Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Bord Gais Bills!!!

Options
  • 05-06-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey, Just wondering what people generally pay every 2 months for there gas bills. We just got a bill for 370 Euros and they seem to be hovering oround 300 this past year or so.Is this a normal bill? It seems very high to me?Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Mine is usually around 200 but that would be in winter. That's a standard three bed. That seems huge for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

maxpowers wrote: »
    Hey, Just wondering what people generally pay every 2 months for there gas bills. We just got a bill for 370 Euros and they seem to be hovering oround 300 this past year or so.Is this a normal bill? It seems very high to me?Cheers

Was that an actual reading or an estimate. If it was an actual were the previous bills estimates and possibly way off estimates thus when you got an actual reading you had to play catch up? I call in my meter reading every two months just before the bill is issued.

I pay up to 200 euro for a bi monthly bill in a three bed house with gas heating and gas hob during October-February. The rest of the year it drops to 20-40 euro per bi monthly bill as we're not using the heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭OUTOFSYNC

I got an estimate bill for 100 euros in November - but when came to read meter - I used about 11 euro a month (most of that was the standing charge).

My electricity bills were about 50 euro a month

I had a 2 bed apartment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

OUTOFSYNC wrote: »
    I got an estimate bill for 100 euros in November - but when came to read meter - I used about 11 euro a month (most of that was the standing charge).

My electricity bills were about 50 euro a month

I had a 2 bed apartment
    That's amazing. How did you manage to keep the bills so low?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What kind of a property are you heating OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭maxpowers

its only a 2 bed apartment!!! jasysus we are paying alot more than most it seems - any adivce??? i really cannot understand it tbh - we are not there during the day really

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

3 bed semi detached largest bill from bord gais this winter was 190 for 2 months. As 2 kids are in all the time we keep constant temperature. 20,5 during day and 19.5 at night.
    last winter highest bill was 210. also same temp set at day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

how old is the apartment op? does the gas boiler also provide your hot water?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭maxpowers

the apartment is one of four split up in an old period house - but its renovated nicely. The bolier also provides our hot water. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Hi Bills are affected by
    1. Inefficient boiler - not condensing boiler unit - / or poorly serviced maintained boiler appliance.
    2. Poor Insulation in the property.
    3. Poorly insulated hot water storage tank.
    3. Metre not being read - / estimate bills.

In the first instance I'd contact Bord Gais for advice, secondly have the boiler serviced - and enquire of the service company - how effective / efficient the boiler unit is.

Mike F

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭TheCityManager

We got a €570 bi monthly bill in jan this year... 4 bed terraced.... I kid u not.. And we were being careful and no one in all day...€300 in march and 170 in may..... Madness
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    3 bed semi detached largest bill from bord gais this winter was 190 for 2 months. As 2 kids are in all the time we keep constant temperature. 20,5 during day and 19.5 at night.
    last winter highest bill was 210. also same temp set at day and night.
    I find this absolutely astonishing, ours was always over the 200 bi monthly in a 3 bed semi last winter. Gas is used for central heating only and was never on for more than a few hours a day (we also had an open fire), and the house was empty every weekend with the gas turned off completely. All bills were meter read as I submitted them myself. We are with Calor at the landlords insistence but will definately be shopping around before october.

Advertisement