Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does everyone think the same way i do?

• 06-06-2012 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I feel like my life is worth something,that i was put on Earth to do something magnificent.

I see other people just going about there lives,playing out each decade the way society expects them to,each day getting close to death.

For me,my life is worth so much more.Im going to be remembered for thousands of years to come,i cant die without leaving my mark.

I am powerful and intelligent,more so than the vast majority of humans on this planet,i live knowing that inside of me the potential to accomplish anything exsists.

Anyone else think in a similar way?

Comments

And you are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yes, everyone thinks the same.

Now you've no need to ever post here again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Is that you Tom? They never could get the stains off Oprah's coach after your antics you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I feel like my life is worth something,that i was put on Earth to do something magnificent.

I see other people just going about there lives,playing out each decade the way society expects them to,each day getting close to death.

For me,my life is worth so much more.Im going to be remembered for thousands of years to come,i cant die without leaving my mark.

I am powerful and intelligent,more so than the vast majority of humans on this planet,i live knowing that inside of me the potential to accomplish anything exsists.

Don't worry they have tablets and electroshock therapy for that.
    Them you'll realise that you're a mere mortal and that within 100 years of your death there won't be a trace of your existence.
    Enjoy every day you have as that's all there is and yore no better than the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Failure to consistently capitalise your 'i's suggests an inferiority complex. What you need is a hug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I knew there was a point to learning this poem for the Inter Cert.
    I met a traveler from an antique land
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    “My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

You'll be okay. It fades with time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Good for you, OP. Just don't involve me in any way. I'm significant in my own (personal) life and those of a few others, that's all I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

You are probably just another shitebag like the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I'll be honest. After reading some of your posts, example: The drunk driving hypothesis (I'd use a better word, but it's 9am. That suggests it was an EDUCATED guess, which it wasn't.) that this all some shape of a hoax. At least, one would hope.

However, I do feel as though you have a very positive outlook. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Sounds like the OP is afraid of death :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a standard part of the mechanism of coming to terms with the fact that you're going to die. The need to be famous and make your mark usually fades by your mid-twenties as you realise that in reality anyone who's famous today will be forgotten about in a hundred years time, and only a very small handful (i.e. less than 100) of the billions of people who will live and die in the next 1000 years will be "remembered" in any meaningful way.
    Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Britney Spears, all just occupying a few lines in a forgotten about article in some archive, their names only known by a handful of obssessive academics.

In 10,000 years practically nobody will be remembered at all.

So forget about "making your mark". Unless you can find a way to write "OMAR WOZ ERE" on the moon in 2km-tell letters, then nobody will remember you. Or me. Or anyone else on boards.

The only real way to make a lasting mark on the planet is to have children. And hope that they continue to procreate.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

In the grand scheme of millions of years of evolution, you are as important to this earth as a worm. btw - worms are very important, they do good work.

Be eternally grateful that you actually got to exist.
    Have you an idea how marvelous that is considering the amount of sperm/eggs that never amounted to anything?

Your mission in life - be happy and hurt no one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

To a certain extent, I have to play out my role in society.
    I have to bring the kids to school, make the dinner, pay the bills and so on.
    But yes, I do also feel like I have more to give than that.
    I am this small little person on this small little island, and there is so much more out there to experience.
    I don't think I am destant to do anything magnificent so to speak, like I don't think I'm Gandhi or anything, but I do think (hope) that I can make a small difference somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

So your a 25 year old apprentice that wanted to go to OZ, you've served in the Irish Defence Forces and your on the Dole?
    Fair play you've accomplished so much in your short time on the planet, were lucky to have you.

To answer your question, no we don't think like you we live in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What are you, an alien?

Everybody gets closer to death every day. Very few people are remembered for anything in particular - we're all just sentient lumps of meat - there is no purpose to our being here other than being here.
    Enjoy your time here, and if you want my advice lay off the i'm all powerfull and wonderful shtick or you'll never get laid!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I believe I have an obligation to do all I can to contribute to society.
    I think I should use any skills and intelligence I have to help anyone I can, not just myself.
    But I think people are powerful in numbers, not as individuals.
    I don't understand hero-worship.

I'm still ambitious but only to put myself in a better position to contribute. I'd like to start my own business so I'm creating jobs rather than taking one from someone else but I'm not innovative enough.
    I probably had more of an ego ten years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Once you're dead, your thoughts perish.

Yes, you can have offspring, but do you remember your great-gandfather, or great-great-grandfather? You're forgotten after two or three generations at most. Sorry to be the bearer of reality OP.

Invent something original and long-lasting, that's your best chance of being remembered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm just here to have a good time, not to focus on how I'll be remembered. Couldn't give a shìte, actually.

Anyone who will remember me will also die out and thus eventually any trace of my existence will be gone. A point will come when it will be like I never existed at all and nobody will even know what my name was or what I looked like.

But that's pure nonsense since I'm never going to die, anyways! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Wow, a real life crazy person.

Look at him there, all crazy 'n' all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Welcome to the internet OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

And you are on the dole waiting for someone to hand you this magnificent thing that you want to be remembered for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I'll just leave this here.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Nope,think quite the opposite actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Beruthiel wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of millions of years of evolution, you are as important to this earth as a worm.
    When you think about it though, people really are the only hope for life on earth before it all goes up in a cloud of smoke, so in aggregate we're a lot more important than worms, assuming you're talking about life itself rather than the ball of rock and water that is the earth.

Individuals may play a lesser or greater role in achieving that salvation, but its impossible to say beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    When you think about it though, people really are the only hope for life on earth before it all goes up in a cloud of smoke, so in aggregate we're a lot more important than worms, assuming you're talking about life itself rather than the ball of rock and water that is the earth.

Individuals may play a lesser or greater role in achieving that salvation, but its impossible to say beforehand.

Not really. We would have to do something really spectacular to destroy all life on earth.

We would have to do something monumental to ensure life on earth for all eternity.

Either way the Earth is just a big spinning loser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    When you think about it though, people really are the only hope for life on earth before it all goes up in a cloud of smoke
    There is a lot more time for the evolution of another more intelligent sentient species on this planet. We're the only hope at the moment, which in reality is nothing more than the blinking of a geological eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

People who think like that often end going to a school/college/island with an automatic rifle and do something magnificent that they think will make them immortal.

On the other hand lots of politicians think like that too with equally disastrous results. Wars, famines, oppression. I'm sure many is the soldier in war who believed he was put on Earth for something, just before he was blown into a million pieces by an artillery shell. Now his purpose is to be a sort of compost.

For the most part people who actually do something magnificent and get remembered for it are simply getting on with their lives. Whether they invent the Iphone or simply like my Mother who brought up six children under difficult circumstances. Now that's magnificent.

A lot of people think like you at some stage. But you soon realise it's an illusion.

Just enjoy your life, it won't last very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Whats the point of having people remember you when your dead. Your too dead to appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

xflyer wrote: »
    People who think like that often end going to a school/college/island with an automatic rifle and do something magnificent that they think will make them immortal.

On the other hand lots of politicians think like that too with equally disastrous results. Wars, famines, oppression. I'm sure many is the soldier in war who believed he was put on Earth for something, just before he was blown into a million pieces by an artillery shell. Now his purpose is to be a sort of compost.

For the most part people who actually do something magnificent and get remembered for it are simply getting on with their lives. Whether they invent the Iphone or simply like my Mother who brought up six children under difficult circumstances. Now that's magnificent.

A lot of people think like you at some stage. But you soon realise it's an illusion.

Just enjoy your life, it won't last very long.

In the next few years scientists will discover how to lenghten life spans considerably or even allow us to live forever.

Ok so thats probaly wishful thinking,but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

As soon as I locate some batteries that will fit my Magnificential Planetary Dominatifier we'll see who'll be magnificent. You will all wallow in my magnificence and such will be its fantasticness that you will all be scrambling for to invent a word more magnificent than magnificent to describe my....well magnificence*.

*Apologies, English is not my forté. Anyone know where I can get batteries that would be bigger than a D size but square like a 9 volt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

In the next few years scientists will discover how to lenghten life spans considerably or even allow us to live forever.

Ok so thats probaly wishful thinking,but you never know.

Why on earth would anyone want to live forever? IMO, that is a fate worse than the most painful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

I don't really get this, you say your main aim in life is to be remembered by us the people, therefore getting our approval and making some kinda impression on me/us is very important to your overall plan, then you go on and say you're more intelligent than the most of us. Would being remembered by a bunch of apes not be good enough for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

Sounds like you found some coke left over from the Celtic tiger and decided to have a sniff for old times sake. Rehab - - - - ->>>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I think you've confused thinking with feeling there OP. Note how you ask if anyone thinks like you in the thread title, but begin your post with "I feel."

Everyone feels like that to some extent. We're all somewhat self-centred; it's hard not to be as we can only ever really see the world from our point of view.
    We all can't help but feel we're more important than we actually are, at times at least. Yet very few people consciously think we're so important to the world.

You seem to have expanded this feeling and taken it on as the basis for your worldview, either consciously or otherwise.
    I'm assuming you're quite young, and you'll grow out of it.

That being said, if you do grasp control of society in the post-apocalyptic wasteland, feel free to consider me for your first lieutenant. I'll be completely loyal and very good at rooting out traitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

seamus wrote: »
    There is a lot more time for the evolution of another more intelligent sentient species on this planet. We're the only hope at the moment, which in reality is nothing more than the blinking of a geological eye.
    Its been a half billion years since complex life forms first made an appearance in the Cambrian explosion. So far there has only been one (1) sentient species in all that time, and that's us.

There's maybe another billion years of habitable time left on the earth, of this we are sure, barring any other major and unforeseen disasters along the way. Given how long it took for the bizarre combination of circumstance and happenstance needed for sentience to make an appearance in the first place, do you really like those odds?

Sorry folks, we really are the guardians of Eden, although some take offence at the idea for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The only way to be remembered for a very very long time is to be a maniac of biblical proportions. I mean you'd need to make hitler seem like bambi. People remember bad people, things, disasters. You'd need to wipe out a whole race or sink a country or something and then you'll be remembered.
    OP I think you're destined to be a serial killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Can you lick your own elbows?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Unless your name is Hitler, Einstein or Jesus, you will be forgotten.

And even they'll be forgotten eventually too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

That being said, if you do grasp control of society in the post-apocalyptic wasteland, feel free to consider me for your first lieutenant. I'll be completely loyal and very good at rooting out traitors.

:pac::pac: Littlefinger, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    :pac::pac: Littlefinger, is that you?

I won't say here: the spider has little sparrows everywhere: who knows who might be listening? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

"I feel like my life is worth something,that i was put on Earth to do something magnificent.

I am powerful and intelligent,more so than the vast majority of humans on this planet,i live knowing that inside of me the potential to accomplish anything exsists." ~ Adolf Hitler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

i was put on Earth to do something magnificent.

We both have Mars in our username. Are you from Mars too? If so I would very much like to become your sidekick. You can contact me via PM or we can initiate seismic anal greetings.

Advertisement