Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Affecting My Internet Connection?

• 06-06-2012 1:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i'm having trouble with this for a while now. It's taking ages to download a simple 5 or 6 minute youtube video - as in maybe half an hour or so. Now my speed was never great in the first place because of the area I live, but never ever was it this bad. I'm with eircom, on the most basic package due to limitations on my line or something to that effect.

I've searched a few threads to see if there is any common theme to this but couldn't really see anything, basically i'm asking if anyone has any ideas here as to what the problem could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 V45custom

Why do we in Ireland give excuses for our terrible internet service? "the area I live in"? They can get the net in Manilla! Eircom is no better than any other net provider in Ireland. We get crappy speeds and wet excuses because the providers can get away with it......and charge us for the pleasure. If anyone wants to part with hard-earnt money to give to 2nd rate providers, then these providers will not change. Demand a refund for the days of poor quality service, in some cases such as mine.....a year!

You'll get no satisfaction for your dilemma......70% of the country has poor or no internet connection. If you're in 1 of the 4 larger points in Ireland you'll have a good chance of receiving a decent connection......(gives more strength to the saying of "Dublin IS Ireland", and outside of it does not exist).

And god help internet companies like net-flix that wish to sell their services....I dont want to wait for a month to watch a movie! while it downloads at 2kb per minute.

Check the contract that Eircom give......the speeds they claim to provide, have they upheld their part of the contract? if not, contact them and point it out. It's not only due to the limitations of your line, but due to the limitations that eircom are willing to spend on upgrading an antique system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Degag wrote: »
    I'm with eircom, on the most basic package due to limitations on my line or something to that effect.

The most basic eircom package is 1Mbps, so that could well be it. Beyond that, no one can tell you what other problems you might be having without more information from you. What exactly is your speed, or do you even know? Is it a wired or wireless connection to your modem. Youtube is not a good indicator of your Internet connection or speed. Don't use it as a reference point, do a proper speed test instead. Don't solely rely on the speed test sites either, as results can vary widely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭Degag

jor el wrote: »
    The most basic eircom package is 1Mbps, so that could well be it. Beyond that, no one can tell you what other problems you might be having without more information from you. What exactly is your speed, or do you even know? Is it a wired or wireless connection to your modem. Youtube is not a good indicator of your Internet connection or speed. Don't use it as a reference point, do a proper speed test instead. Don't solely rely on the speed test sites either, as results can vary widely.

Just done a speed test on http://speedtest.webworld.ie/ and download speed is 0.04 mbps and upload speed is 0.1 mbps which i gather is pretty poor?! It's a wireless connection. Don't know how to do a proper speed test apart from these sites though. Would it be worth ringing eircom about this? What can/will they actually do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Retry the test using a cable connection. Wireless is subject to RF interference from a host of sources.

FSL wrote: »
    Retry the test using a cable connection. Wireless is subject to RF interference from a host of sources.
    Not sure how to do this. What cable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

An Ethernet cable between the machine and the router.

Have done a test with the ethernet cable connected and with http://www.broadbandireland.ie/speed-test.php download speed was 0.133 while upload speed was 0.104.

The original site wher i did the test, http://speedtest.webworld.ie/ had it at 0.14 and 0.10 respectively compared to 0.04 and 0.10 without the cable attached. So there seems to be a difference with and without the cable. Someone said something earlier about interference. What exactly could this be?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

Degag wrote: »
    Hi all, i'm having trouble with this for a while now. It's taking ages to download a simple 5 or 6 minute youtube video - as in maybe half an hour or so. Now my speed was never great in the first place because of the area I live, but never ever was it this bad. I'm with eircom, on the most basic package due to limitations on my line or something to that effect.

I've searched a few threads to see if there is any common theme to this but couldn't really see anything, basically i'm asking if anyone has any ideas here as to what the problem could be?

I had awful trouble until I disconnected Sky from the telephone line.

Checked that. It wasn't connected.

Advertisement