Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who Do You Think Is The Most Famous person in the world

• 06-06-2012 9:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Who Do You Think Is The Most Famous person in the world :

Exemptions :

Jesus
    Santa
    "Actually, all fictional characters..."

Rules:

cannot be a fictional character - eg - Santa, Jesus, easter bunny etc...
    they don't have to be alive right now, so could be Elvis

Please say who you think and give a reason

For example they say that the Coca Cola sign is known by 99% of humans, 1% will not recognise the symbol. I am wondering if products are more famous than people these days

I am going to say Hitler because I think everyone knows who he is, across the whole world but I am unsure if the far east would know who he is at all.

Anyway - thoughts..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sadly at the mo', Beiber is up there somewhere in the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You do know that Jesus wasn't a fictional character? Well, according to most modern historians anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Jedward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Yeah, I'm going to still go with Jesus.
    Fairly sure he was a real person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Bill Gates - Everyone knows Bill gates, Even if you dont know hes retired for years everyone knows that Bill runs Microsoft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Instead of someone who's really well known somewhere, maybe someone who's just regularly famous everywhere. Isn't someone like Jackie Chan real famous all over Asia as well as the West? So is that it? Jackie Chan? The most famous person in the world? Good to know.

But what about Africa? Who's famous there that's famous here? John Fashanu maybe? He presents Deal or No Deal Nigeria you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Mark Zuckerberg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I am the most famous person in my world. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Albert Einstein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Definitely Hitler.

Apart from him, of those famous for less vile reasons the odds would suggest some chinese or indian movie star or similar who we've most likely never heard of. That or jedward!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ryan Tubridy.

They'll be talking about him for a millenia, especially how he accidently initiated the robot uprising of 2017 and doomed mankind.

The bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Julius Caesar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Jesus. He was a real person. Whether or not he was really the son of "God" though is a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Hitler and the queen.

I think KeithM89 is a legend in the cyberworld of boards:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Barack Osama Bin Laden.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Samantha mumba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Elvis

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Your ma. Every time I go online I keep reading about her and her exploits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

If they had to be a living person it would be a very tough question.

I agree with Hitler, Stalin; all the baddies get remembered.
    Mother Teresa not so much. :o

Jesus and Muhammad are the most famous goodies.
    Though baddies use them to justify things a lot.

Demonstrates the dangers of fame. Someday people will die for Lady Gaga. She's like, totally inspirational and completely life-changing. She's like, changed the world. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The Pope?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Nu-Centz

Kim Kardashian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Instead of someone who's really well known somewhere, maybe someone who's just regularly famous everywhere. Isn't someone like Jackie Chan real famous all over Asia as well as the West? So is that it? Jackie Chan? The most famous person in the world? Good to know.

But what about Africa? Who's famous there that's famous here? John Fashanu maybe? He presents Deal or No Deal Nigeria you know.

I've been to Kenya, where they play Westlife CDs in shopping centres and have never heard of anything by U2. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Demba Ba

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Nelson Mandella ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Brendan Kilkenny

gavredking wrote: »
    The Pope?

That word "The Pope" is famous

& the only reason I know his name is because he has had the same name for the last 1000 years.

It's as if you can't be pope if your name isn't benedict

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Drogba?? Desmond Tutu? Mugabe? Gadaffi? Mogly from the Jungle Book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Chuck Norris

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Oprah winfrey
    bono
    obama

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

In fairness, it's surely the Queen of England.

However this is After Hours so...Rick Astley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Mao Zedong and Joe Duffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Gotta be Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

In fairness, it's surely the Queen of England.
    She's probably just known in English speaking countries. I only found out the other day that there's a king of Spain.

What about the Dalai Lama? Or your man Kim Jong Il.
    No, maybe still, Michael Jackson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Most famous living person has got to be Obama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Colonel Saunders
    Mr Muscle
    Uncle Ben
    Ronald McDonald

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The queen of England has had her face on British stamps coins etc for 60 years and is accepted to be the most recognisable person in the world. Certainly that's alive today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Yeah, I'm going to still go with Jesus.
    Fairly sure he was a real person.

but it's the myth surrounding him that's famous, not the person himself. The actual person clearly was not the son of god and clearly did not rise from the grave, turn his blood into wine etc.
    On that basis I'd disallow him as the fictional element of his character are far far more famous than the actual flesh and blood person.

by sheer volume of numbers it must be someone who's massively famous in Asia, if anyone is equally know and famous in China and India there's a third of the worlds pop covered.

Probably the American president though, whoever he may be at the time. Every region seems to have some reason to know who he is, 1st world is a given, middle east as the tyrannical evil leader of the west, India/China etc as evil corporate consumerism capitalism icon and so forth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    That word "The Pope" is famous

& the only reason I know his name is because he has had the same name for the last 1000 years.

It's as if you can't be pope if your name isn't benedict

lol, where do you get this stuff from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Adolf Hitler

Everyone knows Hitler, it always comes back to Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

100% barack obama :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think KeithM89 is a legend in the cyberworld of boards:D
    Never heard of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

but it's the myth surrounding him that's famous, not the person himself. The actual person clearly was not the son of god and clearly did not rise from the grave, turn his blood into wine etc.
    On that basis I'd disallow him as the fictional element of his character are far far more famous than the actual flesh and blood person.

He's still famous though, nonetheless.
    I'm sure there are fictitious stories surrounding many famous people.
    Granted, maybe not quite so many.
    But still, it doesn't stop Jesus from being famous - whatever he did or didn't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

General Mao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Mr Bean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Jester252 wrote: »
    General Mao

Chairman?

lol, where do you get this stuff from?

Hey - what was the pope's name before the current pope took over, and the one before that, and before that

Benedict the 947th
    Benedict the 946th
    Benedict the 945th

and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Amazing how people pick their own culture to think of the most famous.

The Pope....famous in Christian circles but would he be in islamic countries? THe leader of Islam is not famous here.

Speak to Indians and they have never heard of U2 or know any Elvis songs.

My wife had never heard of John Wayne.

I think unfortunately that England's Queen might be the most famous (for doing nothiing!) living person as well as Barack Obama.

Hitler I'd say is most famous dead person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

gavredking wrote: »
    The Pope?
    ball wrote: »
    She's probably just known in English speaking countries. I only found out the other day that there's a king of Spain.

What about the Dalai Lama? Or your man Kim Jong Il.
    No, maybe still, Michael Jackson

These are not people's name, so which ones?

Currantly living I would say the most recognisable face is probably Queen Elizabeth II

Other possibilities, Elvis, Jacko, Sinatra, Bin Laden, Arnie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

[QUOTE=Cookie_Monster;79053293]but it's the myth surrounding him that's famous, not the person himself. The actual person clearly was not the son of god and clearly did not rise from the grave, turn his blood into wine etc.

by sheer volume of numbers it must be someone who's massively famous in Asia, if anyone is equally know and famous in China and India there's a third of the worlds pop covered.

Probably the American president though, whoever he may be at the time. Every region seems to have some reason to know who he is, 1st world is a given, middle east as the tyrannical evil leader of the west, India/China etc as evil corporate consumerism capitalism icon and so forth[/QUOTE]

So Jesus isn't famous because it's only what others made of him that's famous, not the person himself, but the position of the US president somehow does count, without even naming the individual?

You say Jesus isn't famous as a person, but because of his 'supposed' deeds, then how does the US president count as famous for his 'supposed' deeds as a tyrant, consumerist icon etc. ?

Kolido wrote: »
    These are not people's name, so which ones?

Currantly living I would say the most recognisable face is probably Queen Elizabeth II

Other possibilities, Elvis, Jacko, Sinatra, Bin Laden, Arnie?

Yeah - that's a good list, I like Arnie as well.

also :

Nelson Mandella

Al Pacino
    - ?

but the question here is who is the most famous ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement