Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who Do You Think Is The Most Famous person in the world

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Einstein
    Gandhi
    Hitler
    Queen Elizabeth II

And sorry but like it or not; Jesus, God

And not specifc names but the positions of:

The President Of The US
    Dalai Lama
    The Pope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

And sorry but like it or not; Jesus, God
    Who Do You Think Is The Most Famous person in the world

So God's a mere person now too?! =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Michael Jackson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Yeah - that's a good list, I like Arnie as well.

also :

Nelson Mandella

Al Pacino
    - ?

but the question here is who is the most famous ?

Again what is the criteria, Most famous of all time?, fictional?, do they have to be recognised by both name and face.

Are we talking about the number of people in the world today who would know this person,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Kolido wrote: »
    Again what is the criteria, Most famous of all time?, fictional?, do they have to be recognised by both name and face.

Are we talking about the number of people in the world today who would know this person,

Criteria is as stated :

don't have to be alive, can be from anytime
    recognised we will say by name & face but preferably name
    I'll accept job roles such as Pope, president of USA etc.
    I would rather exclude Jesus in this thread / religious characters

we are talking about the number of people living right now that would know this person by the criteria above.

My List is as follows ( in no order ) :

President of America - ( although, this isn't a person )
    Dali Lama
    Nelson Mandella
    Queen Elizabeth
    Bill Gates
    Michael Jackson
    The pope
    Adolf Hitler
    Joeseph Stalin
    Albert Einstein
    Julias Caesar

we need to refine this list and then somehow vote on who's the most famous, can a poll be added once we have the users or will a mod have to do this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I'm going with Pope John Paul II for this one. 25 years or so of heading up around 1 billion catholics. He travelled a fair bit of the world, and had the good grace not to die from being shot in a few of those places, which is going to push your face out to even more viewers.

EDIT - according to wikipedia he visited 129 countries during his time as pope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

harney wrote: »
    I'm going with Pope John Paul II for this one. 25 years or so of heading up around 1 billion catholics. He travelled a fair bit of the world, and had the good grace not to die from being shot in a few of those places, which is going to push your face out to even more viewers.

Never heard of him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ms.M wrote: »
    If they had to be a living person it would be a very tough question.

I agree with Hitler, Stalin; all the baddies get remembered.
    Mother Teresa not so much. :o

Jesus and Muhammad are the most famous goodies.
    Though baddies use them to justify things a lot.

not the saint shes made out to be by any means.

Before his death, Michael Jackson.

now? probably someone like Tom Cruise, everyone knows who he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Walt Disney must be there or there abouts.
    Shakespeare would be up there too.
    Oh and John, Paul, Ringo and George.

Edit 2: Neil Armstrong springs to mind as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I think KeithM89 is a legend in the cyberworld of boards:D

Keithm89 is my boardsie buddy now :D

now hopefully he won't keep red carding me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Walt Disney must be there or there abouts.
    Shakespeare would be up there too.
    Oh and John, Paul, Ringo and George.

Mickey Mouse yeah, Disney himself probably not so much, famous name but most people wouldnt know what he even looked like. I know someone who didnt realise Walt Disney was a real person she thought it was just the name of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 nympho

Che Guevara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

dalai lama

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Muhammad Ali - Instantly recognisable, worldwide.

Ok if we're including job tiltes then usa president and the pope will be high up the list. But I wouldn't say that the current holders of these posts are more famous than the persons before them.

Other notable mentions;

Bruce Lee
    Madonna
    Neil Armstrong
    Princess Diana
    Tiger Woods
    Genghis Khan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Michael Jackson.

Definitely him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I bet that we - as Europeans - wouldn't have even heard of the most famous person in the world.

Given that China and India represent about 19% and 17% of the world's population, respectively, against Europe's 10% and USA's 4%, the most famous person in the world is probably this guy or a Bollywood star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Muhammad or Jesus. Both lived, wether you believe in what they preached or not is another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd say Elvis or the pope (any of them but particularly the last one, John Paul)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Fame is fickle and changing and in the end a lie ........."ahhh but that's not the whole story" or " It did'nt really happen that way" or " His private life was a mess and so was his health " or "She was often coked " many many accounts of the tatty and tacky world of any fame and some should read notorious instead . Gold paint .
    The popular version of anything is always nonsense i live by that truism .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Used to be Michael Jackson before he died but i'll say a lot of people around the world would still know who he is.

George Bush is probably there too as he started all the wars n everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Larry Murphy has been getting around the world lately.

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    I bet that we - as Europeans - wouldn't have even heard of the most famous person in the world.

Given that China and India represent about 19% and 17% of the world's population, respectively, against Europe's 10% and USA's 4%, the most famous person in the world is probably this guy or a Bollywood star.

Yes he would be famous to a large population but outside of China he would be relativley unknown, whereas the us president for example would be known to quite a few Chinese people.

William Shatner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Sportsperson such as Lionel Messi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

but it will probably be a celebrity like Angelina Jolie or Victoria Beckham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

RVP 11 wrote: »
    William Shatner

I can get behind that! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Muhammad Ali

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Kolido wrote: »
    Yes he would be famous to a large population but outside of China he would be relativley unknown, whereas the us president for example would be known to quite a few Chinese people.

The majority of China and India's population are peasant farmers who wouldn't know who Barack Obama is. Even those who live in China's cities - thanks to the government's censoring of the internet - would have reasonably limited knowledge of the West.

I reckon that Osama Bin Laden might well be a contender for world's most famous person. It's not going to be an American actor or European sports person; it'll be someone who's well-known in Asia or the Middle East but who is also familiar to Europe and USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Dudess

Or Osama Bin Laden (he's not actually dead - see Conspiricy theories forum)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

I vote for hitler

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I don't think it would be Jesus, the whole world is by no means Christian. I'd wager more have heard of Plato or Socrates in fairness.

The majority of China and India's population are peasant farmers who wouldn't know who Barack Obama is. Even those who live in China's cities - thanks to the government's censoring of the internet - would have reasonably limited knowledge of the West.

I reckon that Osama Bin Laden might well be a contender for world's most famous person. It's not going to be an American actor or European sports person; it'll be someone who's well-known in Asia or the Middle East but who is also familiar to Europe and USA.

While I do agree with what your saying, I still reckon the us president would be more recognisible worldwide than the Chinese Premier.

China and India with their high pop % are throwing this survey way off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

darragh16 wrote: »
    Adolf Hitler

Everyone knows Hitler, it always comes back to Hitler.

Yeah maybe for us in the west but not for the majority of people in the world. Europe, the US, Canada, NZ and Oz only represent about 1 billion people, the rest of the world is 6 billion and growing.

Hitler may be important to us but to your average commoner on the streets in Asia, Africa, Central or South America he has long since been forgotten about (in fact the average 18-35 yr old in those continents would harely have a fleeting knowledge of him- WW2 history isn't exactly high on their agenda in schools)

In answering who the most famous person in the world is I would say that it has to be a pop star, purely because they tour countries in the developing world and when they bring their big razzamatazz shows to populous places like India (900m people) Indonesia (200m) and Brazil (200m) it is national news for a few days.

With that in mind I'd say the most famous person in the world is Michael Jackson. He had fans in every country and when he died there was hardly a person who didn't know who he was. He is also one of the few people who transcends every continent in the world - whereas there are Hollywood stars who are unheard of in China/India there are also lots of Bollywood stars unheard of in Europe /US. But Michael Jackson was truly known on every continent in the world and to a massive extent in populous places like China/India/South America as well as being instantly recognisable in the US & Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

based on the way she carried on the late late show's 50th anniversery show last week i believe Twink thinks she is the most famous person in the world and has the right to talk over the host and all other guests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

bamboozle wrote: »
    based on the way she carried on the late late show's 50th anniversery show last week i believe Twink thinks she is the most famous person in the world and has the right to talk over the host and all other guests.

Ah sh1t, I forgot about Twink, scrap my thoughts on Michael Jackson :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I actually think if there was a worldwide survey done more people would recognise David Beckham than Obama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

Brangelina would be up there, prob well know in Africa too from the beware of kiddie snatcher posters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Icy tea or snoopy snoopy dog dog probably

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Ficheall wrote: »
    Never heard of him.
    Shame on you Ficheall, KeithM89 is a king among mods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Fame is an unreasonable accounting of success as these days scientists are releasing new theories and groundbreaking innovations without much recognition and largely forgotten the next week, while some celebrities continue to be famous solely for being famous while contributing absolutely nothing to the world.

Edit: most quoted person in the world: Dan Castellaneta, AKA Homer J. Simpson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

ken saro wiwa
    jesse owens
    ali
    neil armstrong

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Bono. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Ficheall wrote: »
    Never heard of him.
    Shame on you Ficheall, KeithM89 is a king among mods!

oi fichell Keith is my buddy now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Sylvester stallone First blood travelled well

as did Arnold Schwartzenegger movies

it has to be dali lama

The chinese know him the Indians know of him and the west know of him that is a fair amount of the population of the christian world know of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Genghis Khan

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nobbynacks

John Smith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Still living and famous in places like China and India(36 percent of world's population) probably Madonna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Barack Obama would have to be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Hitler or Bob Marley

• Advertisement
Advertisement