Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i have to charge vat sellin outside the eu?

Options
  • 05-06-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭

If i sell goods outside the eu do i still have to charge vat on them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

my accountant is tellin me i have to charge it?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭MBateson

sc86 wrote: »

Check out chapter 8 of the VAT Guide on the Revenue website, they're zero rated as per that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Can you tell us something about the circumstances? There might be some reason he thinks that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

nothing really special just new car parts, had a few non eu customers asking could they buy ex vat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

nothing really special just new car parts, had a few non eu customers asking could they buy ex vat?

Are you actually physically sending the goods outside the EU?

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

If he didn't explain to you why he told you this then get a new accountant.

Your account should be educating you, not giving you yes or no answers. As the others have said shipping items outside the EU to customers outside the EU has a Zero rated VAT value, but more importantly if your accountant gives you bad advice or doesn't explain things correctly to you and you mis-interpret the advice - you are still liable for breaking the law. Ignorance isn't an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Yeah, there's definitely a bigger issue here. The first time your accountant gives you bad advice is the last chance he should get. Sack him and move on.

Advertisement