Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I know I can cheat, should I?

• 05-06-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Controversial question but I thought I should bring it up; no doubt people will be doing it for this following couple of weeks.

I was talking to a friend who did their LC last year. He said he told nobody, just wrote key essay points on his leg and went to the toilet midway through the exam to top up on information.

I know it's unfair on other people. But how about those people who had no choice about doing subjects they hate? What about the people who simply don't excel at all in language intelligence but were forced into doing 3 languages? Or doing a subject they hate.

Personally; I would never dream about cheating in subjects I love, like Mathematics, Physics or Chemistry. But stuff like Art history and appreciation; I'm not quite sure.

I'm all for cheating in some circumstances. Let's just say; a friend of a friend loves sciences and mathematics; they want to do it in university because of that reason and go on to teach it. But; because of the way the system is, this friend of a friend will have to do well in Art; which involves memorizing a fair few 5 page essays for no productive reason other than the exam. Or they are good with logic but struggle at ordinary level French. What about these people; who would inevitably make amazing enthusiastic teachers but can't go to college because of some lack of one specific form of intelligence.

I just think it's not fair. I think that the current system completely takes a dump on people who specialize in 1 or 2 subjects and can possibly offer so much to the world but they're held back by the 6 subject scheme.

This friend of a friend only wants to do good in the world. They just want to go on to help people understand things to an efficient level where unenthusiastic teachers have failed in the past. He/she doesn't care about wealth as much as they do understanding but the only way into college is either doing well in everything; or having money in the first place.

Thoughts? Should this friend of a friend cheat in certain subjects just so they can go on to be a great teacher in those he/she excels at?

Note: This is not the conventional 'cheating' just for the sake of it or for good grades. This is something that was clearly thought out and considered to be for the good of others in the long run; not just me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Hell no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

no

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

Togepi wrote: »
    Hell no.

This was posted about 30 seconds after I posted.

I don't believe you took the thread seriously or even read it.

Please post more productively if anything, if you're going to post on this thread again.

I consider the above spam; you didn't read the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

It's pointless anyway. Surely if you're writing down key points on your leg you're not going to forget them like :pac:

And you're doing an injustice to all other leaving cert students around you, who have put hours of work to get the grades they want. That, in my opinion, is utterly disgraceful. Not only are you deceiving the examiner, but yourself.

(This also goes for the "friend of a friend")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

No. It would be unfair for all us else who won't be cheating.

Please don't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

This friend of a friend should stop trying to justify his cheating on a 'broken system' and bluntly state that they are cheating because they didn't put the work in. If someone said that then I'd lose no respect for them.

An0n wrote: »
    This was posted about 30 seconds after I posted.

I don't believe you took the thread seriously or even read it.

Please post more productively if anything, if you're going to post on this thread again.

I consider the above spam; you didn't read the thread.

I posted that as my immediate response to the title. I then read through your post realised there was more to it than what was mentioned in the title. I had the option of editing my post but I decided not to - my opinion hasn't altered. I don't really think there's any good reason for cheating, no matter what you say you have to admit that it's unfair on others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Don't bother cheating. All it will do is undermine in your own head, the results you get. You had plenty of tim e to get the work done. We've all been screwed by the points system, it's not fair but it's equally not fair to everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

You're not the only one who thinks the system is sh!t, so do I. But I'm not going to cheat, and if I found out someone got a course over me because they cheated... Well there'd be a few congratulatory slaps! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

dude take down this post in case trouble has. You never know who could be looking at this (SEC). I know its frustrating but its only two weeks and do what you think you have to do. Just try your best and besides if you want to do teaching you can always do arts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

You're the friend of a friend!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

paddzdaman wrote: »
    dude take down this post in case trouble has. You never know who could be looking at this (SEC).

Not much they could do? Even if they thought they had a name they're hardly going to make him strip and check his knob for ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beware

It's true - it is possible to think of certain situations where you wouldn't STRONGLY disapprove of someone cheating, but at the end of the day, nobody should cheat.

Firstly, there is the obvious possibility you'll be caught. I don't need to explain this - everyone knows if you're caught, you're royally f*****.

But the reason why I would not recommend cheating is because you could cost someone their course, and they might have done their very best to honestly pass the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

Odds are nobody will strip search and you and will not get caught, but that is no reason to cheat. The exams did not just come out of the blue you had the same time as everyone else to prepare. Did you gain any respect for this friend of a friend when you found out they were a cheat. Why would you not dream about cheating in some subjects and think about cheating in others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

It's a fact that people will cheat. Many people. It's so easy to cheat that's it's almost a shame not to. I know a ton of lads who intend on cheating so what?

Put your head down, keep moving forward. If you studied hard you'll get what you deserve. If you cheat.. Karma..

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Note: This is not the conventional 'cheating' just for the sake of it or for good grades. This is something that was clearly thought out and considered to be for the good of others in the long run; not just me.

Wow.. The absolute hubris of this post. There is no altruism scribbling cheats onto your fat, sweaty thighs - Don't pretend you would cheat for anyone else's benefit but your own.

Besides, I doubt someone who has to cheat to get into a course would o on to help others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

'I don't like the subject' isn't an excuse for cheating tbh. I wouldn't care if it was the pres or a summer test in all honesty, but if you cheat (successfully) in the LC you could adversely affect others who actually bothered to work...

Wow.. The absolute hubris of this post. There is no altruism scribbling cheats onto your fat, sweaty thighs - Don't pretend you would cheat for anyone else's benefit but your own.

Besides, I doubt someone who has to cheat to get into a course would o on to help others.

Someone's jealous of my thunda thighs.

MY MILKSHAKE BRINGS ALL THE GIRLS TO THE YARD.

(Yeah, we can all be insolent idiots.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

None of us like learning 7 subjects, but its just something everyone has to deal with. Not everyone needs to cheat their way out of it and it shows a bad work ethic imo.

Personally if I cheated I'd be terrified while writing and would probably end up doing worse. :L

Namlub wrote: »
    'I don't like the subject' isn't an excuse for cheating tbh. I wouldn't care if it was the pres or a summer test in all honesty, but if you cheat (successfully) in the LC you could adversely affect others who actually bothered to work...

Again, more people who didn't read the post and change my words to fit their own argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

I wouldn't cheat if there is even a 1% chance of getting caught!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

If you haven't studied then why do you deserve to pass?

Again, more people who didn't read the post and change my words to fit their own argument.

I've already told you I read the post. I would say Namlub did too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

It's the Leaving Cert forum. The day before the first exam. Do you actually expect people to be sympathetic and agree with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

I'd rather fail than cheat tbh

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    I'd rather fail than cheat tbh

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

A friend of a friend cheated for the junior cert. He wrote a lot of maths solutions down on a few pieces of paper and hid them behind the cistern in the toilets.... he got a B.

I do believe that in some cases cheating is acceptable yet morally it is not.... if your friend of a friend believes in spirituality then your friend of a friend could be in for some bad karma man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

No. Never.

If you do cheat, I'd love to see you caught to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think it's time to close this thread.
    All it is doing is drawing attention from lazy journos and the SEC.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement