Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School days. are they really the best of your life?

• 06-06-2012 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Personally I dont agree too much. I think some people just remember the best parts. They conveniently forget the long boring days, the homework, detentions, or even bullying.

So what do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

No.

Any other questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

No.

Any other questions?

Why is the sky blue?

And how come when I close my eyes and open them in the dark I see these mad squiggles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

And how come when I close my eyes and open them in the dark I see these mad squiggles?

This is a great question, worthy of it's own thread.

This is a great question, worthy of it's own thread.

Its worse when you squeeze your eyes shut then open them:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Yeah I agree, I think people definitely put on the rose tinted specs when thinking back about their schooldays. I remember many an evening coming home from school and being tired and having practically no free time because I'd been saddled with so much homework. Couldn't even enjoy your weekends properly, knowing you had to get stuff done before sunday night.
    As for the long summer holidays, yeah they were great. So much free time to do anything you liked. Except that you couldn't because you'd no money for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

No.:mad:

University days now that's a horse of a different colour! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Yeah I agree, I think people definitely put on the rose tinted specs when thinking back about their schooldays. I remember many an evening coming home from school and being tired and having practically no free time because I'd been saddled with so much homework. Couldn't even enjoy your weekends properly, knowing you had to get stuff done before sunday night.
    As for the long summer holidays, yeah they were great. So much free time to do anything you liked. Except that you couldn't because you'd no money for anything.

Definitely. Not forgetting you could do sweet feck all because you were still only about 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

No. Still traumatised from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

In national school if we didnt bother doing our homework once your parents would be called in. In secondary only half the teachers checked to even see if we had done our homework, so I pretty much did none between 13 and 17- they would ask me to read out an answer and I would stare at a blank page and pretend to be reading it out aloud- freestyle homework rapping :pac:

School itself, not really, its the young equivalent of being in work. The social life back then though, I suppose it was a good time. First beers, first rides, drug experimentation, it was all a gloriously new time :) I remember the decent summers with fondness more than actually attending school tbh.

• Advertisement

Being bullied, having the sh*t kicked out of me while I was on crutches. Nope, don't think so.

Being bullied, having the sh*t kicked out of me while I was on crutches. Nope, don't think so.

Kids can be absolutely heartless!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Kids can be absolutely heartless!:eek:

She was severely constipated.

grindle wrote: »
    She was severely constipated.

I've actually always wondered how that saying came about in fairness. I do wonder if anybody ever has literally had the sh!t kicked outta them.

And is it a regular occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

No they're not. Growing up you have enough insecurities without getting tonnes more shoved in your face. Trying to fit in and watching the popular crowd sneer you for being different. It's worse if you have a brainy sibling who's a few years ahead of you too with the unrealistic expectations made of you. Back crippling schoolbags that nearly rip the shoulders off you, the pressure of exams, that teacher who has it in for you for no good reason, teachers boring you to tears reading from a book for the whole class, teachers who go on endless power trips, being sent to the principals' office for the dumbest of reasons. In my secondary school Friday assembly was excruciating. The principal would call out your name and say in front of the whole school how your progress was for the week. Even if you did badly that was called out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

School days were the best time of my life when i was around 10. I had lots of friends and they were all really amazing kids and we had **** loads of fun together.

Then i grew up and had the worst possible time in school when i was around 14-15. There was this big class bully and everyone but me used to suck upto him. So i was left with very few friends because i wouldn't give into his gang. I'm pretty sure now that kid is in some gang doing drugs n ****, he was pretty **** at studies so he wouldnt have got into any decent course at uni... Anyway things never really revovered since. I made lots of friends during leaving cert but then as we all went to universities, i lost contact with most of them. Then i never really found my self fitting into the whole college life of booze n parting...

So yeah looking back the best time of my life was when i was in junior school...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

school.....i have forgot alot about it and i never kept in touvh with any of my class mates... they were ok but i never felt i fitted in.was from the country -travelled miles in so i never really kept up contact after school, went away to college and that was it. i remember one girl ( girls are always the worse to bully)who took the laugh about me being from the country and did harass me, I bumped into her the night of my hen recently- wow ! what a hard nosed rough b**** she had become! Being ugly on the inside had eventually emerged onto her face!
    So overall , school days for me were not the best days for me however as a secondary school teacher I see manipulative/isolating incidents on a constant basis.....i do pity kids nowadays... roll on finishing the l.cert for them apologies for spelling mistakes, an up feeding baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

For some it probably was. I remember my last day of primary school there was a guy from my class in tears because he didn't want to leave all his friends. I couldn't wait to get out of the place... but then I didn't have runners expensive enough to make me popular, at least not until 6th class when I got a pair of Reeboks, at which point I was suddenly cool. Children are idiots and other children shouldn't be subjected to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

School days... M'eh

Weekends at that age... Awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Saying it was the best days of your life is strange to me, sure I had some happy times but it certainly wasn't the happest time In my life. It's reminds me of people who marry young with an extravagent costly wedding and then post a million pics on facebook to reinforce in their minds what a fantastic day it was. It's as if to say, there I made it, that's the pinnacle of my life, thats as good as it gets. Life is an evolving process and every stage of your life what ever way you choose to live it, can be some of the best days of your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Personally I dont agree too much. I think some people just remember the best parts. They conveniently forget the long boring days, the homework, detentions, or even bullying.

So what do ye think?

School definitely not. College maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Fuck no, school was horrible and I'm very glad it's over. Adulthood is much better than childhood imo. Each have their advantages, but adults can do what they want. No homework, very few exams, far less peer pressure, better food, lots more sex & drugs, friends who don't talk behind your back, I could go on and on and on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

Small boys in the park. Jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea.

Happy days if not the happiest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

If you are one of the lucky ones, the best days of your life will be those first weeks after you realise you can perform autofellatio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

In national school if we didnt bother doing our homework once your parents would be called in. In secondary only half the teachers checked to even see if we had done our homework, so I pretty much did none between 13 and 17- they would ask me to read out an answer and I would stare at a blank page and pretend to be reading it out aloud- freestyle homework rapping :pac:

School itself, not really, its the young equivalent of being in work. The social life back then though, I suppose it was a good time. First beers, first rides, drug experimentation, it was all a gloriously new time :) I remember the decent summers with fondness more than actually attending school tbh.

You just saved me typing all that:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

School days. are they really the best of your life?

of course they're the best days of your life :

you expierience this for the first time, never to happen again :

smoke a joint
    get drunk
    bully someone
    irritate the teachers
    and let's not forget the ripening ladies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^ the school principal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I hated every day in school, I spent my days dreaming about life without school.
    One of my favourite pastimes was trying to make out what was happening on the street outside by studying the the images on the opaque window glass.
    After school and holidays were fantastic, me and my friends new every street and nook and cranny in Cork city and surrounding countryside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Yeah, I do think they were the best days so far for me, even considering all the sh1t that was going on for me personally at the time.
    Plus, I never really went in to school much anyway, only when I felt like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

No. But I would go back given the choice so I could do things differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Nope some of the worst. A child puts in more hours of work a day then most adults

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

No.

I still have a good few of the same friends as I did in school but now we all have money. You could really feel the class-divide in school, some of my mates would be going to the cinema every weekend or the dreadful "Wesley", the rest of us enjoyed the occasional window-shop.

Life is generally pretty boring when you've no money.
    School was the most interesting thing I did back then. Pretty sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Worst days of my life so far. The best have been from the mid-twenties to now....

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

They were grand... 4th/5th Year (whichever you call the year before the Leaving) and Leaving Cert Year were the best of them but given the choice I wouldn't go back. College days are the best of your life! (so far for me anyway!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Tefral

College days were the best for me! Worked 50 hrs a week around my college, had plenty of money to go out with the lads, had a car and no worries.

How life changes.. Now flying to and from London to work and trying to balance all that while maintaining a relationship.

Looking back, I never appreciated how good I had it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It was a nightmare from the very first day of school until I left. I would have been alright with the learning side of things; it was mixing with other children that was the problem.

When I started secondary school I was so desperate to fit in that I hung around with kids I hated. I knew these kids only hung around with me so they could laugh at me. It was either hang around with these idiots or stand around at break time on my own and get laughed at by the entire school for being a loser with no friends. In every class that my 'friends' were sitting behind me they would chew up balls of paper and spit them at the back of my head.

If that doesn't sound too bad I'm just using that as an example of how the kids I called my 'friends' treated me.

I left school as soon as I could. When I turned sixteen I waited until my summer holidays were over and did a FAS course. I knew deep down that I was ruining any future job prospects but if I had stayed in school any longer I honestly think I would have killed myself.

Oh school and college, great days, best? maybe not, carefree DEFFO!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

So what do ye think?

Anyone who says school was the time time of their lives, has never been to college....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Its worse when you squeeze your eyes shut then open them:pac:

hands up all those who just did this in front of their screen. My boss thinks I have a twitch ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Anyone who says school was the time time of their lives, has never been to college....

I have, but as an adult with 2 kids and bills etc...
    I tried chatting to the 18 year olds, but they were from a whole different planet as far as I could tell.
    So I never really got the whole social experiences that go with college.
    So school days remain the most fun and care free for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

If school days were your best..............then I feel sorry for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i rarely went into school during 5th and 6th year.... kinda wished i did now... but i went mitching quite often back then. but my 20's was a much better time in my life... partied like there was no tomorrow.... ah fun times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

this one time at band camp..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Best days of my life? Not school. The fact that I have virtually blanked them from my memory says it all. The best days of my life were several summers while off from primary school when I got up in the morning and played all day and then went to bed. Then did it all again the next day and the next.

Apart from that there were a few weeks in 1989 and most of 1995.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Well i had a great time in school when i was around 10yrs cuz it was before all the bullies and brand whores and "the cool kids" emerged. Once we all grew up it all went downhill pretty fast.

I wish i could say i had a great time in college but really i just couldn't fit in with the whole partying and boozing. For me college was about skipping classes, playing guitar and jamming along with other kids (which was one of the more fun bits), struggling with studies, gf worries ruining my studies, hating my class, failing my exams, having second thoughts why on earth i'm doing this course, but then towards these final couple of years i've become more focused and have been doing alrite. And at the end of it all i'll have to say i can't wait to finally graduate and get out of this college!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭corkcity

would never go back NEVER
    hated it from day 1.on the last day of 6th class i ran so fast out the door you could see the smoke .started in 1st year ,same **** .one thing i learned was to stand up for yourself ,some guy started on me so i hammered him,no one tried anyting for the next 6yrs.in 6th year i stopped goin to school in april,was a waste of time .in the end got a good leaving cert ,did not go to colledge and now have a well paid job .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I think adults tend to say that about school, because they're comparing it to the days they're living as adults, bills, work problems, annoying children, bla bla bla. It's really quite dismissive of the problems young people actually face.

For me school was the beginning of all the **** I still have to deal with, and was part cause for my self esteem issues. So no, I don't look back at school and wish I was back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

God no! It's quite depressing to think they'd be the best days of a person's life.
    :( I couldn't wait to get out of there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement