Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a hole cut in my wall...

Options
  • 06-06-2012 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭

For a "through the wall" letter box.

Anybody know who I should look for to do this? An idea of price would be good too.

I don't just mean some fella with a sledge hammer and some optimism btw!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Is the wall a garden wall or the front wall of your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

CJC999 wrote: »
    Is the wall a garden wall or the front wall of your house?

Sorry, garden wall!

Hire a kango drill and large bit from any tool hire place and do it yourself. Mark out the shape of the box and drill holes at the four corners and then drill a series of holes close to each other around the rest of the outline of the box. Once you have that done get a small slegde hammer and knock the piece through. Drill the holes exactly on the outline drawn as you'll need the hole slightly larger than the actual box. I'm assuming there are brackets attached to the letter box that fix on the rear of the wall to fix it securely? You can then fill any gaps with a filler and paint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

CJC999 wrote: »
    Hire a kango drill and large bit from any tool hire place and do it yourself. Mark out the shape of the box and drill holes at the four corners and then drill a series of holes close to each other around the rest of the outline of the box. Once you have that done get a small slegde hammer and knock the piece through. Drill the holes exactly on the outline drawn as you'll need the hole slightly larger than the actual box. I'm assuming there are brackets attached to the letter box that fix on the rear of the wall to fix it securely? You can then fill any gaps with a filler and paint it.

Sounds grand in theory, but I'm worried I'll make a hash of it and then have to listen to the wife for a month.

Get 'The Dealer'

There are plenty of ads for tradesmen that will do small jobs like that in the services/trades section at the rear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement