Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household charge fine.. would I be liable?

Options
  • 06-06-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

I live in an estate that is classed as unfinished an as such am not liable to pay the household charge, and I just didn't register for it.
    From what I've read there is a % fine for non-payment, does this mean I'm liable for % of €0 = €0 if persued for non registration?
    I had gone to register once for it but didn't have €100 handy at the time to pay it, anyways seemed a bit mad to have to pay when I didn't have to pay it...

What do ppl think, how will I get on when big Phil comes a calling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

AFAIK you should have registered but clicked an option to highlight that you are in such an estate. I think they will chase non-payers before non registered people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Aye, but I don't have to pay is my point... I think the law states that the fines are a precentage of what should have been paid... my question is
    : If brought to court will the fine be 10% of €0 => €0, nada, nothing, zilch? :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I'm not sure what would happen, I'm sure you are at the bottom of the list of those to pursue. I imagine your fines won't kick in until 2014 when your house will become eligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Firblog wrote: »
    Aye, but I don't have to pay is my point... I think the law states that the fines are a precentage of what should have been paid... my question is
    : If brought to court will the fine be 10% of €0 => €0, nada, nothing, zilch? :
    Not sure exactly, but I think you had to register for an exemption, and since you didn't, you may be liable up to the point that you register.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

From what I've read there is a % fine for non-payment, does this mean I'm liable for % of €0 = €0 if persued for non registration?

I think you read it wrong. There is a fixed charge can be applied for failure to register (I think they have to take you to court for that) and then there is the % increase to the fee. For you, the fee is 0, so obviously no % increase, but there is still the possibility of the fine for non-registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

I would be willing to argue that as I would have had to pay the €100 upfront to register online - then claim the exemption to get it back - that I was prevented from registering by the fact I was broke... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would be willing to argue that as I would have had to pay the €100 upfront to register online - then claim the exemption to get it back - that I was prevented from registering by the fact I was broke... :o
    No, in claiming the exemption, no money changes hands. Best to register now to get it out of the way and avoid any complications.

Advertisement