Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft - Credit Card Fraud

Options
  • 05-06-2012 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just hoping you may be able to help me. Basically my Dad is elderly and at home this evening got a call from Microsoft about anti-virus help and solutions, basically it's a scam, and they got €400 from his visa credit card.

I still can't believe he fell for this, but anyway, just wondering if there is any way of cancelling/reversing the payment. He has cancelled his credit card already, but will he be able to claim back from the credit card company seeing as its fraud?

Surely there must be a way of reversing the payment???

Any help appreciated,

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can contact the card issuer, and they may be able to make a claim back for the amount in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

Offering a useless service isn't necessarily fraud so your father may not be able to get his money back. The card issuer will be able to advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It was most likely someone pretending to be from Microsoft which would make it fraud. Microsoft don't cold call people looking for €400. Ring the bank and cancel the card asap then see if you can initiate a chargeback or insurance claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Note also that only he will be able to talk to the card issuer. They are extremely snotty about talking to any third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

Note also that only he will be able to talk to the card issuer. They are extremely snotty about talking to any third party.

For "snotty" read 'data protection requirements'. How would you react if your bank discussed your account with someone claiming to be your son / daughter / mother / father? GET REAL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Snotty? If my bank gave any of my details to a third party it would be the last I would deal with them.

Advertisement