Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkwest 10k 17.06.12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Im registered for it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

I ran this last year, was my first 10km race so nothing to compare it to but it was really well organised, refreshments etc afterwards and a few competitions. Loads of parking aswell and very good atmosphere. With regards to the course, it was fairly flat with a few inclines, think I done it in 51mins

Will def be doing it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Will do this myself. Not sure what condition i be in for it after just back from hols, but give it a lash sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Looks like the worst of the weather should be passed by Sunday:
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/long.html
    Not too warm, maybe light showers, but only very light breeze.
    Can leave the running shades at home though :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Where do you register for this tommorow?

• Advertisement

Where do you register for this tommorow?

According to the web site you can just pitch up and register tomorrow morning. The documentation I got, registration is from 08:30 - 10:00

My question is where in Parkwest as it's a big place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My question is where in Parkwest as it's a big place.

Last year it was in one of the shops/buildings in the plaza. Entrance is sort of on the exterior of the plaza, along the park west road. Should be a queue outside the door anyway.

Attached is the briefing document.
    The registration is on the ParkWest road about halfway between the start and finish of the race, see the mapmyrun route.
    Good luck tomorrow, looks like the sun is going to shine!
    Stan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

So pissed off at the moment, second 10k of the year, second short one, would have smashed my pb again, doesn't count, .15 mile short, most important thing iin running a race should be getting the distance right, or am
    I wrong.............rant over

• Advertisement

Great race and well organised.. 9.98 on the garmin.Sick of people giving out about races being short or long(maybe you didn't follow the race line)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Just comparing my garmin to menos givin in the OP there is a little loop between 1 and 2 miles that they didnt send us down this year that probably caused the probelm http://connect.garmin.com/activity/189804103

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

I will not be doing this again.. Short courses are unacceptable.. 9.7k..ahhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Just comparing my garmin to menos givin in the OP there is a little loop between 1 and 2 miles that they didnt send us down this year that probably caused the probelm http://connect.garmin.com/activity/189804103

Yeah, it certainly looks like they cut out about 300m in the business park there, most likely they just forgot about that extra little loops :rolleyes:

Looked at watch there and has 9.85..was bangon at 5kmark.Pity as my two fastest 10k's both short :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Nothing more annoying than killing yourself and doing a great time only to find the course short.

Glad I was chose not to do it now tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Yeah short course alright, not acceptable :(
    Luckily for me it's a good PB and I'm well under my goal of 45 mins even with the short course.

Everything else about the race was great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Was it not to do with everyone running on the footpath for major chunks of it when we should have been on the road?
    I enjoyed it all the same. Thought the finish going up the ramp was novel. Definitely one for the calendar next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Was it not to do with everyone running on the footpath for major chunks of it when we should have been on the road?

Nope; I am afraid not. If you compare the Garmin link in the first post to Ronnies from today, you can clearly see there is a decent bit of the course cut off around the 1.5 mile/3km mark in the business park. Otherwise the course was exactly the same so I'd say it was an oversight from the organisers.
    When the race was originally run back in 2010 it was organised by a professional race organiser but since then it has been run by the management company of the Appartments/business park. It's a pity because it is a nice fast course.

I saw Eoin Ryan there today. I dont think he is involved anymore, just advertising Clontarf half mara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

No - Menoscemo is right. I haven't been involved since 2010.

By the by 2 people asked if Clontarf is full..... Not yet ;)

Yep, I agree with all the sentiments on the length of the course, and the responsibilities of the race organisers to ensure it is right. I clocked a good 200m - 250m short. I clocked the Samsung night race 300m long though, I know that the accuracy of a garmin is not to be relied on, but to potentially have a difference of 500m between 2 10k races is really poor form. I think it could potentially kill off some of these races as a competitive event and leave them as purely fun runs.

On the positive side, I thought the organisation on the day, and particularly the course marshalling was excellent. It's a great course, a few little challenges but that long stretch along the canal is great and conditions were close to ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pixelspro

Guys photos from today's Parkwest 10km are up on our facebook page :P
    http://www.facebook.com/Pixelspromotions/photos

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cheeky feck! :D

Me :D

Anyone find their time is wrong?Mine is by 6seconds approx.

Can I see these without having a Facebook login?

Shock, horror! It's true, I'm not on Facebook! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Race being short is pathetic. No excuse for that in a race that's in it's third year and using the same route...

Advertisement