Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's eating my veg?

Options
  • 06-06-2012 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

ok, basically i'm fairly new to gardening have a little polytunne and have raised beds (on stilts) in my tunnel, the ground is hardcored with rough stones. The last couple of days i've noticed several holes in some of my plants but all in the centre of the leaves not on the edges as if it's slug damage. I've checked the leaves and can't find any bugs on them so not sure what it could be, any ideas?? Seems to be mainly the aubergine and chilli plants that have been munched on, all salads tomatoes and squash seems fine so far.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

green fly or carrot flys perhaps???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I don't think they'd make munch holes though would they? I would say it is slugs. Have you tried a few pellets? You could stand the legs of your raised beds in containers filled with salted water. Slugs and snails could crawl up, have a munch and retire for the day easily. But they wont crawl into salt water :) They might also be hiding in the raised bed soil so if you have no problem using pellets you could try a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pepperpixie

yup i'm at a loss to be honest, will try take a picture later. Really would be surprised if it's slugs, the edges of the plants not touched at all just the centre of the leaves. The soil from in the raised beds is all compost manure etc from bags so don't think they were in their, and for them to come into the tunnel they would have to slither along all the rough stones, have looked for green fly etc and can't see any!! Have seen many different types of flies and spiders in there alright, any of them likely to eat plants??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭brno

You have slugs!!!! They could be in the clay.They sometimes go for inside leaves as they are more tender.Use pellets,every other remedy just slows them down, the pellets stop them completely.By the way,thats a super tunnel,homemade?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Nice setup there! If it's not slugs it could also be caterpillars. Check each plant carefully as they can blend in with the foliage. If it's any consolation mine are getting chomped a bit too. Am using a few pellets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pepperpixie

thanks guys, nope wish it was a home made tunnel then i wouldn't have had to remortgage the house to pay for it ha ha. Disgusted it's slugs, guess they must have been hiding in the bags of compost :( Will get some pellets so. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

very nice polytunnel - well done, grand job.
    The small holes could be vine weevil.

Best advice I can give you is order supernemo (nemo.ie) a broad spectrum nematode pest control made right here in Ireland

Advertisement