Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my exchange ever get faster speed

Options
  • 06-06-2012 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 54,339 ✭✭✭✭

It so irritating living right beside the exchange and I cant get faster broadband than 3mb. In fact Golden area as a whole cant get faster than 3mb so your either stuck with 1mb or 3mb

I got this letter over a year ago from eircom

"The speed available to the end user attached to an exchange is dictated by the backhaul capacity from the exchange into the wider eircom trunk network. Any exchange with less than 24mb backhaul can only offer 3mb and below. This is the case with Golden which has a 16meg backhaul capacity.

Therefore it would not be feasible for eircom to offer the higher speed.

The situation will of course change as eircom upgrades its network backhaul capacity which is being done on a phased basis driven by capacity demands."

Have things changed at all Eircom? Its been a 2-3 years now since ye have installed Broadband in my area and it looks like im still stuck with 3mb.

Is there any plans to update this and why is my area treated to badly when it comes to broadband. I rang up your support line one day and was told my line can do 10mb (iirc, could of been 12mb too) and yet I can only do 3mb. What a crap country for broadband tbh. Imagine having line stats like these

eircom broadband:
    Connected
    DSL Mode:
    ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed:
    3072 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up):
    11 dB /5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin:
    28 dB /15 dB

First DNS:
    83.70.93.244(dns3.cra.dublin.eircom.net)
    Secondary DNS:
    213.94.190.194(dns1.cwm.dublin.eircom.net)
    Tertiary DNS:

(stats from a couple of months ago) and yet only 3mb:mad:

Another problem is Golden has had power outages (back for 5mins and gone again)since 7pm and its finally back but the broadband is totally slow, ping very high and jittering all over the place

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Consider yourself lucky, at least Golden was upgraded to DSL ( albeit at a wheezy 3mbit max) unlike Ballyporeen which was promised DSL in April 2007 and still has nothing faster than dialup. eircom won't even apologise to the people of Ballyporeen.

There was no fibre north of the N24 and south of Thurles for a long time so you might get an upgrade if Cashel got one...and Cashel got NGB late last year meaning it has fibre now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,339 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is any Eircom employee going to address my post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Headshot wrote: »
    It so irritating living right beside the exchange and I cant get faster broadband than 3mb. In fact Golden area as a whole cant get faster than 3mb so your either stuck with 1mb or 3mb

I got this letter over a year ago from eircom

"The speed available to the end user attached to an exchange is dictated by the backhaul capacity from the exchange into the wider eircom trunk network. Any exchange with less than 24mb backhaul can only offer 3mb and below. This is the case with Golden which has a 16meg backhaul capacity.

Therefore it would not be feasible for eircom to offer the higher speed.

The situation will of course change as eircom upgrades its network backhaul capacity which is being done on a phased basis driven by capacity demands."

Have things changed at all Eircom? Its been a 2-3 years now since ye have installed Broadband in my area and it looks like im still stuck with 3mb.

Is there any plans to update this and why is my area treated to badly when it comes to broadband. I rang up your support line one day and was told my line can do 10mb (iirc, could of been 12mb too) and yet I can only do 3mb. What a crap country for broadband tbh. Imagine having line stats like these

eircom broadband:
    Connected
    DSL Mode:
    ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed:
    3072 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up):
    11 dB /5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin:
    28 dB /15 dB

First DNS:
    83.70.93.244(dns3.cra.dublin.eircom.net)
    Secondary DNS:
    213.94.190.194(dns1.cwm.dublin.eircom.net)
    Tertiary DNS:

(stats from a couple of months ago) and yet only 3mb:mad:

Another problem is Golden has had power outages (back for 5mins and gone again)since 7pm and its finally back but the broadband is totally slow, ping very high and jittering all over the place

Hi Headshot,

I have been speaking to broadband networks regarding your query, they advised that there is no plans to improve the exchange on network capability within the Golden exchange in the foreseeable future I'm afraid.

I appreciate you may feel your area is being treated unfairly however there is a lot of factors involved when upgrading an exchange or surrounding telephone lines.

eircom have worked on trying to provide bitstream broadband to as many exchanges nation wide as possible.

Also the roll-out of Next Generation Broadband was a way to maximise the broadband speed to a number of exchanges on the existing network.

The work and cost involved is always projected against the possible broadband improvement and return available for customers within any given exchange.

The Golden exchange is a satellite exchange that has a maximum capability of "up to 3MB". So regardless of the proximity of your address from the exchange the "up to 3MB" is the highest possible speed to customers within that exchange.

I know it is frustrating but as per the reasons I outlined above that is the best available broadband service eircom can provide for the foreseeable future.

In relation to your connection issues, the broadband sync on your line is set right on the limit that the exchange is capable of.

Synced at: 3072kbps
    Provisioned: 160-3072kbps

This can result in the disconnects that you outlined, in these circumstances we advise customer that we can lower the provisioned speed (in your case lower it to 2MB) In order to stabilise the connection.

I fully appreciate that this solution is contrary to what you were looking to achieve. However that is all I can advise to improve the connectivity.

I am sorry I could not get back with any positive options or outcome.

Thanks, Mark

Mark, His line stats are FABULOUS.

The problem is that he is connected to an exchange which is backhauled over a cluster of E1 circuits from the look of it. 1980s technology and not very much of it either.

Can you show any plausible reason for a disconnection in those stats??

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Mark, His line stats are FABULOUS.

The problem is that he is connected to an exchange which is backhauled over a cluster of E1 circuits from the look of it. 1980s technology and not very much of it either.

Can you show any plausible reason for a disconnection in those stats??

I also echo this post and would like an answer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Headshot wrote: »
    I also echo this post and would like an answer

Hi Headshot,

As you are on the standard broadband service there can be congestion within an exchange during peak times, which can affect the service and result in high ping times and the attenuation you outlined in your post.

The roll-out of NGB (As it is uncongested) is action eircom are taking to address this issue.

As I outlined before, there is no indication as to if or when the Golden exchange may be NGB enabled I am afraid.

Would it be possible to lower your profile to 2MB for a few days to see if there is any change in the ping results?

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I don't understand how lowering the sync when the stats are so good could improve the connection?

16 Mbits of backhaul and possibly at a reasonable guess as many as 150 DSL customers on the exchange ( it has 600 physical lines) .

Thats contention, end of. Some 3mbit products are only supposed to be contended 24:1 and others at 12:1 ....what one are you on OP???

16 Mbits of backhaul and possibly at a reasonable guess as many as 150 DSL customers on the exchange ( it has 600 physical lines) .

Thats contention, end of. Some 3mbit products are only supposed to be contended 24:1 and others at 12:1 ....what one are you on OP???

im on 3mb Sponge Bob

I doubt there's as many as 150 DSL customers too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Consider yourself lucky I'm stuck on 1mb.

The DSL broadband situation in Ireland is a complete and utter fu*king joke.

The infrastructure is horrifically poor and Eircom don't have the funds to do anything about it.

The thing that I really hate is the marketing spin you get. I remember getting the NGB letter claiming I could get speeds up to 8MB. I got absolutely no increase from NGB.

• Advertisement

eircom have the funds, €100s of millions ringfenced for upgrades. They intend to spend the lot in the cities.

City folks won't have to pay line rental on their 25mbit minimum speed VDSL packages either where country people do. So it costs as much for 25mbits in city areas as 1mbit does in country areas.....see

Funny enough they still have a line just like you do and pay no rental on it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

They intend to spend the lot in the cities.

Totally agree with that statement, they don't give a fcuk about people in non urban areas

Advertisement