Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School days. are they really the best of your life?

2»

Comments

I think adults tend to say that about school, because they're comparing it to the days they're living as adults, bills, work problems, annoying children, bla bla bla. It's really quite dismissive of the problems young people actually face.

For me school was the beginning of all the **** I still have to deal with, and was part cause for my self esteem issues. So no, I don't look back at school and wish I was back there.

99 problems and school aint one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

No.

Just a different kind of 'good times'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Boards users are probably a bad sample group to ask this question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

When I think about my schooldays, I can only remember that Irish teacher who I'm convinced was a reincarnation of Hitler. So, no.

Now the college days, different matter entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,312 ✭✭✭✭Penn

School was sh*t.

College was awesome. Independence. Money. Freedom. Alcohol. Responsibility.

I spent 5 years at college, each year was better than the year before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

School in Ireland was always ****e.
    A small world, populated by small minds, dominated by group think.
    I didn't have a bad time at school, but looking back I wouldn't go back there for all the money in the world.
    College was much better.
    Emigration was the best of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I think adults tend to say that about school, because they're comparing it to the days they're living as adults, bills, work problems, annoying children, bla bla bla.

I suspect that those adults have not spent enough time having a bit of craic.....so no wonder they think that. In my experience, the decade between 25 and 35 as a single (and occasionally coupled up) man, in Dublin and in London, were (and are) the best years of my life. Now I feel just about ready for the bills, work problems and annoying children! And the message to my kids will be "don't worry....it gets better"!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Hells no. All girls school, cliques, peer pressure, insecurity, acne, ugly uniform, bitchy girls, archaic rules...among the worst days I would say.

Mid 20s is where it's at: just out of college, working in your first 'proper' job so having money to blow on yourself and your escapades without the worry of mortgage, kids and all that 'adult' stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I loved school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I didnt think it was too bad, homework was sh!te, the usual, but there were alot of great things that happened, the friends you made, the things you done that got you into sh!te with teachers that left you hysterical with laughter, I think 5th and 6th year were the best. You were nearing adulthood and had so many firsts, the feeling when you were nearing the end of your school life and you felt the world was your oyster! But I hope to god they werent the best days of my life! that would be totally depressing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Loved my school days and even said it back then. I miss the sporting aspect, the cheeky answers to the teachers, the fact you didnt need a well paying job to hook up with a female and of course the endless banter. Oh those were the days.

Life went drastically downhill for me after school :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No not for me. Didn't like school that much, though liked learning just didn't like school. Toughest days of my life to be honest though by the time I got older I started to like the ould study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I've heard this somewhere before: "Your life starts when you retire."

So no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

beks101 wrote: »
    Hells no. All girls school, cliques, peer pressure, insecurity, acne, ugly uniform, bitchy girls, archaic rules...among the worst days I would say.

Mid 20s is where it's at: just out of college, working in your first 'proper' job so having money to blow on yourself and your escapades without the worry of mortgage, kids and all that 'adult' stuff :)

This.

And I was no prize peach myself as a teenager. I think (I hope) I've come on since then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Summer holidays are the best days of your life, school term was a horrible time.

- Up early.
    - Uncomfortable uniform.
    - Spending the whole day looking for distractions so as to not listen to something you really don't want to hear about. Not like I'd have learned anything anyway, everything I learned from primary and secondary school was from the textbooks.
    - Spending evenings doing homework
    - Have to go to bed early for school the next day. Was usually too tired to do anything in the evenings anyway.

I remember on my last day of secondary school, they had a "graduation mass" as they called it where someone played some of the generic reflective music like Keanes "Everybodys changing" and I remember being slightly confused as to whether I'd really miss this place or not, can't say theres ever been a moment where I have 6 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

If you are one of the lucky ones, the best days of your life will be those first weeks after you realise you can perform autofellatio.

Yes, you do seem to be obsessed with it, Mickey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I preferred college though, secondary school was ok but didn't like primary school toughest time of my life there to be honest, didn't like it all that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If you are one of the lucky ones, the best days of your life will be those first weeks after you realise you can perform autofellatio.
    I really fail to see why you'd **** to suck your own cock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

only if the rest of your life is really boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

really cant say i miss it, the only upside of school for me was not really having any major responsibility and having plenty of time to yourself. when you get into the real world the reality of bills and work hit home, but would much prefer to have it that way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

If being filled with angst and lethargy while surrounded by 300 inbred morons are supposed to be the best days of your life then I'll have to say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Loved primary school - I was so happy then.

Secondary was ok - not the greatest, but that was mostly for personal reasons than anything to do with school. I would never want to go back to the awkward teenage years.

College was almost as good as primary. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

School was way too restrictive for me - must attend every class, must wear the horrible uniform, must be polite to teachers even when they treat you like sh1t, must study and do homework even though you've already spent the whole day in class etc etc. Thankfully I had lots of good mates there which helped a LOT. Despite working and having bills etc to pay now, at least I feel free to make choices in my life and have some control over how I spend my days. School holidays were the best though, what I'd give for one of those long summers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

School was ok, maybe they are the best days of your life if you don't go to college. But college is f*cking awesome. Im going to stay in 3rd level for ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone here go to a boarding school???

now that must be utter hell if you were bullied in one, cause in regular school you could always escape to the sanctuary of home when the bell rings

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Being bullied, having the sh*t kicked out of me while I was on crutches. Nope, don't think so.

with a username like that i wouldn't be surprised

conor360 wrote: »
    with a username like that i wouldn't be surprised

Yeh I used to go around wearing a sticker with my future boards username written on it. Silly old me!

Yeh I used to go around wearing a sticker with my future boards username written on it. Silly old me!

:D
    i think it's cute don't pay any attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

School years were the biggest load of shìte.

It's like spending years working with a bunch of assholes the same age as you but you don't have the option to quit.

Scrapping, drinking and getting dee shift off de wimmen were the usual highlights, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭wexfordia

I liked primary school, and can still remember my last day, but not secondary school. By the end I was eager to leave and move on to university. I would rarely think about my school days. Nothing especially memorable stands out in the memory from my time in secondary school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

fryup wrote: »
    anyone here go to a boarding school???

now that must be utter hell if you were bullied in one, cause in regular school you could always escape to the sanctuary of home when the bell rings

didn't go to boarding school, but sure as hell didn't have a sanctuary of a home to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Best days of your life me hole. Even the ****ing teachers didn't want to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

The learning aspect was never a problem for me, although I was quite lazy in secondary school. Primary school was not pleasant, really did not like it. Secondary school was ok but personally was the worst point in my life. I was quite glad to leave secondary school and have never looked back, I also don't speak to anyone that I went to school with. Ironically I wasn't that physically ill as a teenager but I was miserable. Now I'm far more ill but a lot happier. I started college this year after working for a few years and I much prefer it to primary and secondary school, although I don't really go out partying very much so that is not an aspect that appeals to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

No, not really. I have some good memories...but only a few! I think the years before I went to school were the best of my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Feck school, college days were the best, hands down.

You are studying something that you are actually interested in and then there is booze, girls and other miscellaneous stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Why is the sky blue?

The sky is blue due to the reflections of the water and the atmosphere AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Hell no. Much better group of friends now, not as self-conscious as I was in school. I have hair straighteners now (!), and, most importantly, I have my own bank account with my own money which means I can go out and get pissed whenever I want, and do so legally, and am also treated like an adult. I also don't have to call any pompous assholes "miss" or "sir" anymore. Life got an awful lot better once I was out of school.

I think the reason it's viewed as being the best part of your life is because you're free from financial worry, you don't have to work to pay the rent and college and you're also not wondering about how you're going to cover next month's bills. Still, it's worth it for the freedom!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Gawd I hope not. I had some good times and made a few excellent friends, but for the most part I hated school, most of the students in there (bar about 10) and a handful of appalling teachers. I couldn't wait to leave.

I didn't have it too badly, but I was bullied up til about 14 (after which I stopped caring and the bullying stopped). You couldn't pay me to go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

jester77 wrote: »
    Feck school, college days were the best, hands down.

You are studying something that you are actually interested in and then there is booze, girls and other miscellaneous stuff.

Also, I really enjoy the fact that there are rarely disruptive idiots in college because everyone chose to be doing the course, they decided they were going to show up for the lecture that day, unlike in school where there'd be screaming matches between the scangers and the teachers while you're sitting there hoping they're not gonna cause you to fail your exams.

• Advertisement
Advertisement