Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part time work ending- JSB or JSA

• 05-06-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi

I'm currently working 20 hours a week, it's spread over 5 days so I don't claim any social welfare alongside it. My contract ends at the end of June, was just wondering will I be entitled to the full 188e a week?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

May be wrong here but I was under the impression that if you are over a certain age you will recieve 188 a week but if you don't have enough credits for JSB you will have to wait longer/be means tested so if you have no income and don't have a huge amount saved you should be entitled to the 188 depending on your means, you can apply to the community welfare officer for a payment while youre waiting for your JSA to come through I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 George..

Thanks for your reply! Yeah I hope thats how it works but I just don't know how to find out if I have 'credits'...is this calculated from the PRSI that your employer pays each week? Does the amount of hours you work affect this...I'm so clueless!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 George..

From the citizensinfo website:
    From the citizensinfo website:

Weekly Jobseeker's Benefit payment in 2012:
    Average weekly earnings Personal rate
    Less than €150 €84.50
    €150 - €219.99 €121.40
    €220 - €299.99 €147.30
    €300 or more €188

It says if your making the claim in 2012, it will be calculated on the tax year, 2 years previous which is 2010 and I was a student then working a part time job so earning less than 150e a week....That would mean I'm only entitled to 84.50e so am I right in thinking I'll receive JSA instead which is e144 a week if you are between 22 and 24? And therefore PRSI contributions won't matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

JSA is a means tested payment - If you are living at home your parents means will be taken into account - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/how_parents_income_can_affect_jobseekers_allowance.html

If the JSA payment is more beneficial than the JSB payment (which in your case it is becasue of your part-time work in 2010 and your wages at time) you can choose to be means tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

As above poster says you can opt for JObseekers Allowance. Just make sure that when you're submitting your application you say that you would like to receive "Optional Jobseekers Allowance".

If at any stage you get part-time work that would result in you being better off back on Jobseekers Benefit, you can switch over to the Jobseekers Benefit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement