Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiology or Pharmacology or Neuroscience

Options
  • 06-06-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Doing my Leaving Cert next year and I want to do Medicine .But just in case I dont get in,wanted to have some backup options.
    Which one of these courses are closest to Medicine : Physiology/Pharmacology/Neuroscience?
    Could anyone doing these courses give a little insight .And what would I be able to do with the qualifications from these courses?Is it possible to do a PhD on any of the above in Ireland and how?

Thanks allot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

My own opinion would be to put them in preference of who you listed them yourself. Physiology, pharmacology then neuroscience.

However, if you plan on going to UCD they aren't the closest courses you can get to Medicine. Biomedical, Health and Life Sciences would be more in the right direction for that. This year a quarter of first years HPAT has fairly safely secured them a place in Med, quite a few of them should be able to stay in UCD too. You get the greatest share of Medicine modules throughout the four years and if repeating the HPAT doesn't get you there then the course itself is actually excellent preparation for the GAMSAT.
    Just something to think about! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm

If you haven't already seen this page this might be handy for looking at the modules offered by different courses.

For Biomed. go to:
    Degrees by CAO code > Medicine > DN440 Biomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nerd1

I was thinking about grad entry .But I heard that I will have to pay yearly cost for grad entry myself(so it works out around 12k per year in UCD ) ,and would be the only obstacle for me doing grad entry.Anyone know any ways to overcome this payment?

I was thinking to do a course containing anatomy and physiology ,but have some disease research in the same field .And UCD doesn't offer much detail on ,which fields I will be able to work on upon finishing the course.

With physiology ,what kind of research carriers are there?Biomed seems to be very close to what I want ,haven't even looked at that before :) ,thanks 'Exothermic' .

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Nerd1 wrote: »
    Doing my Leaving Cert next year and I want to do Medicine .But just in case I dont get in,wanted to have some backup options.
    Which one of these courses are closest to Medicine : Physiology/Pharmacology/Neuroscience?
    Could anyone doing these courses give a little insight .And what would I be able to do with the qualifications from these courses?Is it possible to do a PhD on any of the above in Ireland and how?

Thanks allot

Hey, 3rd year neuroscience here, PM me if you'd like some info! :)

Advertisement