Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

over paid by agency where do i stand.

Options
  • 06-06-2012 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I got overpaid by a recruitment company I do temping work for when I was on holiday a couple of weeks ago and didn’t realise until I was back in Australia - and it was spent!

I agree that I owe them the money and am willing to pay it back. My query is whether they can decide how much to repay each week or whether we should negotiate what I can afford.

Since the overpayment they have not placed me in a full weeks work, and also have placed me in jobs which were much lower paid – leaving me with hundreds less per week.

My worry is that they will not pay me any wage until this is repaid – the total overpaid is $900.

They are insistent they want it all back before the end of the tax year. I’d like to negotiate paying $100 – 200 back per week,

My query is Is this allowed? Can they dictate the repayment schedule?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Why don't you just leave them and go work for another recruitment company?

Did you sign a contract with them stating how much you would be payed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

They can't withhold any money from you - nor deduct money owing. That can only be done by agreement with you, or by order of a court of law.

If you go to them with a viable payment plan, they should agree to it - otherwise they can go through the legal route if they want, but given $900 is about 2 hours worth of solicitors consulation fees, its unlikely they'd really want to go legal. If they did go legal, you would be liable for their legal fees though.

I'm in a similar position myself at the moment - so have already had legal advice.

Advertisement