Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillwalking guide books/maps for Kerry & Connemara/Mayo

Options
  • 05-06-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi all,

First time posting in the outdoor pursuits forum, although I've found some really good info on here up to now.

Having always loved hillwalking I've recently got the climbing bug and I have to say I'm hooked! I've done Mount Brandon, Galteemore, Croagh Patrick, Croaghaun (Achill) and a few smaller ones like the Diamond in the last few months.

I'm looking to stock up on the best maps and books for the likes of the McGillicuddy Reeks and The Twelve Bens, Maamturks, Mweelrea, Ben Gorm etc in the NW. I realise that most of these are a lot more advanced, so I want to be prepared and do my research.

I'm thinking Jim Ryans book and the Superwalker map for Kerry, and Paul Phelan's Connemara & Mayo walking guide and the Connemara Superwalker, with maybe Paddy Dillon's Mountains of Ireland book as well. What do people think? Would I be pretty much covered with these? Are there better out there? One of the problems is that the Mayo mountains aren't covered in the Harvey Superwalker as far as I can see.

All recommendations/opinions much appeciated.

Comments

Inkyhead wrote: »
    I'm thinking Jim Ryans book and the Superwalker map for Kerry

Both great, but both only cover the Reeks, think map takes in Mangerton.

You'll miss the great treks on the Dunkerrons, Cahas, around Glenbeigh, Brandon and all others going back that peninsula. Try Adrian Hendroffs guide to 'the Dingle, Iveragh and Beara Peninsulas'. And for a personal memoir, try Merseys 'the Hills of Cork and Kerry'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Paddy's books are great. If you go onto a well known UK outdoors website he posts there and is very helpfull with any questions the books don't cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Hi all,

First time posting in the outdoor pursuits forum, although I've found some really good info on here up to now.

Having always loved hillwalking I've recently got the climbing bug and I have to say I'm hooked! I've done Mount Brandon, Galteemore, Croagh Patrick, Croaghaun (Achill) and a few smaller ones like the Diamond in the last few months.

I'm looking to stock up on the best maps and books for the likes of the McGillicuddy Reeks and The Twelve Bens, Maamturks, Mweelrea, Ben Gorm etc in the NW. I realise that most of these are a lot more advanced, so I want to be prepared and do my research.

I'm thinking Jim Ryans book and the Superwalker map for Kerry, and Paul Phelan's Connemara & Mayo walking guide and the Connemara Superwalker, with maybe Paddy Dillon's Mountains of Ireland book as well. What do people think? Would I be pretty much covered with these? Are there better out there? One of the problems is that the Mayo mountains aren't covered in the Harvey Superwalker as far as I can see.

All recommendations/opinions much appeciated.

got Paul Phelan's Connemara & Mayo book and its very good, have a look on everytrail aswell for hikes in connermara, the Galway hiking club have posted alot of routes there aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Inkyhead

That's great lads, thanks a mil. Gonna go for the Paddy Dillon, Paul Phelan and Adrian Hendroff books, they all seem very good. They'll be well handy. Up to this point I've been printing directions from mountainviews.ie

Just wondering the best maps to go for though? I presume the books on their own wouldn't do, or would they (excuse my ignorance). Would ye recommend getting my hands on the two Harvey Superwalker ones? As I said the only problem would be that they don't cover Mayo, unless I'm wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

That's great lads, thanks a mil. Gonna go for the Paddy Dillon, Paul Phelan and Adrian Hendroff books, they all seem very good. They'll be well handy. Up to this point I've been printing directions from mountainviews.ie

Just wondering the best maps to go for though? I presume the books on their own wouldn't do, or would they (excuse my ignorance). Would ye recommend getting my hands on the two Harvey Superwalker ones? As I said the only problem would be that they don't cover Mayo, unless I'm wrong

yep the two Harvey Superwalker ones, and osi for mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

Can second Jim Ryan's excellent book.

I also love Paddy Dillon's 'Mountains of Ireland'. Pretty much the encyclopedia of Ireland's Mountains. Have set myself a personal (long-term) goal of climbing every mountain in the book - have nearly a quarter of them done to date.

Advertisement