Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loading to youtube

Options
  • 06-06-2012 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I shot some video footage on my Canon 500D at the weekend and I want to upload it to youtube to share with family. I have a you tube account so off I went to start uploading. The first clip I went to upload was 3 minutes long and when the upload started it said 257 minutes to load!!! Is this the norm for youtube? Is their a quicker way? I tried Vimo but they have upload limit which the clip was too big for. The file is 596MB.

Not up to speed with video and file size of video clips but surely there is a quicker method of sharing these clips!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

596MB is a very large video file. What broadband connection do you have? You'd need something with a decent upload speed. For any Dsl broadband your upload is generally one eighth the speed of your download.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

I shot some video footage on my Canon 500D at the weekend and I want to upload it to youtube to share with family. I have a you tube account so off I went to start uploading. The first clip I went to upload was 3 minutes long and when the upload started it said 257 minutes to load!!! Is this the norm for youtube? Is their a quicker way? I tried Vimo but they have upload limit which the clip was too big for. The file is 596MB.

Not up to speed with video and file size of video clips but surely there is a quicker method of sharing these clips!

Thanks

596mB??? For that size, I would just post then DVD copies.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I'm all for being friendly & helpful... but what does any of this have to do with open source?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Slightly Bunkers

Sorry I thought open source was for general queries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

To answer the OPs question - the Canon 500D afaik can record full HD at 30fps. With a >500MB filesize for approx 3 minutes of footage I would expect you would be recording at the highest quality and possibly uncompressed.

If your internet connection is a bit slow, you'd actually be best sharing it on either a USB stick or a 'Data DVD' (ie not burning it as a DVD as the resolution would be too big for the disc to be able to display correctly, but using the disc as a storage medium which they can put in their computer and copy the data from.) If you do happen to have a decent internet speed and it's slow on the youtube side, you could try a site like http://yousendit.com, but a lot of these sites have a half-gig upload cap unless you pay.

Your other option is to compress the file and shrink it down to DV-PAL resolution (standard DVD resolution) with a video editor, and then upload to youtube or vimeo. It should reduce the filesize to less than 50MB and thus upload much quicker.

Advertisement