Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Premier League Manager Sacked Next Season?

• 06-06-2012 2:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Obviously a fair bit away yet, but it's something we can come back to.

I'm going to for Harry Redknapp.

I generally don't mind him despite the amount of stick he gets, but I see he's been on Sky Sports News lately banging on about how he's in the last year of his contract and there's no protection for managers these days etc, this is despite the fact he'd probably have dropped Spurs like a stone if he'd been offered the England job. He's even gone as far as ''warning Spurs they risk causing dressing-room unrest if they don't give him a new contract'' (The Telegraph).

After the poor run towards the end of last season, going from Champions League certainties at one stage to being in the Europa League next season (although that's because Chelsea won the Champions League, they should never have been in a position for it to happen given where they were) and the whole England job thing I can see the fans turning if they get off to a poor start.

So Redknapp is my tip (cue him signing a new deal tomorrow :pac:), who's yours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Based on the spurs forum a lot of fans have already turned on him and wouldn't be too upset if he did leave.

Saying that, I'm going with the safe bet of Chelsea. Nothing on a new manager yet (that I've seen, could be wrong) so I could see Di Matteo being left in charge and dumped as soon as Chelsea hit a rough patch. Roman won't be taking any chances if results are not going his way, he won't want another finish that low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Allardyce? He ain't very popular with the fans so he may get a hard time of it if they start poorly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Next Chelsea and/or Liverpool manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Whoever is Chelsea manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Think it'll be either Mark Hughes or Nigel Adkins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

"You don't let players run into the last year of their contract if you think they're any good, and you don't let managers run into the last year of their contract if you think they're any good."

I think you have your answer there 'Arry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ferguson obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Hughes or whoever takes over at West Brom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

We don't even know the 20 managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mark Hughes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

The new Swansea manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

adkins after southampton go their first dozen or so games without picking up more than a handful of points, and getting murdered regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The four obvious contenders would be the new Swansea manager, West Brom manager, Chelsea manager and Rodgers. Harry would then be next in line, imo. I was leaning towards Lambert, but I just think that expectations will be so low at Villa Park after last season, that nothing short of insulting Paul McGrath's mother would see him get the bullet. I'd steer clear of newly promoted teams, purely for the unknown factor and freshman season syndrome.

My three complete outside bets would be:

Martin O'Neill - Started like a house on fire but really petered out towards the end of the season; no wins since March in the EPL. By all accounts a manager against whom teams know exactly how to play, in order to secure a result. A poor start could see pressure mounting, especially if he spends money during the Summer. However, I'd only take this at odds greater than 20/1.

Alan Pardew - I'm really only picking this one as a pure shot in the dark. You often see teams have one great season, only for things to completely rebound beyond control. Should Newcastle get off to a slow start, the relative depths of such a low, compared to the high of last year could force Ashley into acting hastily. But if he hangs onto the bulk of his first team, it's very unlikely to happen and I'd need at least 50/1 to be interested.

Roberto Mancini - ADUG have shown patience with managers far beyond that which I was expecting. Nonetheless, odds greater than 50/1 and I'd get involved. The League Title should be the minimum expectation for next year, and such an accomplishment could be completely written off with an average to poor start. Never as easy defending a title as it is winning your first, and a sluggish first few games, combined with someone like Pep possibly still being on the market, could force ADUG's hand. Plus, in a situation like City's, with players like Balotelli and Tevez, you just can't rule out there being some heroic bust up, possibly, nay, hopefully, involving golf equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Allardyce

O Neill. His bubble will explode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I can see Norwich really struggling next season and taking over from such a successful manager is never a easy task. Similar enough story at the Swans. One of those imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

CSF wrote: »
    Allardyce? He ain't very popular with the fans so he may get a hard time of it if they start poorly.

Great shout. They're going to lose more games than they win and a significant portion of the fanbase despise him for the style of football. He'll get thrown under the bus unless he absolutely kills it somehow (and they just aren't going to be good enough).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

CSF wrote: »
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Great shout. They're going to lose more games than they win and a significant portion of the fanbase despise him for the style of football. He'll get thrown under the bus unless he absolutely kills it somehow (and they just aren't going to be good enough).
    That's a bit of an exaggeration to be fair. There was a bit of discontent amongst a portion of the fans (he wasn't "despised") for a time around February/March when we went 7 games at home without a win and were failing to break down the likes of Doncaster and Palace. Our form and football improved immeasurably after this and after deservedly getting through the playoffs, the vast majority of fans are well and truly behind Allardyce.
    And West Ham fans aren't stupid. We're not expecting miracles next season and we know we're going to lose more games than we win. It's going to be tough but I'm fairly confident that we can achieve safety relatively comfortably with Allardyce there. I'd be surprised if Allardyce is the first manager to go.

As for the question at hand, I can see Norwich and especially Swansea struggling next season so their new managers could be in trouble. Also, I've a feeling Southampton could have some trouble as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mark Hughes for me especially if he spends big in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Steve Bruce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Slightly off topic but how come Tony Pulis is never linked with other clubs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

ciaran76 wrote: »

He'll forever be bricked with the Stoke way of playing which nobody wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    I'm going for Harry Redknapp.

Not a bad shout judging by the latest reports, even if we're still a couple of months away from the start of the season :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Not a bad shout judging by the latest reports, even if we're still a couple of months away from the start of the season :pac:

Any chance of the lotto numbers , thats a epic early shout , I tip my hat to you .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Technically though he wasn't sacked was he? He resigned ;) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

ciaran76 wrote: »

most clubs aspire to actually play football, not negate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Any chance of the lotto numbers , thats a epic early shout , I tip my hat to you .

RDHRDDF.jpg

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    RDHRDDF.jpg

Jult?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Some people come up with crazy predictions imo.

Mark Hughes has been in charge of three clubs for a full season.

Blackburn Rovers
    05/06 6th
    06/07 10th
    07/08 7th
    Manchester City
    08/09 10th
    Fulham
    10/11 8th

I say watch out for QPR for a top ten finish next season.

Sam Allardyce brought Bolton up and they struggled for the first two seasons just surviving both times. From then though his record is pretty impressive when having full seasons at a club.

Bolton
    01/02 16th
    02/03 17th
    03/04 8th
    04/05 6th
    05/06 8th
    06/07 7th
    Blackburn
    09/10 10th

Another manager who for me will have his team well away from the bottom of the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Roberto di matteo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Redknapp gets things rolling early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Neil3030 wrote: »

Roberto Mancini - ADUG have shown patience with managers far beyond that which I was expecting. Nonetheless, odds greater than 50/1 and I'd get involved. The League Title should be the minimum expectation for next year, and such an accomplishment could be completely written off with an average to poor start. Never as easy defending a title as it is winning your first, and a sluggish first few games, combined with someone like Pep possibly still being on the market, could force ADUG's hand. Plus, in a situation like City's, with players like Balotelli and Tevez, you just can't rule out there being some heroic bust up, possibly, nay, hopefully, involving golf equipment.

For years the experts have been telling us that winning the first IS the hardest....ah you just cant win.

Anyway, Mr Hughes wont last too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Big Sam Allardyce
    and Harry to return to the eastend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

Technically though he wasn't sacked was he? He resigned ;) :pac:

Did he, though?
    If he'd resigned he'd have missed out on getting his few bob. Can't see Arry doing that.

Advertisement