Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do lillies fair in pots.

Options
  • 06-06-2012 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Any advice here would be great.

I have a tropical bed in my garden ( about 20'X20' with a path going through it) containing tree ferns, Day lillies, Echiums, trachycarpus fortunei, new Zealand Flax, bamboo's, cabbage palms, ferns, chinese rhubarb and many others. It works quite well and most things are very well extablished. Although the lack of colour - especially in the summer months concerned me. So I decided to buy lillies. I got a fair few orientals (stargazer) which give off a great scent , but they only flower for a couple of weeks of the year. I also just purchased a few potted Asiatics - for some early flower and I'm expecting some great displays over the next month so, but:

Because the chinese rhubard has such big leaves, they excluded light from early May so some of the planted lillies don't get on that great. The big leaves emerge and then die off after about 3/4weeks

Can I plant up lillies in pots and then just position them in early/late June for effect in what ever position that I can fit them? How do lillies (both oriental and Asiatic) fair packed into pots?

Any pther ideas for hardy tropical plant that can deliver some exotic colour for semi-shade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have lilies in pots and they have done well the last few years. You need big pots or they look top heavy and awkward.

I have small spring bulbs in with them which are well gone by the time the lilies are doing anything serious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Very well, but they will need feeding and to be kept watered.

Advertisement