Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Oxigen waste collection

Options
  • 06-06-2012 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Anyone else having problems with Oxigen bin collections? I'm looking at moving to another provider at this stage, but need to have a prepayment refunded first.

I have been with Oxigen in Dublin since January and would NOT recommend them to anyone.

My most recent problem with Oxigen:

My bins (both) were due for collection last Friday. I left them out on Thursday night (as they request them to be left out between 6am and 10pm). They were not collected on Friday.
    I rang their office on Saturday morning and left a voicemail asking when my bins would be collected.
    They called me back on Tuesday morning and let me know that one of their trucks had broken down and that my bins would be collected that day (Tuesday).
    My bins were not collected on Tuesday, so I called them to ask when they would be collected and how I could get my prepaid money refunded so that I could transfer my business elsewhere. They let me know that my bins will now be collected tomorrow (Thursday - seven days after collection due date!) and that they would call me back later today regarding my account.

I will update.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

This is called life - sh1t happens, get on with it. If you let little things like this affect you, then you need to chill out a little.

If you go about changing supplier on everything everytime someone makes an error or something goes wrong, you'll be doing it full time.

I still fly aerlingus & ryanair even though I've had delays and cancellations over the years. I still use realex even though they had an 8 hour outage and effectively rendered my business as closed last Friday fortnight. I still use AES even though they didn;t collect from me for 3 weeks ina row becasue they had a tem driver who forgot about the lane way.

That's life - its not perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭schqually

sandin wrote: »
    I still fly aerlingus & ryanair even though I've had delays and cancellations over the years. I still use realex even though they had an 8 hour outage and effectively rendered my business as closed last Friday fortnight. I still use AES even though they didn;t collect from me for 3 weeks ina row becasue they had a tem driver who forgot about the lane way.

I hear you loud and clear Sandin, and that's generally the view I take myself. I'm finding it harder this time though, because this is not the first time it's happened in a short period of time and also because I had never experienced any problems with Dublin City Council collections over a six year period.

I've got close to three weeks worth of nappies from two kids sitting outside the front door now - not what anyone wants when the temperatures start to rise... :eek:

I'm not getting the service I paid for, and I'm not one for putting up with that when I can see a pattern start to develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Although things certainly go wrong, not changing supplier or never complaining is only validating and encouraging bad service and bad customer service. AES were the pits and I changed to Whelans - no bother at all since then and cheaper.

sandin wrote: »
    This is called life - sh1t happens, get on with it. If you let little things like this affect you, then you need to chill out a little.

If you go about changing supplier on everything everytime someone makes an error or something goes wrong, you'll be doing it full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

schqually wrote: »

My bins (both) were due for collection last Friday. I left them out on Thursday night (as they request them to be left out between 6am and 10pm). They were not collected on Friday.

This happened to me too. I rang them on Tues morning from work and they said they would be out on Tues but I didn't have my bins out on the footpath, just inside my pillar, so they said they'd be back on Thur. However, when I got home Tues they had emptied the bins for me, so I was happy.

I did mention that they should have text messaged affected customers, since they already have this facility available to them.

I'm not a customer long, so I'm going to hold out and see how they perform.

Don't forget that oxigen recently introduced a €50 service cancellation fee..... Sneaky and i am really pissed about it. However they happen to provide a good service despite the very odd missed collection.

• Advertisement

Derekeire: However they happen to provide a good service despite the very odd missed collection.

Wsih I could agree:confused:
    I don't mind a missed collection here and there, but can't understand why after a whole week they still haven't collected.

Java: This happened to me too. I rang them on Tues morning from work and they said they would be out on Tues but I didn't have my bins out on the footpath, just inside my pillar, so they said they'd be back on Thur. However, when I got home Tues they had emptied the bins for me, so I was happy.

That sound fairly reasonable Java - thanks for posting. I don't think I'd have much of a problem if they had done the same for me.

Oxigen let me know that they would pick the bins up today and also apply two weeks credit to my account. I'll believe it when I see it.

So, they turned up on Thursday and picked the bins up (a week late in the end).
    I hope that this is the end of the problem for me. Next collection due in a few days... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

So your policy now is to forgive one failure in service, but keep the situation under review? That seems reasonable to me. Further, if they mess up again, and you feel constrained to change service provider, I think you would have a very case to be excused the cancellation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Vtwin

Received a letter from Oxigen today advising me of
    a new concept that will help save the environment.
    Basically from this Friday they will only be collecting
    my black bin every 2 weeks!.
    They will provide customers with 5 bin tags that can be attached to black bags so customers can get used to this new initiative.
    I paid up in march for 1 year for a service to have my bin collected weekly.
    The letter does not mention anything about a refund even though this is a fundamental change to the core service being offered.
    I easily fill a black bin on a weekly basis, and fortnightly collections does not compute.
    Will be onto this shower first thing tomorrow and will be looking for a refund.
    Just wondering if they are trying this all over or just Louth.
    Letter made it sound that this was the best thing ever.

I got the same letter.

In this house, we try to be kind to the environment, so it's not a problem. Most weeks, we don't leave the black bin out at all. Why not try to work towards reducing your landfill waste?

• Advertisement

You must have a green bin? They recently gave us a brown bin and changed our black bin to a fortnightly collection.
    Most times my black bin is barely full when collected. Just make sure to recycle properly.

You must have a green bin?
    Yes. It gets much more stuff than the black bin.
    They recently gave us a brown bin and changed our black bin to a fortnightly collection.
    You are better catered for than we are in the north-east!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fothnightly Black Bin sounds fair. Our family of 4 only fills a black bin every 5 or 6 weeks. The Green and Brown bins take most of the waste nowadays, along with the bottle bank and garden composter.

I prefer the notion of pay per lift and find tags a much better option. I only pay for a lift of the black bin every 6 weeks.

My issue is with the way they are introducing it. I paid circa 300 in march (in advance) to have my black bin collected weekly. Now 3 months in they have significantly lowered the service they are providing.

Vtwin wrote: »
    My issue is with the way they are introducing it. I paid circa 300 in march (in advance) to have my black bin collected weekly. Now 3 months in they have significantly lowered the service they are providing.
    Find out if there are any other providers in your area and go to them. Ask oxigen for a partial refund and to waive the cancellation fee as they have changed the service for which you signed up for.

Vtwin wrote: »
    I'll give you that point, no argument.

Rang oxigen today. Turns out I paid €376 in March.
    I requested a refund, and stated that I was intending to find an alternative provider. They said that they do not offer refunds. I argued the case, and they stated that their terms and conditions does not stipulate the frequency of service. They are going to fwd me a set of the T&c's.
    No brown bin available in this area.
    They did offer me a credit of €106 on my account, no refund though, or the option of an additional 120 ltr black bin.
    So going to take the additional black bin.
    Will review the T&c's when I get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

The same happened to me.
    I have the the small black bin and struggle to fill it in the two weeks, they are also now collecting the green bin biweekly instead of monthly, which for me at least works as it fills quickly.
    There are four of us in the house.
    I have to wonder why you have so much rubbish, do you not have the option of the green bin? did they not increase its collection frequency?
    maybe a very large family?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dmitry Karamazov

I just recently joined Oxigen and I can only describe their service as woeful. Would NOT recommend them to anyone. I have to continuously ring them to get them to collect our bins, they never do it of their own volition. You know, when you pay for a service, you expect to get something back in return! I'd say in the 5 weeks i've been with the company, they've collected the bins only twice and only after calling them up multiple times. I called them last week asking to have our bins collected. they assured me they would be on a certain day and then never did. The Service is a JOKE! I am going to make a complaint about them to the National Consumer Association.

Dmitry, same happened to me again 1 1/2 weeks ago.
    I have decided that I will change companies when my current prepayment runs out with them.
    Same problem every few collections...

I rang them this morning about the last missed collection. I asked them if they had many calls re missed collections. They said that they were genereally "pretty spot-on" with their collections. I let them know that due to my dissatisfaction, I started this thread (now with over 1,600 views). They didn't seem to care.

I don't have the energy to try to get my prepaid balance back from them, so will just let it run down and change in January.
    :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement