Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

predict Irelands group game results...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

Ireland 1-2 Croatia

Ireland 1-1 Spain

Ireland 2-1 Italy

After a bad start onwards and upwards !:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Ireland 2-1 Croatia
    Ireland 1-3 Spain
    Ireland 2-1 Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Ireland 0 Croatia 2

Ireland 0 Spain 2

Ireland 0 Italy 1

Unders in all games, get on it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Ireland 1 Croatia 2

Ireland 0 Spain 3

Ireland 1 Italy 1

Maybe this is blinding optimism but there is not a prayer Spain score 3 against us. I'd say Spain may only score 3 or 4 in the entire group stages. We'll park the bus, they'll pass it to death and they have Torres and Llorente up front....Villa is a huge loss.

There's a massive possibility they can score 3+. We've conceeded 3 to the likes of Russia, Uruguay and Australia under Trap so suggesting the best team in the world don't have a prayer of scoring this amount is frankly daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

0-1
    0-3
    0-2

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Ireland 1-0 Croatia
    Ireland 1-3 Spain
    Ireland 2-2 Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Ireland 1-1 Croatia
    Ireland 0-2 Spain
    Ireland 2-1 Italy

Probably being optimistic. It would have been nice to have Spain in the first game seeing as Switzerland caught them cold in the first game at the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ireland 0 - 0 Croatia
    Spain 2 - 0 Ireland
    Italy 1 - 0 Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Ireland 1 - 1 Croatia
    Spain 2 - 0 Ireland
    Italy 0 - 1 Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

There's some base level Ann and Barry theories when it comes to the predictions. Spain beats us cause they're the best team in the group. Italy beat us by a little less cause they're 2nd best and we scrape draw with Croatia cause they're 3rd best.

You just have to look at our previous tournaments. Barring 2002, you would've been hard pressed to predict the outcomes. 94 being a prime example. Beat Italy, then lose to Mexico.

A betting man would go for the majority of the above predictions, but the past doesn't back up that theory. I don't see why this time round should be any different. Ireland and tournament football is as unpredictable as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Ireland 1 - 0 Croatia

I think there is very little between Ireland and Croatia and it could go either way on the day. I think the prospect of breaking Ireland down to be a tougher challenge for Croatia, but I would fear Jelavic geting one oppurtunity. I think Ireland can hold tight and nick one in the 70 min.

Spain 1 - 1 Ireland

This is probably wishful thinking, and a little influenced by my dislike of Spain, but I think the constant pressing and defending from Ireland will frustrate Spain and give them very little room. And it has been shown this year that the lack of a 'Plan B' has proven costly for the Spanish style of play. That being said I'm probably ignoring the fact that with Llorente and Torres they do have the option to play a target man, wether they will is another option. Hard to see them keeping Spain scoreless, but they might get one back from a set piece from Dunne :)

Italy 2 - 0 Ireland

I think Italy, like France are going in with poor opinion, but both have entirely revamped teams consisting heavily of home based players. There is alot of talent in the Italy team and I think they will be the surprise of the group and will take top spot. Don't forget the Juventus unbeatables are playing in this squad as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Van Occupanther

Ireland 1 - 0 Croatia
    Ireland 0 - 1 Spain
    Ireland 1 - 1 Italy

Can't see there being much in it in any of our games although as Banjaxed correctly points out, there's no telling what will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Ireland 1 - 1 Croatia
    Spain 2 - 0 Ireland
    Italy 0 - 1 Ireland

I have to go with that also. I expect Spain to win all of their games and Italy to have a tough tournament.

If Ireland gets out of the group we had a great tournament, if we come last we had a terrible tournament and if we came third we are doing as well as our ability allows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

0-0
    0-0
    0-0

Go through in second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I have to go with that also. I expect Spain to win all of their games and Italy to have a tough tournament.

If Ireland gets out of the group we had a great tournament, if we come last we had a terrible tournament and if we came third we are doing as well as our ability allows

Ireland comes last - Pictures of the team disembarking their plane at Dublin airport looking quiet and straight faced.

Ireland comes third - An appearance on the Saturday Night Show to talk about what might have been.

Ireland comes second - Phoenix park party hosted by Pat Kenny with a big yellow topped microphone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

briany wrote: »
    Ireland comes last - Pictures of the team disembarking their plane at Dublin airport looking quiet and straight faced.

Ireland comes third - An appearance on the Saturday Night Show to talk about what might have been.

Ireland comes second - Phoenix park party hosted by Pat Kenny with a big yellow topped microphone.

Joe Duffy, FFS!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

briany wrote: »

Ireland comes first - Players don't return. Too busy negotiating transfers to top Italian and Spanish clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

1-1 Draw with Croatia.
    1-0 win against Spain.
    0-0 against Italy.

We will knock out Spain. I'm feeling them at all this year.

Joe Duffy, FFS!!!!

Ye didbe gettin' to the second roooound. *Syl Fox wakes up*

No, I'd rather Kenny or failing that, Miriam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Rekop dog wrote: »
    There's a massive possibility they can score 3+. We've conceeded 3 to the likes of Russia, Uruguay and Australia under Trap so suggesting the best team in the world don't have a prayer of scoring this amount is frankly daft.

we've conceded 11 goals in our last 15 competitive fixtures over 3 years. It's called an opinion and in my opinion they haven't a prayer of putting 3 past us the way we will line up against them!! If they do, quote this along with an "LOL". Job done!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Ireland 2 - 1 Croatia
    Ireland 1 - 2 Spain
    Ireland 1 - 1 Italy

Quarter Finals against England :D

Ireland 1 - 0 Croatia

I think there is very little between Ireland and Croatia and it could go either way on the day. I think the prospect of breaking Ireland down to be a tougher challenge for Croatia, but I would fear Jelavic geting one oppurtunity. I think Ireland can hold tight and nick one in the 70 min.

Spain 1 - 1 Ireland

This is probably wishful thinking, and a little influenced by my dislike of Spain, but I think the constant pressing and defending from Ireland will frustrate Spain and give them very little room. And it has been shown this year that the lack of a 'Plan B' has proven costly for the Spanish style of play. That being said I'm probably ignoring the fact that with Llorente and Torres they do have the option to play a target man, wether they will is another option. Hard to see them keeping Spain scoreless, but they might get one back from a set piece from Dunne :)

Italy 2 - 0 Ireland

I think Italy, like France are going in with poor opinion, but both have entirely revamped teams consisting heavily of home based players. There is alot of talent in the Italy team and I think they will be the surprise of the group and will take top spot. Don't forget the Juventus unbeatables are playing in this squad as well.

Croatia I'm worried about. They are usually quite alright in knock out football, fit and functional and an extremely strong national identity. Pride in the jersey in modern, international football counts for a lot.

Spain. The classiest international squads since the Tele Santana Brazil squads in the early 80's. Sapin had and have everything. I think they were at their best in 2012 and despite a massive weight of expectation and a slow opening they won the cup, an amazing achievement considering they had a bullseye on their back for two years prior to the competition.

Now here is my corner of hope: Spain and the spanish squad for the majority have won everthing there is to win in the game. The squad have united under the flag despite the inherent political issues that besiege the country. I am not sure there is much left in the mental fortitude tank to get them up for this tournament. Some of the squads most important players, Xavi and Iniesta have played (I think) over 316 and 231 games respectively in the last five seasons for Barca, couple that with Euro 2008, The Confederations Cup, South Africa 2010 where the Spanish won two of the three tournaments, pretty much a lot of that squad have had no real extended break from football. At some point, even the greatest of the great just can't go another mile. I think maybe this might be the end of the line for Spain. In qualifying they were in a very soft group and their top scorer, Villa is out. I'll grant I'm clutching at straws.

Italy They have been in flux really since an ageing squad won the World Cup in 2006. I'd like to Think that Trap will have the boys fired up against a relatively inexperienced Italian side with Balotelli, who is capable of anything. I would like to think the irish boys will be cute enough to keep him wound up. Ireland haven't a bad record against Italy and I think the litany of scandal's in Italy have taken the fire out of Italy to an extent in recent years.

One other point, The Spain and Italy games could well be both home games for Ireland. Both of those countries have serious unemployment problems. Ireland's problems are miniscule by comparison; even per capita. They may not have the same numbers going. The atmosphere could count for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

People on this thread are seriously over optimistic

SantryRed wrote: »
    People on this thread are seriously over optimistic

And some are pessimistic *****. What's your point? Is it not better to revel in the excitement of what might be than wallowing in self pity like some sort of football Eyeore.

ten years of watching other teams have thier month in the sun. Let's enjoy it. We'll have two long months for bitter recriminations if the realists win out!

I think the litany of scandal's in Italy have taken the fire out of Italy to an extent in recent years.

One other point, The Spain and Italy games could well be both home games for Ireland.

Last time Italy were surrounded in the same contreversey, they won the World Cup.

Home games in Poland???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Theres nothing wrong with either being optimistic or pessimistic IMO.

We have one of the toughest groups but at least were there and for over a week the whole country will be looking forward to getting to play at a major international tournament.

Which ever side of the fence you fall on, we should all enjoy, a decent showing here will give us a boost going into the 2014 WC qualifiers where we can hopefully achieve a similar result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Best we can hope for IMO is a win and a draw out of the three games. Don't think we've a hope in getting any more points than that and tbh I can see us getting over run by the 4-5-1 formations ala Russia home and away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

My logical head says;

Ireland 0 Croatia 2
    Ireland 1 Spain 4
    Ireland 1 Italy 1

My heart is praying for;

Ireland 0 Croatia 0
    Ireland 1 Spain 2
    Ireland 1 Italy 0

Last time Italy were surrounded in the same contreversey, they won the World Cup.

Home games in Poland???

Yep. See giants stadium 1994. Majority of support being Irish, having the same effect as a home game for Ireland. You are not the quickest it has to be said.

Yep. See giants stadium 1994. Majority of support being Irish, having the same effect as a home game for Ireland. You are not the quickest it has to be said.

A home game would mean you would be at home would it not? Has this definition changed? I only ask as you seem to be a stickler for good grammar and definitions.

To say Ireland will have a greater support is one thing, to say they are playing at home is another. Usually home game allocates in the region of 5% to away fans. Are you then implying that Ireland will represent 95% of the crowd at the game?

• Advertisement

A home game would mean you would be at home would it not? Has this definition changed? I only ask as you seem to be a stickler for good grammar and definitions.

To say Ireland will have a greater support is one thing, to say they are playing at home is another. Usually home game allocates in the region of 5% to away fans. Are you then implying that Ireland will represent 95% of the crowd at the game?

Nit picking. Jesus. You know exactly what I meant. That should be enough for you, no?

The way some people are going on you'd swear we are useless!!!!

World Rankings:

Croatia - 8th
    Spain - 1st
    Italy - 12th
    Ireland - 18th

The rankings are not always reflective of things, nevertheless this isn't a case of Spain playing Papua New Guinea or Belize.........we are a solid top 20 in the world team. If you compare it to all sports, upsets can happen in the rankings, Djokovic can lose to the world number 20 if he has an off-day, Luke Donald can lose to the world number 51 in Matchplay, Australia can lose to Scotland in rugby on an off-day etc

If things go according to the rankings we will come off 4th best. The beauty of football and sport, is that it doesn't always work that way. I'd rather be wildly over optimistic and pumped for the tournament than go into it like a lot of English (and irish) fans thinking we're gonna get spanked!!!! Where's the fun in realism???????!!!!

I was 8 when Italia 90 was on and i wasnt old enough to have any pessimism or much knowledge of anything tactics wise, i was just like "come on ireland!!" and it was an amazing summer. I'm gonna keep that attitude for this one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Ireland 0 - 0 Croatia
    Ireland 0 - 3 Spain
    Ireland 1 - 0 Italy

Lose in the Quarters 3 - 0 to France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Ireland 1 Croatia 1
    Ireland 0 Spain 1
    Ireland 1 Italy 2

I should say though that I agree with earlier posts regarding the possibility Spain being a flop this time. Remember the all conquering and comparable France team of 2002 lost two and drew one of their three group games. A Spanish repeat of that might be our one basis for hope. My prediction that we will lose to Italy is based on the assumption we will need to win that game (which we aren't set up to do). If we get something from Spain such that a draw might do against Italy then who knows? In fact, if a draw in the last game would suit Italy and Ireland (and its Italian manager), I'd be very afraid if I was Spanish or Croatian!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Ireland 1 Croatia 1
    Ireland 0 Spain 1
    Ireland 1 Italy 2

I should say though that I agree with earlier posts regarding the possibility Spain being a flop this time. Remember the all conquering and comparable France team of 2002 lost two and drew one of their three group games. A Spanish repeat of that might be our one basis for hope. My prediction that we will lose to Italy is based on the assumption we will need to win that game (which we aren't set up to do). If we get something from Spain such that a draw might do against Italy then who knows? In fact, if a draw in the last game would suit Italy and Ireland (and its Italian manager), I'd be very afraid if I was Spanish or Croatian!

I'd be of the opposite opinion regarding the Italian match. I would be more confident of Ireland having to play for a win compared to hanging on for a point.

We all know how we performed the last time we had nothing to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

2-1 vs Croatia
    0-3 vs Spain
    1-1 vs Italy

Finish 3rd, level on points with Italy but knocked out on goal difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

1-2
    0-2
    1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Daemos wrote: »
    2-1 vs Croatia
    0-3 vs Spain
    1-1 vs Italy

Just on the bolded bit, I saw a tweet yesterday claiming that teams would be separated by their UEFA ranking instead of GD etc if teams are level on points...

Ridiculous if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Ireland 1 - 0 croatia
    Ireland 0 - 2 spain
    Ireland 2 - 1 italy

C'mon the boys in green

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

2-0 v Croatia
    4-0 v Spain
    1-0 v Italia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Ire 1-0 cro
    ire 0-0 spa
    ire 1-0 itl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

eugeneious wrote: »
    Daemos wrote: »
    2-1 vs Croatia
    0-3 vs Spain
    1-1 vs Italy

Just on the bolded bit, I saw a tweet yesterday claiming that teams would be separated by their UEFA ranking instead of GD etc if teams are level on points...

Ridiculous if true.

Just another load of bull**** brought in to screw the smaller footballing nations...

Fcuking cnuts

Ridiculous if true.

Jqiiy.gif

crap i thought i saw proof of it being false but it was from the qualifying phase :rolleyes:

Hope to God it is not true, any sources other than Twitter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Alot of people seem to rate Croatia higher than Italy. Or is just the Trapp factor that everyone is banking on

IRL 2-0 CRO
    IRL 0-0 ESP
    IRL 1-1 ITL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Ridiculous if true.

FFS...you would imagine that rule would be used to separate teams with exact same goal difference, head to head etc, instead of a coin toss.

If thats true then our group, as tough as it was, just got tougher.

FFS...you would imagine that rule would be used to separate teams with exact same goal difference, head to head etc, instead of a coin toss.

If thats true then our group, as tough as it was, just got tougher.

How was it done previously? Was it Head to Head fixture? I would be very surprised if they did bring rankings into it.

For the optimists!!!

Some bets out there:

Ireland to beat Croatia but Italy to Win their 1st 2 matches: 40/1

Ireland to be drawing at halftime in all 3 group games: 9/1

Ireland to qualify from their group & England fail to qualify: 12/1

Ireland to score in all 6 halves in the group stages: 400/1

2 draws 1 win: 22/1

2 wins 1 draw: 33/1

A euro on all 6 will probably result in a net loss of €6 but it's only the price of a pint or 2 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

IRL First

1-2 Croatia

1-5 Spain

2-2 Italy

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Ireland 0 1 Croatia
    Ireland 0 4 Spain
    Ireland 0 0 Italy

• Advertisement
Advertisement