Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Entitled to JSA?

• 05-06-2012 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

I have a question about whether I'm entitled to JSA or not. I hope you can help me.

I spent the last two months (April & May) looking for work abroad - in the USA for a few weeks and then in the UK. I eventually found a contract job in the UK which is due to start next month (July). But in the meantime, I'll need JSA as some sort of income.

Am I entitled to JSA since I was abroad for a few weeks? I was living off savings while I was looking for work abroad. I'm Irish if that makes a difference. I have my interview this week and I'm not sure where I stand.

Also since I now have a job in the bag, I'm not techincially "looking for work". Will this affect my claim?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

when did you start your claim, as that is when you will be paid for if you are approved......and it all depends on how many prsi contributions you have if your applying for jsb

your job wont effect your claim however once you start you need to inform the social welfare so payment isnt made for when you are working, just for the time you started your claim until you started work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

I started my claim when I arrived back in Ireland.
    I intend to inform social welfare when I start work in the UK. I won't be in Ireland to collect the dole anyway.
    your job wont effect your claim

Good to hear this. It's just that I've heard scare stories of people coming back from abroad and being denied JSA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

When applying for JSA you have to prove that you are "habitually resident" in Ireland. There are 5 conditions they look re is the link to the relevant info: at,hehttp://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_assistance_payments/residency_requirements_for_social_assistance_in_ireland.html

If you have just returned from abroad and are soon to leave the country again then they may not consider that Ireland is your centre of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

you where only abroad for a few weeks it shouldnt effect your claim, that is really only an issue if its months/years

http://www.welfare.ie/en/operationalguidelines/pages/habres.aspx

oh just seen that you started claim when you got back, however if you have enough prsi contributions and are going on jsb then it should not be an issue

Advertisement