Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you agree with "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

• 06-06-2012 9:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

I disagree just like in the Simpsons

Ladies - would you like a bouquet of roses if they were called stinkbuds or crapweeds

would you like a box of chocs if they were called skuz drops

and a bottle of wine that was called cat piss

so basically it's say valentines and your partner has just gotten you :

a bouquet of stinkbuds
    a box of skuz drops
    a bottle of cat piss

Do you agree with the above saying : "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

I don't, ok - the smell would stay the same but who would want a bouquet of stink buds.

Do Discuss

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so you admit it would smell as good, you just wouldn't like them

that says more about you than it does about roses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The smell remains the same- only the perception has changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

efb wrote: »

If you perceive something to not smell as good as something else then it doesn't to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

What the...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

...not if they were called 'crap blossoms'.

Also, do your own damn homework/studying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_rose_by_any_other_name_would_smell_as_sweet

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

efb wrote: »

are you saying the name of something & the smell it gives off are inter-twined at the molecular level ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

well what if it was to go the other way?

would you appreciate a steaming pile of shit more if it was called honey-flowers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    are you saying the name of something & the smell it gives off are inter-twined at the molecular level ?

He is saying that the human perception of something is affected by the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Well I don't really like the smell of roses that much.
    So I'm going to use chocolate - because I loves chocolate.
    If chocolate were to be called big smelly vagina, I wouldn't give a hootananny.
    I would still love it's taste, it's aroma, it's essence.
    Mmm... big smelly vagina.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Well I don't really like the smell of roses that much.
    So I'm going to use chocolate - because I loves chocolate.
    If chocolate were to be called big smelly vagina, I wouldn't give a hootananny.
    I would still love it's taste, it's aroma, it's essence.
    Mmm... big smelly vagina.

Well to be fair I would also dive into a box of vagina.
    What if the box of chocolates were called penis cheese instead ??

I'd dive into a box of vagina but don't like the ring of the penis cheese myself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I know a girl called Rose who's personal hygiene is questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Well to clear all this up a bit smell, more so than any other sense, is linked to the parts of the brain that process emotion and associative learning. The olfactory bulb in the brain, which sorts sensation into perception, is part of the limbic system a system that includes the amygdala and hippocampus, structures vital to our behavior, mood and memory. A smell can bring on a flood of memories, influence people's moods and even affect their work performance. Because the olfactory bulb is part of the brain's limbic system, an area so closely associated with memory and feeling it's sometimes called the "emotional brain," smell can call up memories and powerful responses almost instantaneously.
    The olfactory bulb has intimate access to the amygdala, which processes emotion, and the hippocampus, which is responsible for associative learning. Despite the tight wiring, however, smells would not trigger memories if it weren't for conditioned responses. When you first smell a new scent, you link it to an event, a person, a thing or even a moment. Your brain forges a link between the smell and a memory -- associating the smell of chlorine with summers at the pool or lilies with a funeral. When you encounter the smell again, the link is already there, ready to elicit a memory or a mood. Chlorine might call up a specific pool-related memory or simply make you feel content. Lilies might agitate you without your knowing why. This is part of the reason why not everyone likes the same smells. Therefor if roses were called crap blossoms people may not think they smell nice and so the actual smell would appear bad to them.
    Researchers have found that cognition significantly influences the perception of smell. A psychologist at the University of Oxford labeled an ambiguous Brie-like scent as either "cheddar cheese" or "body odor." Test subjects rated the odor higher when it was labeled cheddar cheese. MRIs even showed more activity in the olfactory region of the brain when subjects believed they were smelling cheeseResearchers have found that cognition significantly influences the perception of smell. A psychologist at the University of Oxford labeled an ambiguous Brie-like scent as either "cheddar cheese" or "body odor." Test subjects rated the odor higher when it was labeled cheddar cheese. MRIs even showed more activity in the olfactory region of the brain when subjects believed they were smelling cheese.
    It is not then a huge leap to say that two plants one labled rose and another labled crap blossoms might provide similar results.

TLDR: Shakespeare was a hack who should have done more research on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Well to be fair I would also dive into a box of vagina.
    What if the box of chocolates were called penis cheese instead ??

I'd dive into a box of vagina but don't like the ring of the penis cheese myself...

Well it can be smelly knob smeg for you.
    Because to me personally, a big smelly hairy vagina is just gross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

:eek:
    Penises and vaginas after only a few posts.
    Where can ye go from here?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I know a girl called Rose who's personal hygiene is questionable.
    have you tried calling her names ?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

I dont like the smell of Roses....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Rose is just a random set of letter which we assign meaning too. The world would not be different if rose and poo where switched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I disagree just like in the Simpsons

Ladies - would you like a bouquet of roses if they were called stinkbuds or crapweeds

would you like a box of chocs if they were called skuz drops

and a bottle of wine that was called cat piss

so basically it's say valentines and your partner has just gotten you :

a bouquet of stinkbuds
    a box of skuz drops
    a bottle of cat piss

Do you agree with the above saying : "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

I don't, ok - the smell would stay the same but who would want a bouquet of stink buds.

Do Discuss

Now tbh when I am given flowers and/or chocolates I am not given them and told "Here is a bunch of what I am informed are roses and/or *MilkTray".

Instead they would be handed to me with a nervous yet cheeky 'look-I-doing something out of my comfort zone here' kinda look! The flowers and chocolates are self-explained in their being and appreciated by me as such :)

Would I treat the person any different if I was given the above but they are referred to by another name by where-ever they were purchased? No I would not. They are what they are, and the fact that someone went out of their comfort-zone to give them to me is what I remember most, over the name of flower and/or brand of chocolates.

Advertisement