Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 rifles. Makes, and experience with them.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

ormondprop wrote: »
    how did that field trip go after? Anything tempting you?
    Good question - I've always wanted to ask about the turnout on old threads and am about to reply to a few of my own, if my shopping spree goes according to plan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I started this thread with the one single thought that the rifle would be a .223 to fill that "void". That was until i got to Jim Griffins.

I was talking, and looking at a certain rifle and dismissed it as it would exceed any budget i had, especially new. What do i find when i walk in only the exact model i was thinking off just in the "wrong caliber".

A Sako 75 Deluxe in .243 cal. The stock was lovely, and had a great feel. The trigger guard, and floor plate were nicely engraved. Barrel was medium light, and blued. All topped off with a S&B 6x42 in Sako Optilock rings. The gun came up to my shoulder perfectly, and out of curiosity i asked the price. When i was told it i asked again for the price for the gun and scope, and was told that was it.

So the plans for a dedicated .223 foxing/vermin rifle seem to be slightly out the window. I'll have no problem with the license for a .243, but am fairly sure this is the gun for me. So after thinking it over for a few days i decided that the Remmy might be "retired" because the .243 would not only act as a foxing/vermin rifle, but would be perfect for deer too. I've seen lads over the years with two deer legal rifles, and they always favour one over the other to such an extent that one is left idle for months or until they decide to sell it.

So I have left the shotgun in as a "deposit", but have also left in the rifle. Whichever goes first will pay for the new toy, and the other will come home with me. Whichever one it is is of no consequence of me.

So thanks to everyone that answered, and gave their opinion. The thread will serve as a "guide" for others so if anyone else feels like posting lash away.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Ezridax wrote: »
    ......A Sako 75 Deluxe in .243 cal....

That's a nice gun, best of luck with it. I'm looking forward to seeing a few pics of it, and seeing a few pics of it's work in the hunting photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I know its a bit O/T, but my dad has one in 270 and I have a 308 in a stainless varmint version. savage rifles, nice to shoulder, nice to shoot.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

hunt out a nice 461 or an early 491 Sako. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement