Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom BB service issues.

Options
  • 05-06-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi

Please help... I have a 3MB eircom BB package, living in the sticks I'm happy to get a 2Mb connection and have had this for the past 12 months with the odd outage which has been quickly sorted.

However recently I have experienced problems with the service constantly dropping out and reconnecting at much slower speeds. Sometimes only 200 kbps down.

I have reported this fault twice and have had engineers out on both occasions, the last time the told me that there was nothing he could do and i would have to live with it as I probably should not have it by rights.

He said that there were no faults on the line or at the exchange or indeed with my wiring or router.

How can the service have degraded overnight and there be no come back on this?

Can you please investigate for me and hopefully offer as solution?

I am not getting the service that I am paying for and at this stage feel I have no option but to move providers.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Crumble wrote: »
    Hi

Please help... I have a 3MB eircom BB package, living in the sticks I'm happy to get a 2Mb connection and have had this for the past 12 months with the odd outage which has been quickly sorted.

However recently I have experienced problems with the service constantly dropping out and reconnecting at much slower speeds. Sometimes only 200 kbps down.

I have reported this fault twice and have had engineers out on both occasions, the last time the told me that there was nothing he could do and i would have to live with it as I probably should not have it by rights.

He said that there were no faults on the line or at the exchange or indeed with my wiring or router.

How can the service have degraded overnight and there be no come back on this?

Can you please investigate for me and hopefully offer as solution?

I am not getting the service that I am paying for and at this stage feel I have no option but to move providers.

Thanks.

Hi Crumble,

From what you say above it seems that you may be on an 'extended-reach' line. I can't confirm this until you send the account number but this would at least partly explain the slow speed. As you said though, there may be a specific reason for the service degrading. Hopefully can do something to improve it for you. PM me the account number or phone number and I'll have a look through the case history.

Thanks

James

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Crumble

Hi Crumble,

From what you say above it seems that you may be on an 'extended-reach' line. I can't confirm this until you send the account number but this would at least partly explain the slow speed. As you said though, there may be a specific reason for the service degrading. Hopefully can do something to improve it for you. PM me the account number or phone number and I'll have a look through the case history.

Thanks

James

James, thanks i have sent you my number in a PM.

James, thanks i have sent you my number in a PM.

Hi again,

Got your PM, thanks for that. I have tested the line and broadband signal and it seems there may be a minor fault on the line. The thing is, with a minor fault it can be some faulty equipment within the house somewhere. Can you try this checklist from our own forum as this would rule out the most common causes of a minor fault. Once you have completed these checks it would be quickest to call support directly (if calling over the weekend) on 1890 260 260 as they open until 10pm, 7 days. If you prefer, leave a note here and I'll test it again on Monday. Once you have done this either ourselves or tech support can escalate to the engineers.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Crumble

James,

only thing plugged in is / was a regular home phone... my filter is an eircom wall socket with filter built in.

I unplugged the phone and still no joy, it was down when i got up this morning and then eventually connected but at a very slow (sub 300k) speed.

I restarted the router just now and it reconnected at 1056 but not likely to stay connected at that speed for long.

Please check again ( I will leave the home phone unplugged ).

Cheers.

Hi again,

Got your PM, thanks for that. I have tested the line and broadband signal and it seems there may be a minor fault on the line. The thing is, with a minor fault it can be some faulty equipment within the house somewhere. Can you try this checklist from our own forum as this would rule out the most common causes of a minor fault. Once you have completed these checks it would be quickest to call support directly (if calling over the weekend) on 1890 260 260 as they open until 10pm, 7 days. If you prefer, leave a note here and I'll test it again on Monday. Once you have done this either ourselves or tech support can escalate to the engineers.

Regards

James

James,

only thing plugged in is / was a regular home phone... my filter is an eircom wall socket with filter built in.

I unplugged the phone and still no joy, it was down when i got up this morning and then eventually connected but at a very slow (sub 300k) speed.

I restarted the router just now and it reconnected at 1056 but not likely to stay connected at that speed for long.

Please check again ( I will leave the home phone unplugged ).

Cheers.

Hi Crumble,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Whatever changes you have made on your end have resulted in the fault no longer showing on the line. The connection has been solid on our radius servers for a continuous 12 hours. The fact that you are on an 'extended-reach' line (outside the normal catchment area for broadband) means that unfortunately going above 2mb will most likely not happen. I wish I could deliver better news on our side but it seems the problem is an actual physical restriction so remote profile changes won't fix it for you. I can only recommend calling directly to support at this stage as further troubleshooting here would take a long time. Over the phone they can do it 'live' and get any changes made while you are on the phone. They may be able to at least stabilise the speed for you.

One thing I did notice though after logging into the modem remotely is that the wireless security seems to be disabled and I see a list of 8 different mac addresses connected. I would strongly advise enabling wireless security (unless you have something else like mac address filtering in place). These devices I'm seeing may well belong to people in the house but would all be connecting automatically as there is no password. This would definitely cause problems as there are 8 WiFi and one Ethernet device on my list so you are effectively dividing the speed by 9 and if any of those devices are updating apps/downloading updates/torrents/etc then this would further reduce the speed. Check this out on your end and let me know.

Thanks

James

• Advertisement
Advertisement