sisters, children and parents killed as "collateral" or as part of machinations are going to be avenged.

I'm not apologising for terrorists, merely pointing out why it happens. If the US hadn't stepped in during WW2 and Germany had conquered the UK, setting up concentration camps and death squads, would you be so quick to call british people who acted like the IRA terrorists? I think not.

Its all a matter of perspective. One thing is for sure though, this stuff doesn't emerge whole from a vacuum. Nobody sits down and says, well what will I do today, oh I know I'll gather up a group of likewise bored individuals and start a terrorist organisation.

Sitting here in Ireland I feel no fear at all of terrorism. I find the idea laughable. The worst thing that happens around here is a bit of petty crime, and less of that than many places. Why am I so blasé about this monstrous threat which has brought the USA to a quivering pile of jelly and the UK to a society with cameras on every lamp post?

I'm not worried because my country isn't dickish enough to go messing around with other countries. Leave them alone and behold! You too can live like a normal human being.

So Ireland voted against UN security council resolution 1386 did it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

gurramok wrote: »
    Is 297 murders of a range of civilians not indiscriminate?

No. 297 killings, whilst tragic for the family of those involved includes all deaths. Whilst this figure does include civilians (Bloody Sunday, for example), it also includes members of terrorist organisations involved in illegal acts.

The word indiscriminate describes shooting people randomly. Bloody Sunday may be an example of this.
    Deliberate targeting perhaps to terrorise natonalists?

No.

In any case, "deliberate targeting" and "indiscriminate" mean very different things.

nua domhan wrote: »
    The same way every unionist was guilty of gerrymandering, all paras's are guilty of bloody sunday? The irish government is guilty and implicit in special extradition's through shannon?

Guilty by association? The most idiotic thing i've ever heard. Thankfully many of us in the north are a lot more forward thinking than you and your backward negative unfounded slander and vitriol.

Any unionist who picked up a gun is guilty of association and I think it is fairly well established how the Irish feel about the paras.

This isn't some random nationalist we are talking about. He was killed holding an AK47.

Who knows.

Yeah! Good old British Justice again.

Spread wrote: »
    So, in your mind, it was OK to take things by force years ago but not right for the rightful owners to claim it back by force. I guess you also blow about British Justice being the best in the world. This is the kind of pathetic nonsense printed in the Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail, Express and Sun. You should seek a bit of balance to your poisoned logic
    Why do you use the Union Jack as an avatar?

Aah right, so you are simply judging me based your own prejudices are you?

Like I said earlier, you aren't really in a position to call anyone a bigot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Any unionist who picked up a gun is guilty of association and I think it is fairly well established how the Irish feel about the paras.

This isn't some random nationalist we are talking about. He was killed holding an AK47.

Only according to the lads who ambushed him.

I imagine he shot a fair few brit soldiers in his day anyway, they seemed to be quite eager to shoot him.

So Ireland voted against UN security council resolution 1386 did it?
    It is difficult for me to envision the kind of mindset that can equate UN votes to things like Operation Ajax.

Terrorism is the wage of empire, old boy. If you don't like it, do yourself a favour and stop messing with other nations. It doesn't work in these days of readily available automatic weapons and explosives.

It's somewhat ironic that those who are utterly opposed to the British presence in the North, and utterly condemn the wrongdoings of the same organisation in the North, so often use those actions to defend similar actions carried out by the IRA. It's as if, in some warped logic, the murderous actions of the Brits and Loyalists (always condemned) somehow justified the murderous actions of the IRA (always defended). Odd.

Why exactly does Britannia no longer rule the waves?
    Because the exploited/downtrodden/evicted people started fighting back.

It's somewhat ironic that those who are utterly opposed to the British presence in the North, and utterly condemn the wrongdoings of the same organisation in the North, so often use those actions to defend similar actions carried out by the IRA. It's as if, in some warped logic, the murderous actions of the Brits and Loyalists (always condemned) somehow justified the murderous actions of the IRA (always defended). Odd.

They are an army of occupation. Tell me anywhere in the world that enjoys a foreign force on it's soil/being invaded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

http://northbelfast-ni.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/peter_robinson_1.12820329_std.jpg

And this lad is our First minister!!

Also, why am I not surprised to find you in here Fred?

Heh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

They are an army of occupation. Tell me anywhere in the world that enjoys a foreign force on it's soil/being invaded.

I'm drawn to the chores of The Ballad of Joe McDonald.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭vider12

GAA in IRA support shock.

and this made the NEWS?

to be fair, I'm amazed that this happened now.

15 years ago it would be expected.

I thought that the GAA had moved on, especially with the rugby in Croke park etc.

very sad

Must have been a very slow news day....

The GAA has powers throughout Ireland and has never been in favor of the War in the North..

Id put it down to a slow news day and one over sensitive woman.

Firstly, what's that got to do with the point I made. I'll give you a clue:
    nothing

Secondly, the under the GFA, the people of Ireland voted to renounce our territorial claims to the North. The majority in the North wish to remain part of the United Kingdom. Hence, logically, the British Army cannot be considered an army of occupation in the North, an internationally recognised constituent part of the UK. Simples.

• Advertisement

How is New Hampshire these days?

Are you there trying to end the occupation and give the land back to the locals?

sorry spread like many a irishman,your heart is in ireland,but you would not want to live there , now me my heart is in england,but i would like to live in ireland

Are you there trying to end the occupation and give the land back to the locals?
    fred i think its called new england,but i am sure spread will change that.

Secondly, the under the GFA, the people of Ireland voted to renounce our territorial claims to the North.
    Technically the claims were only removed from the constutition. Nothing was renounced. ;) Ah politics.

I take it you missed my earlier post about how these things get started. The loyalists and british were turning the screws as hard as they could on the nationalist community for many decades. Suddenly it blows up in their faces and we have weeping and wailing.

Firstly, what's that got to do with the point I made. I'll give you a clue:
    nothing

Secondly, the under the GFA, the people of Ireland voted to renounce our territorial claims to the North. The majority in the North wish to remain part of the United Kingdom. Hence, logically, the British Army cannot be considered an army of occupation in the North, an internationally recognised constituent part of the UK. Simples.

A bit like the voting in Islas Malvinas or Gibralter. If 100,000 French people were planted in the Isle of Wight and given a vote .......... they would vote to be part of France. Do you not understand the word gerrymandering?

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    It is difficult for me to envision the kind of mindset that can equate UN votes to things like Operation Ajax.

Terrorism is the wage of empire, old boy. If you don't like it, do yourself a favour and stop messing with other nations. It doesn't work in these days of readily available automatic weapons and explosives.

stop trolling Doc, there's a good chap.

• Advertisement

A bit like the voting in Islas Malvinas or Gibralter. If 100,000 French people were planted in the Isle of Wight and given a vote .......... they would vote to be part of France. Do you not understand the word gerrymandering?

a bit like putting hundreds of thousands of europeans in North America and them "Claiming" the land I suppose.

You're a gem aren't you. Sat in the States (On stolen post colonial land) preaching to people in NI how noble an armed struggle is/was.

stop trolling Doc, there's a good chap.
    Do point out where I am factually wrong in any regard my dear fellow? Your country is only a short plane flight away from any number of places it has messed with in recent memory, no wonder you're all a bit jumpy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

What have the Falkland Islands and Gibraltar got to do with anything?

Gibraltar was given to the UK by Spain with the Treaty of Utrecht. The Argentinians gave up any claim on the Falklands in the Arana-Southern Treaty.

Arguing anything else is equivalent to saying that all these "invaders" in America should lose their vote and give the country back to the Native Americans - it isn't going to happen.

people in the 16th and 17th century did not have a vote, gibralter only had a few fishermen on when sold to britain in return for a med ireland and a part of florida,and was then settled by people from malta, falklands only had one native settler and never belonged to argentina,all alot different from northern ireland

Today warm and breezy

No. Enough casinos already :)
    sorry spread like many a irishman,your heart is in ireland,but you would not want to live there , now me my heart is in england,but i would like to live in ireland

Christ getz .......... you're only a heartbeat away. Why not catch a ferry or Speke (JL) airport. But if you meet up with Fratton Fred in a pub - button it or speak in Cornish/Manx :D
    fred i think its called new england,but i am sure spread will change that.

No need to. I hope you realise why the Founding Fathers came here? A kind of Middle Ages terrorism. Incidently, Portsmouth is just a few hours away and Dublin is about 45 mins

• Advertisement
Advertisement