Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swift Scope Focusing Issue

Options
  • 05-06-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I have a Swift Reliant 3-9x40 on my .17hmr. It's a fine scope but recently I've noticed it getting a little blurry at 8 to 9 times zoom... It's fine from 3 up to 7 ish.

I have no manual as it came 2nd hand on the rifle. I have a zoom dial but no obvious focus adjuster. Is there anything I can do? Does the "bezel" at the objective lens twist to focus??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Has it a side parallax or adjustable lens on the objective lens housing? If so play around with these, until you get a clear sight picture.

If it hasn't and by your description it does not, then the chances ar it has a fixed parallax setting which is usually 100 yards. Anything further, and it will only become clear on a lower mag setting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Here's my scope:
    http://www.swift-sportoptics.com/rscopes_reliant.html

Appears to be set to 100.... The scope still works fine. I shot a bunny at 252 yards the other day which is my longest kill with the .17 and I had the scope on 9x. It's just like looking through your binos while rolling the focus wheel, it looks like binos look when you're just a fraction of a turn away from perfect clarity... It's nearly there, but not quite, and it's bugging me...

Why does my Redfield not do the same? Better scope? Anyone else with a swift ecperience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

Sometimes you can unscrew the trim on the end of the scope and turn the lens in or out to get it clear.
    You might only need 1/4 of a turn to get it right.

Ezridax wrote: »
    Has it a side parallax or adjustable lens on the objective lens housing? If so play around with these, until you get a clear sight picture.

If it hasn't and by your description it does not, then the chances ar it has a fixed parallax setting which is usually 100 yards. Anything further, and it will only become clear on a lower mag setting.

There's no other adjusters on it... Are you saying that if your parallax comment (which I don't really understand :)) is true, then things beyond 100 yards will be blurry and that's just the way it's designed?

PS. If I dial my mag back just a tiny bit it all clears up perfectly. And the blurryness is noticeable when I view objects around 250 yards & beyond on max(x9) mag.

What i'm saying is some low powered scopes with no parallax adjustment have a fixed parallax setting on it. This could be form 100-150 yards. The reasons are usually for quick acquisition, and on lower power parallax is never that bad.

Any parallax can be cleared up by adjusting the power mag of the scope. So when you say that when you look at something at 250 yards on 9 power, and it's blurry, and you dial back the mag power it clears up it actually still has parallax but to such a small amount that it's almost (or completely) unnoticeable.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Bottom line, it ain't broken!?

Thanks!!

Correct

Ezridax wrote: »
    Correct

My Redfield Revolution is crystal clear at any range. I guess you get what you pay for eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

used it ever be clear?
    I never find parallax an issue under 12ish mag on the scope. I leave the parallax on 100 and the scope below 12 usually and its crystal clear at all ranges.
    when its on 16 I have to adjust the parallax to clear it up

I have two 3-9x40 scopes with fixed parallax and they are clear as you like out past 200 yards and they wouldnt be in the same league as swift scopes.

Advertisement