Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weirs Pub in Dun Laoghaire being sold off.........again.

Options
  • 05-06-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭

I am surprised that this pub is going under the hammer once again. I have been in that pub very regularly for a months now. The staff are very nice in there though.

http://www.auction.co.uk/irish/LotDetails.asp?A=780&MP=24&ID=780000020&S=C&O=A

There are big problems IMO in where the management cannot provide a lot of experience to make it a success. It is not their fault as the pub in George's Street has a lot of passing trade due to that street only having one lane of traffic.

The usual customers are mainly locals; but there isn't much life in the pub at all. The best it can go in most occasions either at match days or other functions which is usually upstairs is at half capacity.

When my mum and I are going in there; the service there is very long. At times; both of us could wait for about 25 to 30 minutes for our food. Which I feel is hugely disappointing. The prices for the food are probably is around the average IMO.

The transport locations are poor itself as there is very little parking around Dun Laoghaire and Bloomfields. The nearest parking for customers is at the Shopping Centre. There are plenty of Dublin bus routes that pass outside the pub like the 7, 46a, 63 & the 75. Their nearest bus stops are mainly outside the two Shopping Centres. The pub is about 15 minutes walk from the DART Station.

What do you think about the pub itself in your experience? Any feedback is welcome on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A local issue - moved from Food & Drink.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Vanderbilt

The link you provided is from an earlier sale, May 2012, which states it sold for 450k.

Is there a new link?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It's about a 5 min walk from the dart. I'm rarely in it but would agree it is always pretty empty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Isn't it a NAMA property?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

I am surprised that this pub is going under the hammer once again.

The last time the pub was sold was June 2006 when Tony Weir sold it, the Guy who bought it was running it up to recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Weirs has been bought by the owner of The Noggin Inn, Walters, Scotts, and Chrissie D's in Bray so I reckon it will be properly run in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Weirs has been bought by the owner of The Noggin Inn, Walters, Scotts, and Chrissie D's in Bray so I reckon it will be properly run in the future

I was hoping the owner of Bakers/Bradys/The Igo Inn would have bought it.

...much better pubs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dun Laoghaire is a ghost town tbh, i doubt Brady would buy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Dun Laoghaire is a ghost town tbh, i doubt Brady would buy it

True, it's amazing what 10 years does. That place was hoping at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It closed up at the moment anyway, I miss my Friday 3.5 tons of Carvery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It closed up at the moment anyway, I miss my Friday 3.5 tons of Carvery!

that's a shame. I worked in DL up to a year ago and used to enjoy the odd carvery lunch in there. Nice pub, eastern european barman was bang on too. I never saw the place busy though, unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Dun L used to have a few options and bit of a lively scene:

Scotts always had some rock n roll bands and acoustic acts.
    Nemo's on Thursdays was always a good shout after work for a laugh.
    Back yonder Paparazzi's/Lava Club/etc
    then came upstairs in the 40ft Bodega.
    then and now the only Walters late bar.

Dun L used to have a few options and bit of a lively scene:

Scotts always had some rock n roll bands and acoustic acts.
    Nemo's on Thursdays was always a good shout after work for a laugh.
    Back yonder Paparazzi's/Lava Club/etc
    then came upstairs in the 40ft Bodega.
    then and now the only Walters late bar.

I had many nights out in Scotts/Nemos/Paps but the place is

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The town is dying on its feet even more than it used to, day and night.

Although if lunchtime today up the town is anything to go buy, its no wonder. Gangs of junkies and drunks up around the church and main street, if people feel unsettled at lunchtime theyre hardly likely to think to come back in the evening for dinner or a few pints

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I have seen one or two of the guys that work in Weirs also working in Scotts and Walters over the years.. I assumed the same guy already owned both??

Either way, if Scotts/Walters are anything to go by I won't hold my breath for any improvement when it reopens.

On a side note, there is a sign in the old bar/nightclub under DLSC with a sign saying it's reopening soon.. 'Buck.. somethings' if I remember correctly.

On a side note, there is a sign in the old bar/nightclub under DLSC with a sign saying it's reopening soon.. 'Buck.. somethings' if I remember correctly.

Paps, lava, platinum never heard of bucks

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Paps, lava, platinum never heard of bucks

That's the new name.. Buck Henry's Bar/Café I think.

Advertisement