Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mother anger at IRA medals given by GAA

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Censorship

She's silly to be angry, the IRA were some of the most honorable men in history. The British Brainwashing Channel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

So you can't back up your allegation then?

It wasn't an allegation Fred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

summerskin wrote: »

You want anti-Irish? Here goes...

Whinging moaning pathetic individuals who cling to the past as they have no future. Pathetic specimens in a tiny country that Europe wishes never existed and the rest only remember on paddy's day

I know you meant it as an insult but I laughed. Well worded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Why dont we ever hear the likes of you giving out about what happened the likes of Julie Livingstone?

What happened those kids was terrible, and shouldnt have happened.
    I have no problem conbeming without any equivocation the murder of Julie Livingstone, but unlike you I condem both sides equally , I dont seek to excuse one side or attempt to justify their murderous actions, in this thread I have already condemed the SAS,UVF etc, while you have saught to glorify and excuse the murderers of the ira.
    BTW what happened those kids was calculated and cold blooded murder, those who murdered them are no better than Huntley,Hindley, and Brady.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Censorship wrote: »
    She's silly to be angry, the IRA were some of the most honorable men in history. The British Brainwashing Channel.

And here's an example of the other side of the idiocy coin.

• Advertisement

karma_ wrote: »
    And here's an example of the other side of the idiocy coin.

Defending your country is not idiocy, it is your duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

If you want to talk about children being murdered, thats the foundation upon which "Northern Ireland" was built on, most notorious being the time a bomb was lobbed into a group of catholic school kids killing 4 heinously wounding many others... While unionists cheerleadered loyalists actions.

Those kids don't seem to matter though, because only the IRA ever killed innocent people.

The fact that the "other side" did it doesn't make it ok, before tries accusing me of saying that. We should just be happy that a semblance of peace has been reached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

as they sit at home watching British tv( as some have complained about British tv covering their army, only way they would know this is by watching British channels).

What's wrong with watching British TV? Fantastic documentaries and excellent comedy.

Strange comment to make.

Btw the only reference I've ever made to '800 years of' was here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

hondasam wrote: »

You want anti-Irish? Here goes...

Whinging moaning pathetic individuals who cling to the past as they have no future. Pathetic specimens in a tiny country that Europe wishes never existed and the rest only remember on paddy's day

I know you meant it as an insult but I laughed. Well worded.

I'm a man of wholly Irish blood who was born and raised in England. I'm just sick of the bile spouted on here by children who wear Celtic shirts and think they are freedom fighters in the making.

I spent 30+ years wanting a united Ireland . Until I lived here in the country of my father and mother's birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

gurramok wrote: »
    Your army slaughtered unarmed innocent Irish kids in the early 70's and 80's in your name, forgetful are we?
    My Army? I.m Irish, born in Dublin, live in Dublin.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I'm a man of wholly Irish blood who was born and raised in England. I'm just sick of the bile spouted on here by children who wear Celtic shirts and think they are freedom fighters in the making.

I spent 30+ years wanting a united Ireland . Until I lived here in the country of my father and mother's birth.

I remember reading one of your posts.

You said that your Father was smart enough to leave Northern Ireland before the Troubles erupted. You also said that any Catholic that stayed was pretty much an idiot fighting a lost cause.

I guess us Nationalists should've just faced the corner and kept our heads down! :rolleyes:

Read through my previous posts (There aren't many) and try to find a single post where I spouted vile nonsense about the British people when I was discussing the Troubles. I'll make sure to remember what you wrote in your previous post whenever I see you appearing in any other threads claiming to be a non-partisan. ;)

You'd want to expand you gaze a little there fella and stop embarrassing yourself by constructing caricatures of people's views.

I've never worn a Celtic Jersey.
    I prefer rugby union to soccer.
    I don't really care all that much about a united Ireland - equality is all most Catholics wanted and I'm happy as long as they are heading in that direction.
    I think British TV can be excellent and enjoy watching it.
    If I had to choose another country to live in I'd probably choose England because I think that's were I'd feel most comfortable and welcome.
    I condemn the killing of all civilians but wouldn't be so idiotic as to think it won't happen in the event of a conflict.

Ya see some people can have a slightly more sophisticated view of the world than your ridiculous prejudices try to paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Censorship wrote: »
    Defending your country is not idiocy, it is your duty.

there is and never will be, anything honourable about killing innocent people, no matter what you ate fighting for.

there is and never will be, anything honourable about killing innocent people, no matter what you ate fighting for.

I agree, well said Fred.

Absolutely. So it's better to avoid conflict in the first place because civilians always bear the brunt.

The burden of proof lies with those who choose to engage in violence and conflict - it's just a pity that we can't apply that principle more evenly when it comes to conflict and then we'd have a hell of a lot less ghosts circling the earth wondering why we continue to screw up so much and so often.

And with that - I'm out.

I guess we'll keep quiet about the RAF bombing directive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

good old Doc, so full of pent up anger towards the Brits.
    Nothing pent up about it, I have no difficulty displaying anger towards jingoistic idiots with a hate-on for the Irish. Of course most british people don't fit that bill, but you keep popping up in these threads for some reason.
    Is it jealousy, or just plain begrudgery.
    Ah now fred we've been down this road before. Do I need to remind you of the binge drinking, fast food gorging, street fighting, drug abusing, cigarette horsing utopia you people have managed to develop as a homeland? Sounds like a very happy place to be, if that's your sort of thing.
    Methinks the lady doth protest too much.
    Meow!

So basically no, you can find nothing false about what I say. Which is no surprise really since I actually know what I'm talking about, so I don't need to resort to cross dressing slanders, although that is a staple of great british humour, funnily enough (about the only thing funny about it).

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Nothing pent up about it, I have no difficulty displaying anger towards jingoistic idiots with a hate-on for the Irish. Of course most british people don't fit that bill, but you keep popping up in these threads for some reason.

Ah now fred we've been down this road before. Do I need to remind you of the binge drinking, fast food gorging, street fighting, drug abusing, cigarette horsing utopia you people have managed to develop as a homeland? Sounds like a very happy place to be, if that's your sort of thing.

Meow!

So basically no, you can find nothing false about what I say. Which is no surprise really since I actually know what I'm talking about, so I don't need to resort to cross dressing slanders, although that is a staple of great british humour, funnily enough (about the only thing funny about it).

denial honey is not a river in Egypt.

Whinging moaning pathetic individuals who cling to the past as they have no future. Pathetic specimens in a tiny country that Europe wishes never existed and the rest only remember on paddy's day so that they can copy and get drunk and useless too. Ireland is known for two things: Guinness and terrorism. People everywhere drink "Irish car bombs". Funnily only in Ireland will someone know what you want if you order a "black and tan". Oh and of course you're welcome all over the world, as events in Australia have proven recently.
    Kick you out of stormfront did they?

denial honey is not a river in Egypt.
    Unusually, the great british geography education system appears not to have failed you here.

• Advertisement

btw, did you know that Dublin was one of europe's largest slave trading centres in the 9th century?
    Well I guess the vikings had to do something with the native population after they invaded.

Well I guess the vikings had to do sell the native population something after they invaded.

FYP.

FYP.
    And back to business as usual, the great british grammar education system appears to have failed you here.

I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say, you're holding Irish people responsible for slave markets set up, run and operated by Vikings 1300 years ago, a people whose main profits came from slavery, these very Vikings that were drawn to Ireland in the first place by the wealth and culture of Irish monasteries, that same church that was vehemently against slavery? Or are you saying the monasteries swapped their gold chalices to peace loving Vikings in a welter of greed at owning slaves.

Just how deep does this rabbit hole go. Mysterious company indeed.

And back to business as usual, the great british grammar education system appears to have failed you here.

I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say, you're holding Irish people responsible for slave markets set up, run and operated by Vikings 1300 years ago, a people whose main profits came from slavery, these very Vikings that were drawn to Ireland in the first place by the wealth and culture of Irish monasteries, that same church that was vehemently against slavery? Or are you saying the monasteries swapped their gold chalices to peace loving Vikings in a welter of greed at owning slaves.

Just how deep does this rabbit hole go. Mysterious company indeed.

Who knows. I visited the Dublinia exhibition and I thought it was an interesting snippet.

Slavery was rife all across Europe in those days (indeed the whole world). Ireland was no different, but I was surprised the Vikings had set up a big slave market here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I remember reading one of your posts.

You said that your Father was smart enough to leave Northern Ireland before the Troubles erupted. You also said that any Catholic that stayed was pretty much an idiot fighting a lost cause.

I guess us Nationalists should've just faced the corner and kept our heads down! :rolleyes:

Ah to be fair it must be tough to grow up knowing that yer old man's a coward, ye'll find some way to justify it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭nua domhan

Hmm, don't remember the formal declaration of war from the recognized government of any country.

There hasn't been a formal declaration of war from the USA and UK since world war 2. But being the intelligent person you are maggy - you'd know that already. Wouldn't you?? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wow, big deal.

"Terrorist" my arse. The "terrorists" were the scum who executed him as he lay wounded on the ground

"They were both armed with guns, wearing gloves and balaclavas and were approaching soldiers who believed that their lives were in immediate danger."

During the case, their barrister said that the families accepted that that both men had been on what was described as 'active service' for the IRA and were therefore liable to arrest"

What would you do if you were in some sort of law enforcment and guys in balaclavas carrying AK47's started walkign towards you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

..........................................................................................................

Little man syndrome. Greater Manchester is bigger than Ireland.

Go on ....... finish off the sentence ...... Greater Manchester is bigger than Ireland and, has a far greater prison population (Strangeways excluded), has far more racial tension, almost as much unemployment and is ignored by the legislators in London. Thatcher allowed the football hooligans to go ape on Saturdays 'cause it stopped the feeble minded from rioting against a government that was hell bent on closing down their industries. But one industry that is doing well there is the production of Ecstasy and C Meth. That is something to be really proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

What would you do if you were in some sort of law enforcment and guys in balaclavas carrying AK47's started walkign towards you?

Arrest them? Ya know, shout a warning to drop your weapons and surrender. Its quite common for that procedure in the modern world but hey our friends decided to shoot them dead on the spot creating yet more martyrs and fuelling the violence for longer.

• Advertisement

Arrest them? Ya know, shout a warning to drop your weapons and surrender. Its quite common for that procedure in the modern world but hey our friends decided to shoot them dead on the spot creating yet more martyrs and fuelling the violence for longer.

Your willing to gamble with your own life are you? Fair play. I'm not.

Why would lads with Balaclavas on, carrying illegally held AK47's start walking towards armed SAS men? Did they have the guns above their heads in surrender? Why didnt they drop them?
    If they shot them without warnign how did they have time to walk towards them?

Why would lads with Balaclavas on, carrying illegally held AK47's start walking towards armed SAS men? Did they have the guns above their heads in surrender? Why didnt they drop them?
    If they shot them without warnign how did they have time to walk towards them?
    That reveals how much you know about what happened.

Read up, then comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

How do you know that the IRA men knew there were SAS men there and why do you trust the word of the SAS?

For anyone to surrender, you need to shout that warning to them or there would be a shootout. In this case they were shot dead while on the ground.
    The deaths caused controversy in Northern Ireland prompting allegations of a "shoot to kill" policy, when it was revealed that neither of them had fired a shot during the incident, prompting claims that the SAS had opened fire on the men without making any attempt to arrest them.
    During the case, their barrister said that the families accepted that that both men had been on what was described as 'active service' for the IRA and were therefore liable to arrest.

However, they argued that the shooting of the two men as they lay dying on the ground was evidence of a shoot-to-kill policy.

They could of been arrested instead of creating martyrs hence helping further recruitment to the militant cause.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

What did the runners ups get? Osama bin laden medals?
    lol. Or maybe medals of Real IRA men who blew up civilians in Omagh?
    Given the GAA is involved is not condemning the handout of such medals to boys at such an impressionable young age, its the duty of every law abiding parent to refuse to let their young sons take part in football matches to win political medals...and be part of an organisation where terrorists are glorified.
    I thought the GAA was starting to leave politics behind.
    Forget the gaa, cheer on the lads in green and support soccer instead. No terrorist connections there.

Why would lads with Balaclavas on, carrying illegally held AK47's start walking towards armed SAS men?

The cowards with the AK47's usually sneaked up behind a retired or an off duty part-time serviceman before killing him, or put a bomb under his family car, so they did not expect to be treated as they treated others. Well done to the SAS. Our security services here in the republic have on occassion shot dead armed republicans on occassion too.

How do you know that the IRA men knew there were SAS men there and why do you trust the word of the SAS?

How do you know they didnt know they were the SAS and why do you trust the word of lads heading off to bomb somewhere/kill someone (hence the AK47's) / a robbery etc and their friends/family/supporters?

For anyone to surrender, you need to shout that warning to them or there would be a shootout. In this case they were shot dead while on the ground.

They could of been arrested instead of creating martyrs hence helping further recruitment to the militant cause.

If you and me are in a room and your best friend goes and talks to someone else about us being in the room, despite hearing nothing and just peering through the keyhole, how reliable is that? Is it likely to be wieghted in your favour and if they talk to the papers thats then "prompting calls" I did X to you. I doubt theres any shortage of allegations or wrongdoing by the British forces from the supporters of IRA members in every case of one of them being killed, lawfully or otherwise. Doesnt make it true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

true wrote: »
    The cowards with the AK47's usually sneaked up behind a retired or an off duty part-time serviceman before killing him, or put a bomb under his family car, so they did not expect to be treated as they treated others. Well done to the SAS. Our security services here in the republic have on occassion shot dead armed republicans on occassion too.

Have you ever thought that if the soldiers were not on the island of Ireland or their stool pigeons didn't prostitute their labour they would not get shot? It's a kinda simple.
    Nobody likes an army of occupation ......... or their cohorts - except people like you and your ilk. That's why traitors get shot.

We can expect plenty of anecdotal evidence and conjecture from our friend True.

Last time I seen you on a thread, I had taken the time to post countless links and Primary Sources to refute your pretty baseless claims - even quoted specific paragraphs so you didn't have to open the PDFs.

Never got a response though. Not even an acknowledgement.

Spread wrote: »
    Have you ever thought that if the soldiers were not on the island of Ireland or their stool pigeons didn't prostitute their labour they would not get shot? It's a kinda simple.
    Nobody likes an army of occupation ......... or their cohorts - except people like you and your ilk. That's why traitors get shot.

He's allowed to have his own views. Although the burden is on him to justify them.

so Garda mcCabe in Limerick was right to be shot? charming
    Last time I seen you on a thread, I had taken the time to post countless links and Primary Sources to refute your pretty baseless claims - even quoted specific paragraphs so you didn't have to open the PDFs.

Never got a response though. Not even an acknowledgement.

rubbish

Your lineage can be traced right back to the original , peace lovign quaint Irish folk that found themselves dropped on the Island by the hand of god himself once those pesky dinosaurs wandered off, yeah?

Or is it ok to turn up, displace people and have a few wars as long as it was long enough ago?

• Advertisement

Your lineage can be traced right back to the original , peace lovign quaint Irish folk that found themselves dropped on the Island by the hand of god himself once those pesky dinosaurs wandered off, yeah?

Or is it ok to turn up, displace people and have a few wars as long as it was long enough ago?
    Actually much of the west of Ireland are directly descended from the first people who moved here after the ice age.

Even if you don't buy that, the level of dickery that continues in the north today can be linked right back to the plantations, so not sure what your point is.

Even if you don't buy that, the level of dickery that continues in the north today can be linked right back to the plantations

it can be traced righ back much further than that, as the first settlers in Ireland almost certainly came from the British mainland : N. Ireland can be seen from Scotland on a fine day, and it was a relatively easy journey to make as they could see the destination before setting out.

It was a lot easier journey than the Spanish , with their armada. Pity the poor Spanish sailors being slaughtered by the native Irish as they scrambled half - drowned up beaches along the western seaboard. The Spanish plantations worked better in other countries;)

rubbish

This thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056644020

You were spouting the most inane and baseless rubbish. Your sources pretty much amounted to choice selections of Wikipedia and what I gather were anecdotes about your time crossing the border. The only time you actually used any figures to back up your allegations, they happened to be incorrect.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78880858&postcount=392
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78879404&postcount=387

You also alluded to Nationalist brainwashing in the Catholic Education system. No sources, just ramblings.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78807791&postcount=237

awec wrote: »
    Would the IRA men in question have afforded the soldiers this chance to surrender had the roles been reversed?

+1, good point. When the role was reversed and years earlier when a suspected SAS man was captured, was he not tortured before being killed and disappeared, so that his family had not even his body for a Christian burial?

The "heroes" in the terrorist organisation depicted on the gaa medals bombed men women and children...is that not a great lesson in morality to be giving to young sportspeople?

This thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056644020

You were spouting the most inane and baseless rubbish. Your sources pretty much amounted to choice selections of Wikipedia and what I gather were anecdotes about your time crossing the border. The only time you actually used any figures to back up your allegations, they happened to be incorrect.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78880858&postcount=392
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78879404&postcount=387

You also alluded to Nationalist brainwashing in the Catholic Education system. No sources, just ramblings.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78807791&postcount=237
    I had forgotton that that was him, the UDR fan. Won't be wasting time with him so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

awec wrote: »
    Would the IRA men in question have afforded the soldiers this chance to surrender had the roles been reversed?

No but I'd have problems with the possible shoot to kill aspect of it. The club obviously feels it has a link to the guy as former player.

Aidan McAnespie is commemorated by his GAA club and others,some people will moan about that and regard it as political.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

if a different sporting club gave out medals of osama Bin Laden, or of some UVF killer, how would you view that?

if a different sporting club gave out medals of osama Bin Laden, or of some UVF killer, how would you view that?

This has been raised countless time, true.

Just scan the thread and you'll find your answer.

This has been raised countless time, true.

Just scan the thread and you'll find your answer.

but you still have not answered properly.

As someone else said, when "we" do it somehow it's all ok. The GAA need to wise up on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If the UVF killer was a member of the soccer club and played for them I'd have to put up with it though see it as ill advised.

I think this is ill advised and it probably is better if the club learns from it. I'd have no problem with a medal commemorating Aidan McAnespie.

Then again I understand how significant the GAA is in the 6 counties and they've a tough task ahead of them with things like this.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement